Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

So....is it best to run this via HDMI 2.1 port or DP on PC? Some people suggesting the dolby vision bug is only tied to those using DP? Using an RTX 4090..
DP for PC. Your limited to 144hz when using HDMI so only use that with consoles

Edit: actually that might be just for the 27" model. Either way I personally would still use DP on PC

Last edited:
27" versions showing as delivery from tomorrow still.
A few people are reporting they cancelled their original order to order again with the 'sooner' delivery date (i.e. some as soon as today) but there's no movement at all on the order page or any monitors arriving.

I think it makes sense to just keep the original order at this point. Mine is still saying September 20th!

I have been looking for an OLED monitor to replace my ageing 27" IPS ASUS PG279Q monitor for the last three years, ever since I bought my first OLED TV (55" LG B9). However, there was nothing really available until last year but I found the 2023 OLED monitors to be a bit of letdown and just couldn't decide on any particular one as they all had major issues: weak brightness, lack of HDMI 2.1, clunky user interfaces and so on. In the end I just decided to wait and just before Christmas saw a YouTube video showcasing Dell's new monitors to be released in early January. Happy to wait, I was disappointed that the US got them in early January as stated, after CES, but could find no release date for the UK.

I was looking at the Guru3D.com forum yesterday, literally before I left work, and saw that the 2024 Dell QD-OLED monitors were finally going on sale in the UK. I went straight to the Dell UK site, expecting not to find the monitors, but to my surprise, I not only found the 27" 360 Hz AW2725DF I'd been eagerly waiting for but that I could order one for delivery on Thursday, 8th February. I really wasn't expecting that nor the price which was much lower than I was expecting at £779 rather than the £900-£1,000 of the 2023 27" OLED monitors. I couldn't order one fast enough!

I've been hitting F5 on my order since and it has finally changed to In Production step with a shipping estimate of today (7th) and delivery still for tomorrow (8th). As luck would have it, I had booked a long weekend so I will be off work Thursday and Friday so this is perfect timing, assuming the monitor does arrive tomorrow.

I was considering upgrading from a 1440p to 4K display as I have an i5-13600KF PC with a RTX 4080 Founders Edition graphics card but decided to stick with 1440p for several reasons. One is that I have limited space in my desktop space as I have two shelves above where I sit and the work surface is fixed to the walls and cannot be moved. As such, I have a height restriction on monitors so I think 27" is the largest I can comfortably accommodate and still have some room to move the monitor up and down if needed. The second and third reason are that I personally do not like curved displays and the stand on the 32" QD-OLED monitor looks horrible, like chicken feet (and what's with the white parts?). So the 27" monitor was an easy choice.

My only concerns now I've ordered one (Buyer's Remorse!) and spent yesterday rewatching the reviews on YouTube and reading some new text reviews online are the text fringing, which I was led to believe would be addressed with the 3rd generation QD-OLED panels, and the raised blacks/purple screen in daylight. The text fringing issue is one of the things that put me off buying one of last year's 27" OLED monitors so I was disappointed to find that it is only really fixed on the 4K monitor due to the higher pixel density. I guess it remains to be seen how annoying it actually is but, unfortunately, it isn't like I could actually go out and see what this looked like on this monitor before I bought it. As for the raised blacks/purple screen issue; I do play games in a room with the blinds shut at all times and one of the curtains drawn (yes I have blinds and curtains!) so the room isn't too bright. However, I am still somewhat surprised that this is even an issue with QD-OLED as my own experience with my LG B9 TV, my Switch OLED and Steam Deck OLED is that the blacks look blacks regardless of the lighting. I can live with the purple cast to the screen while the monitor is off but really hope this isn't noticeable while the monitor is in use.

We are now in 2024 and it seems like we still aren't at the point where there is a perfect display technology that doesn't have any issues. I just hope that the AW2725DF is much closer to my idea of perfection than my current monitor which has poor black levels and annoying IPS glow.

P.S. Is the Dell AW2725DF definitely G-SYNC compatible? I've seen some reviews claim the monitor does not support G-SYNC yet other reviews say it is, also backed up by a couple of posts from people who have the monitor who say it is G-SYNC compatible. I kind of love G-SYNC on my current monitor - it's easily the best thing about the PG279Q - and when I ordered the monitor I admit I did so without double checking it worked with G-SYNC. I am not a fan of AMD's graphics cards so it is unlikely that I will ever switch from NVIDIA.

P.P.S. The sweet thing about having a 360 Hz display is that I will be able to use NVIDIA's DLSS3 frame generation without game's being limited to 158 fps as they currently are on my 165 Hz monitor. I know frame generation is faked frames but I love it and find that it does make games look noticeably smoother in motion but most of the game's I play are limited by the refresh rate of my current panel. Frame generation works better with higher framerates so this is definitely one thing I am looking forward to trying even though I don't play or have any interest in competitive online gaming.

Last edited:
As for the raised blacks/purple screen issue; I do play games in a room with the blinds shut at all times and one of the curtains drawn (yes I have blinds and curtains!) so the room isn't too bright. However, I am still somewhat surprised that this is even an issue with QD-OLED as my own experience with my LG B9 TV, my Switch OLED and Steam Deck OLED is that the blacks look blacks regardless of the lighting. I can live with the purple cast to the screen while the monitor is off but really hope this isn't noticeable while the monitor is in use.
It's cause they lack the polarised layer, I think fact they aren't true glossy doesn't help either, I know my S90C looks more black then my AW34

Last edited:
It's cause they lack the polarised layer, I think fact they aren't true glossy doesn't help either, I know my S90C looks more black then my AW34

So is this similar to IPS glow because my understanding is that occurs because the screen lacks a polarised layer? I really hope this isn't the same thing because I have grown to really despise the glow on my IPS panel over the years and the last thing I want is to own another screen with the same issue!!!

Last edited:
P.S. Is the Dell AW2725DF definitely G-SYNC compatible? I've seen some reviews claim the monitor does not support G-SYNC yet other reviews say it is, also backed up by a couple of posts from people who have the monitor who say it is G-SYNC compatible. I kind of love G-SYNC on my current monitor - it's easily the best thing about the PG279Q - and when I ordered the monitor I admit I did so without double checking it worked with G-SYNC. I am not a fan of AMD's graphics cards so it is unlikely that I will ever switch from NVIDIA.
If people who have the monitor say VRR is working with Nvidia cards then I wouldn't worry but the official ruling from Dell is no G-SYNC certification.
VRR specs for the 27" below taken from Dells site.

Adaptive-Sync Technology
AMD FreeSync™ Technology: Yes, AMD FreeSync™ Premium Pro
VESA AdaptiveSync Display Certification:Yes

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom