Will you pay to remove adverts?

• Yes

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • No

Votes: 165 80.1%
  • Comedy Option

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters
My Annual membership just ran out, and whilst I normally renew every year, last years price increase already left a bad taste, and as I don't order very often I'll probably just take a monthly sub for prime day and binge watch anything I've missed out on, which will probably only be The Boys and the second half of the season of Invincible now that Lower Decks is on Paramount.

Last edited:
If others are like me they'll order less from Amazon if they don't have prime, but I imagine Amazon are at the stage where they no longer want volume growth but margin growth as they've killed off most of the competition.

If others are like me they'll order less from Amazon if they don't have prime, but I imagine Amazon are at the stage where they no longer want volume growth but margin growth as they've killed off most of the competition.

I order much less than I would with prime. Amazon isn't as competitive in a lot of cases now.

Especially as it has so many third party sellers. Ebay, amazon, etsy, Aliexpress. They are all blending into each other more and more.

It will be later than February for Spain anyway and my current subscription doesn't end till April 24. Annual price is only 49.95 Euros anyway, I think I would easily handle that going up to 70 ish a year to get rid of adverts without caring. I will wait and see how aggressive the adverts are but I watched more Prime content than I thought this year and I have 1 more episode of Reacher before the end of the year :D

My prime benefits page shows 7 deliveries (although My orders shows 15 for 2023 and most were same day deliveries which is a Prime Benefit). 161 shows/films watched. Less deliveries than I thought and more shows over the last 12 months. Boys S3, Gen V, Jack Ryan S4, Invincible S2, Citadel, Reacher S2, Upload S3, Jury Duty...off the top of my head!

I think this URL should show the same info for UK subscribers:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/primecentral?ref_=nav_AccountFlyout_prime

rp2000

Last edited:
Just seen Netflix have discontinued the basic plan which I'd dropped down to due to not using it so much, and now I keep getting a full screen splash trying to make me change to either the ad supported plan or premium :(

I'll more likely just cancel that as well at this point - I don't make enough use of it to justify the standard plan and I don't do ads in TV shows or movies as I said above.

Last edited:
This is my Prime Benefits:

Screenshot-2023-12-29-at-11-16-51.png

I made 48 orders in 2023 but most of those were kindle books or tv shows / movies so no Prime benefit for those. I'd be surprised if the Prime Video figures were accurate, not sure if that counts paid for things / Paramount+ (I binged the new Beavis and Butthead series via a trial and used the Amazon app).

Last edited:
Done a quick survey of the family and the conclusion is that we'll keep Prime but stop watching Prime Video.

I might ditch the whole thing next year. The delivery made it justifiable, with Deliveroo, Music and Video being benefits that helped me to feel like it was an OK deal. But the Music is now (to me) unusable without paying extra, the TV is unusable without paying extra, and I'm only using Deliveroo when vouchers appear which is becoming increasingly rare. It will force me to judge it more on what I get from the deliveries.

This is my Prime Benefits:

Screenshot-2023-12-29-at-11-16-51.png

I made 48 orders in 2023 but most of those were kindle books or tv shows / movies so no Prime benefit for those. I'd be surprised if the Prime Video figures were accurate, not sure if that counts paid for things / Paramount+ (I binged the new Beavis and Butthead series via a trial and used the Amazon app).

I just save up orders until I get past the 25 pound mark. Which is free delivery.

Most of my shopping is away from amazon now. I feel if I had prime I'd go to amazon more even if it wasn't cheapest. That's the main reason I wouldn't have prime.

Last edited:
Some of them have ads on the most basic tier but only a few like Now TV have an added subscription on top of the normal (reasonable) fee to remove ads :( and that is a total joke as if you go to cancel and/or cancel for a month on Now TV you can just endlessly get offers to pay what would be a reasonable price, or less... I paid I think less than £4/m for Entertainment + Boost for the last 12 months and I don't think my current offer, which is basically Entertainment + Boost for the normal price of Entertainment runs out until May... *shakes head*.
Went to cancel Now tv yesterday, immediately got an offer for £3.99 for 6 months. Whole thing is a joke.

This thread reminded me to check mine as it's up in a few days. Have decided to give it up as items on amazon are no longer as cheap as they once was, when compared to elsewhere. Prime video was only good for 2-3 shows anyway, so won't miss it.

The usual - you buy into “prime” then find you need “prime prime” and the year after you need “prime prime prime”. (Geeky joke in formal methods of prime’’)

In short you’re buying into a inflationary mechanism.. the pay conveyor continues to push you down so you need to pay more to stay at the same position, again and again.

Pity the number of shows that are worth more.. are reducing exponentially more and more.. so it’s a double whammy.

Being in Northern Ireland Amazon free delivery works well for me - most online retailers charge stupid money to NI even on small items. Don’t watch much on there so hoping there’ll be a delivery only sub available and anything I want to watch I’ll just get through less legal means unfortunately.

Last edited:
The usual - you buy into “prime” then find you need “prime prime” and the year after you need “prime prime prime”. (Geeky joke in formal methods of prime’’)

In short you’re buying into a inflationary mechanism.. the pay conveyor continues to push you down so you need to pay more to stay at the same position, again and again.

Pity the number of shows that are worth more.. are reducing exponentially more and more.. so it’s a double whammy.

Yep. Good old bait and switch.

It isn't like they all don't make enough money already...

Back
Top Bottom