alienware AW3418DW Availability in the UK?

Associate
Hey All,

I am thinking about getting this monitor. What are some things I should check for in terms of quality? Things I can think of are

1. IPS Glow
2. BLB
3. Panel Uniformity
4. Frame skipping at over 100hz
5. Screen flicker at over 100hz

Anything else?

Soldato
Hey All,

I am thinking about getting this monitor. What are some things I should check for in terms of quality? Things I can think of are

1. IPS Glow
2. BLB
3. Panel Uniformity
4. Frame skipping at over 100hz
5. Screen flicker at over 100hz

Anything else?

That about covers it, but obviously until you actually get one in your hands you won't know. So goes the monitor lottery! :rolleyes:

Soldato
Noticed my screen flickers at 120HZ, but it's only started happening recently. Took it down to 115HZ and seemed to fix it :( I know 5HZ isn't much but still.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Get onto Dell support... Online chat told me that not achieving 120Hz would be grounds for requesting a replacement.

Soldato
Ain't that the truth. I spent £3000 on my full setup I got a friend who spent similar at the same time with me. Now both of us are struggling to find games we want to play. Either we are getting old or there just isn't enough variety of games at the mo. It's funny cos I've never seen so many options for systems and monitors and consoles but options for games seems weaker than ever.

But the monitor is something special tho!
I think it's part of getting older. When we are younger our imaginations are so much more powerful and vivid, now I'm just old and cynical with not much time :D
I really started loosing lots of interest in gaming in a big way as I hit my 40's (am 48 now) :(:mad:
Last game I can remember spending many hours on was the first crysis game back in end of 2007

I also think the internet these days have a lot to do with the lost of interest in gamings as I find myself wasting more and more hours every year just browsing the internet..

If there was no internet am sure I would have had a lot more interest still in gaming and would still be playing games for hours every day or week..;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I really started loosing lots of interest in gaming in a big way as I hit my 40's (am 48 now) :(:mad:
Last game I can remember spending many hours on was the first crysis game back in end of 2007

I also think the internet these days have a lot to do with the lost of interest in gamings as I find myself wasting more and more hours every year just browsing the internet..

If there was no internet am sure I would have had a lot more interest still in gaming and would still be playing games for hours every day or week..;)

I'm not quite in my 40's yet but I can still relate to a certain degree... I certainly have gone long periods of time without really being able to get in to a game or finding myself that interested. I have very much enjoyed playing No Man's Sky of late though, and found that to be quite a relaxing experience. I wonder if that's more to do with the type of game it is. So many games just bore me, even if they seem action packed and exciting on the surface... probably because so many are just hollow underneath.

I definitely know what you mean about being able to get lost for hours online though... not in a bad sense necessarily, and I don't think I'd call it a waste of time... but entirely depends what you're browsing lol! ;)

Associate
Does anyone know if it is possible to use Dell monitor leg with AW3418DW ? It seems the socket is idential to Dells.
I really don't like how the Alienware leg looks in addition to the fact that it needs a really deep desk.

Caporegime
Does anyone know if it is possible to use Dell monitor leg with AW3418DW ? It seems the socket is idential to Dells.
I really don't like how the Alienware leg looks in addition to the fact that it needs a really deep desk.
A few on Reddit have had the bracket shear and the screen dumped onto their desk, usually damaging it.

Associate
hi all, i've had my dell about a month now and had only adjusted a few things up to now. but today i thought i'd try the OC and for some reason i only have an option of 105hz, am i doing summut wrong or is it a crappy monitor so to speak? thanks

2hwpclw.jpg

2hwpclw.jpg
tinypic.com

Last edited:
Associate
hi all, i've had my dell about a month now and had only adjusted a few things up to now. but today i thought i'd try the OC and for some reason i only have an option of 105hz, am i doing summut wrong or is it a crappy monitor so to speak? thanks
2hwpclw.jpg
tinypic.com

As mentioned above adjust on the monitor first - noting it goes up in 5Hz increments.

Associate
Curious how people are getting on with their monitors and screen flickering at 120Hz?
I've had two of these now, and both have developed this issue after about 6 weeks.

Was I unlucky or is this a common issue?

I went with a 16:9 monitor in the end, but really want a nice 21:9 again.

Thanks!

Associate
thanks all, just updated it and all's ok now... the screen itself is great apart from a little isp glow/torch light in corners. but tbh i'm not going to change it as its not too bad and i could end upwith worse like when changing my tv 5 years back :)

Associate
Curious how people are getting on with their monitors and screen flickering at 120Hz?
I've had two of these now, and both have developed this issue after about 6 weeks.

Was I unlucky or is this a common issue?

I went with a 16:9 monitor in the end, but really want a nice 21:9 again.

Thanks!

Thankfully no issues with mine however a friend who purchased at the same time has mentioned flickering as an issue.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
On sale for £752

Good price! I think last time round it was 799. I sold mine because I was moving back to Mac and done with gaming. However after looking at all the options from Apple I am almost certainly going to be building another PC. This monitor was epic, but I think it may be weird to buy it again when I only sold it several months ago.

I'm planning to build my new PC in Feb, so the decision is do I buy this monitor now and hook it up to my laptop in the short term of wait until Feb or see whats on offer/coming out.

Currently I'm considering in my Feb build the Asus pg279q which is 680ish currently.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OK so caved in. Managed to get student discount via my brother so £677 was hard to pass. I’ll use this on my laptop until I build a rig in Feb.

Same price as the Asus I was looking at but this will be covered by the Dell premium panel warranty for 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom