• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AM4 B350/X370 black screen crash thread

Soldato
No, this was with the cpu at 3.95ghz - because even that was black screening with ram at 2400

I think this may be down to your IMC.
My cpu can do 3.9 only if I use memory at less than 3200. I can go 3466 if I use 3.8.
With you using 4 sticks you are putting more strain on your IMC.
Just my thoughts, I have nothing to back this up other than my own CPU.

Associate
I think this may be down to your IMC.
My cpu can do 3.9 only if I use memory at less than 3200. I can go 3466 if I use 3.8.
With you using 4 sticks you are putting more strain on your IMC.
Just my thoughts, I have nothing to back this up other than my own CPU.
I used my CPU at 3.0ghz 1.4V and memory 2400/2666 1.5V:) and it was still getting it. I think eyetrip just used his previous stable config 3.95

I could run 3.9 CPU, memory 3200 (120BCLK) stable but now I can't even pass at 2400:/ Something dodgy going on, either mems are gone or software. I would place my bet on Creators update (updated windows not fresh install of windows creators build) in addition to 4 sticks of ram or something like that.

Soldato
OP
Looking good so far for it pointing to either afterburner or Ryzen Power plan

Am leaning towards it being Ryzen Power plan.

After a few tests on bios 1201, thought would go back to 9945. So far several hours into HCI memtest with ram at 3066.

Soldato
Looking good so far for it pointing to either afterburner or Ryzen Power plan

Am leaning towards it being Ryzen Power plan.

After a few tests on bios 1201, thought would go back to 9945. So far several hours into HCI memtest with ram at 3066.

Good to hear. I'm sure it was that damn power plan that was causing me issues too. When it's all calmed down I'll go back to pstates and forget all about it.

Soldato
OP
If it is... Be interesting to know what the hell they have done with it to cause this sort of of problem.

I'm almost afraid to try re=enabling it again to test in case it never disables again :)

Soldato
OP
Well, have been going strong so far with 3.975Ghz on CPU and 3066 on ram.

Have re-enabled Afterburner and seems ok - though not done extensive testing since then.

So, it's almost certainly the Ryzen power plan causing issues.

Soldato
OP
WTF?

Don't know why I felt the need to go back and look at power plan, but did, and the frigging Ryzen balanced plan was selected again!

So, I don't know when this happened - or how much of my testing was now with that enabled/disabled... but if it was enabled, why has everything been working fine since I made that change?

**** I am so sick of this. I have set it back to high performance, and hopefully it sticks and my system keeps running without ******** issues.

Associate
Thanks for suggesting afterburner :)

Seems to be working for me without it. Started slowly, 2666 at 3.9ghz and it is looking good for older bios and latest beta. Gonna do more testing tomorrow. At first I switched off ryzen plan, uninstalled amd drivers, but this didn't change anything still black screens. Changing settings in afterburner not to start with Windows helped right away.

I wonder why it worked before with it but not anymore.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for suggesting afterburner :)

Seems to be working for me without it. Started slowly, 2666 at 3.9ghz and it is looking good for older bios and latest beta. Gonna do more testing tomorrow. At first I switched off ryzen plan, uninstalled amd drivers, but this didn't change anything still black screens. Changing settings in afterburner not to start with Windows helped right away.

I wonder why it worked before with it but not anymore.

Well, I'm having to go through it all again.

Currently with both disabled again, but also my pll voltage on auto (which puts a massive 1.94v though) which is the only voltage I changed in between getting successful runs and not.

Also, with having Ryzen Power plan enabled when I thought it was disabled... Basically, back to the drawing board.

I think I'm forgetting what it's like to actually use my home PC...

Soldato
OP
Looks like afterburner was the cause.

I had inadvertently tested with just afterburner disabled (as somehow Ryzen Power plan was still enabled) and was getting by without black screen.

Have left Ryzen plan disabled since, but testing with afterburner enabled re-introduced black screen.

Was also seeing other instability.

So now on 3.925ghz cpu ( to always keep under 1.4v), 3066 ram, but having to test the ram again fully now...

Have had to do soooooooooo much testing to get here.

What's an alternative to afterburner.

Soldato
Looks like afterburner was the cause.

I had inadvertently tested with just afterburner disabled (as somehow Ryzen Power plan was still enabled) and was getting by without black screen.

Have left Ryzen plan disabled since, but testing with afterburner enabled re-introduced black screen.

Was also seeing other instability.

So now on 3.925ghz cpu ( to always keep under 1.4v), 3066 ram, but having to test the ram again fully now...

Have had to do soooooooooo much testing to get here.

What's an alternative to afterburner.

Glad you found it mate. If using afterburner/rivatuner as on overlay and both and its giving you issues then try NZXT CAM its beta (still!) but I've found it useful, not as comprehensive as afterburner and the detection isn't as good, bear in mind the last time I used it was almost a year ago so it may have improved.

Soldato
OP
Oh boy, my familiar friend back again!

Upgraded to 1080ti and moved back to air cooling.

Not running afterburner and getting these again now when under load in occt!

Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to drawing board I go!

Soldato
OP
Didn't make a list that of changes today.

Well, i did, but software-wise is limited.

Hardware :
removed water cooled 980ti and replaced with air cooled 1080ti.

Removed all water cooling for cpu and replaced with cryorig r1.

Oh, also plugged in the 4 pin cpu power - just because. Don't expect it to achieve anything.

Bios :

Upped the soc voltage ever so slightly as was noticing that slight pause again during disk access, which did appear to help

Software :
Reinstalled chipset drivers as first attempt at fixing pausing. Did set power plan to high performance.

Installed palit 'thundermaster' as oc alternative to afterburner.

Installed couple of games.

Have tried :
First reloaded saved bios settings that were defo passing (with afterburner disabled to prevent black screen). Didn't help.

Tried upping various voltages. Didn't work.

Closed thundermaster, still black screen.

Uninstalled afterburner, thundermaster, and hwinfo64. Seems to not have black screened, but didn't pass an hour of occt either!

Wtf?

Changing what I did shouldn't affect the cpu. OK, temps are higher than water but still only hitting low to mid 70s.

This system.... It's beyond comprehension.

Xyz

Xyz

Associate
My RMA got approved by AMD today. If they ship my replacement out tomorrow I should have it by next week.

Back
Top Bottom