Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

And.. just purchased got it for £783 with an employers code and I’ll see if I can get a bit of cash back on top. I’ve used topcashback website tells me it may take upto 7 days to show.

Just wanted to say what fantastic bunch you all are on this forum/thread .. you’ve cost me a few extra quid from what I initially was going to spend (I’ve told the missus it’s 400 quid) :D and we’ll be living on beans for a month haha.

It was a close call between the DWF and the QF but a small percentage of console use newer Gen3 display and the 4k specs swung me. Cheers to everyone and I’ll let you know my thoughts etc when it arrives.

Last edited:
And.. just purchased got it for £783 with an employers code and I’ll see if I can get a bit of cash back on top. I’ve used topcashback website tells me it may take upto 7 days to show.

Just wanted to say what fantastic bunch you all are on this forum/thread .. you’ve cost me a few extra quid from what I initially was going to spend (I’ve told the missus it’s 400 quid) :D and we’ll be living on beans for a month haha.

It was a close call between the DWF and the QF but a small percentage of console use newer Gen3 display and the 4k specs swung me. Cheers to everyone and I’ll let you know my thoughts etc when it arrives.

Glad you managed to get a code mate.

I just put in my cashback claim manually too. 'Please allow up to 6 months to get a decision from the retailer.' :cry:

Does also say "In an upcoming driver"
I did a quick video to test, seems below 60fps the VRR sync on the display remains above 60 and bounces, not that it's exhibited by any artefacts on screen or anything, but interesting to note, once into the high fps range the VRR syncs fine to the refresh rate. All whilst GSYNC indicator remains active indicating GSYNC is working, but I guess the next driver update expands that GSYNC active range down to 40Hz:

Last edited:
I did a quick video to test, seems below 60fps the VRR sync on the display remains above 60 and bounces, not that it's exhibited by any artefacts on screen or anbything, but interesting to note, once ito the high fps range the VRR syncs fine to the refresh rate. All whilst GSYNC indicator remains active indicating GSYNC is working, but I guess the next driver update expands that GSYNC active range down to 40Hz:

My only concern is the monitor has been out now for close to 7 months. Does it really take this long for official driver support?

What I'm saying is perhaps it will never come.

Last edited:
It took over a year for Dell to finally add firmware update support to the DW for example, so who knows, maybe it won't ever come, but will it actually be an issue if it doesn't for the most part?

Edit* NV site says over DisplayPort, does that mean GSYNC range fully works over HDMI then or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Can someone put together a simple guide how to optimise the monitor for the first time?

What are the basics settings we need to enable and calibrate?

For example I found this, is this still accurate?

I don't see him use the windows HDR app in this video.

Last edited:
Can someone put together a simple guide how to optimise the monitor for the first time?

What are the basics settings we need to enable and calibrate?

For example I found this, is this still accurate?

I don't see him use the windows HDR app in this video.
The exact same settings that applied to the AW3423DW/DWF ()with a couple of differences) would apply here as the settings/calibrations from factory etc follow the same process.

So for me it's:

In OSD:
Creator mode > SRGB > Gamma 2.2.

HDR mode set to HDR Peak 1000 to maximise the HDR brightness range when viewing HDR stuff.

Dolby Vision turned off

Brightness and contrast for SDR is at 42/66.

In Windows:
Windows HDR calibration tool used to create a HDR profile.

Windows HDR mode only enabled when you are about to play a game in HDR or watch HDR content. All other times HDR is off and the monitor is in SDR mode. Windows cannot do proper HDR<>SDR content display and in HDR mode you will see brightness change as larger and smaller white parts of the content in SDR come into view.

No colour profiles in SDR mode in Windows are attached to the monitor, this includes if you installed the Alienware software as it imports a profile which messes with accurate colour rendering. Only the HDR calibration profile exists and this only gets used in HDR mode by Windows.

Don't install anyone else's "calibrated" profiles, these will not work for you as every panel is different. The only time an SDR profile should exist is if you have a calibration device and have manually calibrated to your liking. Such as using a SPyder Pro or Xrite Colormunki etc. I have noticed that this gen QD-OLED has a custom colour mode which the DW/DWF do not have so this means finer control over custom calibrations which I may play with later, though Creator mode as above so far appears to be very accurate anyway and reviews show this too so I'll ;lave be for now.

Enable the 10-bit colour mode in the Nvidia control panel as it's 8-bit by default and check the refresh rate is correct as by default Windows sets to something lower. Gsync is on by default anyway but can also check this in NVCP at the same time. Set your maximum fps to 235 in NVCP so there is no chance of overshoot leading to tearing if you have a game that can go above 240fps.

Don't use Windows Auto HDR, or RTX HDR. They are pseudo HDR modes and can look odd in modern games.

You will now have the most accurate colours when viewing 99% of everything, and have accurate HDR the remaining time when playing a game or watching HDR stuff.

Last edited:
The exact same settings that applied to the AW3423DW/DWF ()with a couple of differences) would apply here as the settings/calibrations from factory etc follow the same process.

So for me it's:

In OSD:
Creator mode > SRGB > Gamma 2.2.

HDR mode set to HDR Peak 1000 to maximise the HDR brightness range when viewing HDR stuff.

Dolby Vision turned off

Brightness and contrast for SDR is at 42/66.

In Windows:
Windows HDR calibration tool used to create a HDR profile.

Windows HDR mode only enabled when you are about to play a game in HDR or watch HDR content. All other times HDR is off and the monitor is in SDR mode. Windows cannot do proper HDR<>SDR content display and in HDR mode you will see brightness change as larger and smaller white parts of the content in SDR come into view.

No colour profiles in SDR mode in Windows are attached to the monitor, this includes if you installed the Alienware software as it imports a profile which messes with accurate colour rendering. Only the HDR calibration profile exists and this only gets used in HDR mode by Windows.

Don't install anyone else's "calibrated" profiles, these will not work for you as every panel is different. The only time an SDR profile should exist is if you have a calibration device and have manually calibrated to your liking. Such as using a SPyder Pro or Xrite Colormunki etc. I have noticed that this gen QD-OLED has a custom colour mode which the DW/DWF do not have so this means finer control over custom calibrations which I may play with later, though Creator mode as above so far appears to be very accurate anyway and reviews show this too so I'll ;lave be for now.

Enable the 10-bit colour mode in the Nvidia control panel as it's 8-bit by default and check the refresh rate is correct as by default Windows sets to something lower. Gsync is on by default anyway but can also check this in NVCP at the same time. Set your maximum fps to 235 in NVCP so there is no chance of overshoot leading to tearing if you have a game that can go above 240fps.

You will now have the most accurate colours when viewing 99% of everything, and have accurate HDR the remaining time when playing a game or watching HDR stuff.thabks

Thanks!!

Just been to give my dad my DW as he was using the free Xiaomi 34" UW I got. Will now sell the Xiaomi instead as that's not available in the UK so be quite a good claw back of some £ and keeps the DW in the family which I'm happy about :D

how long is the power cable you get with the AW3225QF?

Didn't measure but seems the same as all other included power cables, about 1.8m?

Does AW3225QF perform dimming on static images like menu bars/ spreadsheets / office work?
There are no dimming options for menus etc on the QF. MSI/Asus etc have options for this, though this has never been an issue on any Alienware QD-OLED before so shouldn't be an issue now.

Back
Top Bottom