Altered Carbon

Caporegime
Ortega is smoking (especially in episode 9 ;)) and a badass!

On the last episode and I am liking it; some of the threads can a tad tricky to follow and it was a sluggish start but very much entertained.

Caporegime
Only thing I wasn't keen on was Kinnaman's acting (if that's what you call it), but he's a good bit of eye candy and handles the action pretty well. Guess you can't have everything :D

Man of Honour
I thought it serviceable for the role - won't set the world on fire but didn't really detract either.

EDIT: On a sort of related note just having a quick skim of the cast bios - had no idea James Purefoy (plays Bancroft) used to work at a place near me (long before my time).

Last edited:
Soldato
Just finished watching this. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks Netflix, this would never have been made by the likes of the BBC, et al.

God (if such a thing exists) help us if stacking ever becomes a reality.

Roll on season 2.

Associate
As a fan of the books, I enjoyed it. A lot.

In terms of the changes from the books, the main alteration I was not so keen on which I don't think is a spoiler....is the envoys concept. I'll spoiler anyway just to be safe.

They are, not were, the protectorates elite special forces unit. Not terrorists. It was when they quit/leave that they tend to end up in unsavoury situations as they are barred from a lot of things due to their unique skills. The book envoy role appears to be now the protectorate special forces role, I forget the name but it's the spec op dudes with the bug eye helmets that Tak was a part of, but not quite as badass as the actual envoys, that's extra push is now coming from the Quel training.

The introduction of Quel, whilst different/sooner than from the books (I think) is not unwelcome and makes sense for the TV show as their building the basis for future series.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Enjoyed it but thought the cinematography was too close to CSI / Flash / etc. Big budget concepts and ideas filmed in run-of-the-mill neon colour-contrasting environments. Might as well have been the inside of an RGB pc...

I did not understand this:
Why the need to double sleeve? I assume it was to keep Miriam occupied, but why?

Soldato
Enjoyed it but thought the cinematography was too close to CSI / Flash / etc. Big budget concepts and ideas filmed in run-of-the-mill neon colour-contrasting environments. Might as well have been the inside of an RGB pc...

I did not understand this:
Why the need to double sleeve? I assume it was to keep Miriam occupied, but why?

IIRC, Miriam had political reasons to want the vote on the Catholics to swing a certain way, and was somewhat in cahoots with Reileen Kawahara on that item. She could have tipped off Reileen. Kovacs wanted to keep the Riker sleeve safe for Ortega, as at that point we know her boyfriend was framed. The ninja sleeve Kovacs takes is actually better than Riker's sleeve, and much more capable of the assault on the floating brothel, but he doesn't really expect to survive the attack, determined to take Kawahara down even if it kills him.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
IIRC, Miriam had political reasons to want the vote on the Catholics to swing a certain way, and was somewhat in cahoots with Reileen Kawahara on that item. She could have tipped off Reileen. Kovacs wanted to keep the Riker sleeve safe for Ortega, as at that point we know her boyfriend was framed. The ninja sleeve Kovacs takes is actually better than Riker's sleeve, and much more capable of the assault on the floating brothel, but he doesn't really expect to survive the attack, determined to take Kawahara down even if it kills him.

Still feels a bit woolly
From the final events with his sister, I can't envisage how Miriam would have gotten in the way. There were a few scenes where you could see he really wanted to do the miriam-orgy but had to resist. I think this played a part, but I can't imagine it was the sole reason he printed a new sleeve.
He wanted to save Ortega a sleeve, but he was trying to do that with the one on the ship. Maybe belts n braces, but I don't think that was the reason either.
If it really was all of the above, I think that's a cool story, but it should have been more explicit in purpose (imo).
I imagine the book is clearer

Soldato
Still feels a bit woolly
From the final events with his sister, I can't envisage how Miriam would have gotten in the way. There were a few scenes where you could see he really wanted to do the miriam-orgy but had to resist. I think this played a part, but I can't imagine it was the sole reason he printed a new sleeve.
He wanted to save Ortega a sleeve, but he was trying to do that with the one on the ship. Maybe belts n braces, but I don't think that was the reason either.
If it really was all of the above, I think that's a cool story, but it should have been more explicit in purpose (imo).
I imagine the book is clearer

Miriam is actually quite dangerous in the book. She's a manipulative, devious 300 year old Meth. She beats up a pregnant woman (carrying Lauren Bancrofts child) and kills the baby. She doses her husband with a drug for revenge that causes him to viciously kill the catholic prostitute on Head in the Clouds. It's so horrible, he comes home and blows his brains out so he can't remember doing it. The Ryker sleeve who goes with her to he pleasure island is to keep her busy, but he obviously has some sort of feeling for her. However, he knows that is just a temporary thing, just as the other Kovacs knows that the affair with Ortega is a temporary thing that's based around the pheromones and history between Ortega and Ryker.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Miriam is actually quite dangerous in the book. She's a manipulative, devious 300 year old Meth. She beats up a pregnant woman (carrying Lauren Bancrofts child) and kills the baby. She doses her husband with a drug for revenge that causes him to viciously kill the catholic prostitute on Head in the Clouds. It's so horrible, he comes home and blows his brains out so he can't remember doing it. The Ryker sleeve who goes with her to he pleasure island is to keep her busy, but he obviously has some sort of feeling for her. However, he knows that is just a temporary thing, just as the other Kovacs knows that the affair with Ortega is a temporary thing that's based around the pheromones and history between Ortega and Ryker.
This is still an explanation of the events that happened on screen after that decision. I'm looking for the motivation.

Soldato
This is still an explanation of the events that happened on screen after that decision. I'm looking for the motivation.

In the end, it's because Kovacs finds the ninja combat sleeve and it's much better for combat and stealth than the Ryker sleeve. Why wouldn't he double sleeve if he expects to die in the attack on Head in the Clouds? He pretty much pinches the idea from Dimitry.

Permabanned
Gave up on it because of the terrible acting from numerous characters, most notably Ortega who if there is any justice in the world will never land another acting job again. So so bad.

Back
Top Bottom