Amazon Prime - Dont have it then you can wait.

Soldato
How come it has turned so bad recently? I know it's run up to Christmas right now so would expect things to be a little bit worse but it's been like this a while. Is it just because they don't want to pay Royal Mail/DPD for a decent service?

I think it's because they've bundled so much into it, that it's increasingly difficult to keep it financially viable so they're adding small print and cutting corners.

Associate
See how much it would cost to order on Saturday and have it delivered Sunday with either of these two. Or even, ordered Sunday lunch time, delivered before 10pm. Amazon do this for free... I would guess at least £10 from Royal Mail or DPD.

Yeah, but with the volume of business Amazon would be putting their way there is no chance that it would cost them that much (not that they wouldn't pass it on to the consumer).

Associate
Why have I been paying for Prime when Amazon do this for free? How do I sign up to this free service?

Alright, assuming you use none of Prime's other services at all, ever, then you're paying £6.50 a month for the delivery service.

So answer the chaps question. Find a courier that will deliver anything bought on a Saturday, to be delivered on the Sunday, for less.

He's a good starting point. The Royal Mail minimum charge is £10.70 for next day delivery on a Saturday (not even a Sunday) for their absolute smallest parcel size (less than 100g). Off you go...

Last edited:
Soldato
Alright, assuming you use none of Prime's other services at all, ever, then you're paying £6.50 a month for the delivery service.

I don't use any of their other services, I pay for Netflix and Spotify and I get free full res photo storage with my Pixel XL. I just counted the items I've bought from Amazon this year; 26 items. I just input "80/26" into my calculator, and it says £3.07. That isn't free! It's not even close to free.

And, I'd like to remind you of your original statement:
Nowadays if I'm using a different site and see they charge £3.99 delivery (3-5 days) I'm outraged!

Soldato
I just counted the items I've bought from Amazon this year; 26 items. I just input "80/26" into my calculator, and it says £3.07. That isn't free! It's not even close to free.

In comparison I do use Amazon Video and Amazon music and the delivery service and based on the number of orders this year my cost per delivery is 63p, and this has included Divan bases, headboards and massive framed canvases. If I was to subtract the video and music rental from it, then I would estimate each delivery for me was -£xp, and then there were the 3 late deliveries this year (yes 3 out of 126) that earned me an extra months prime, so £80 for 15 months Prime, so in effect I still have 3 months more deliveries to come for my £80.

Edit - also forgot it included 2 or 3 deliveries I had sent to my sister in Ireland which were included in the £80 and considering I checked with another courier for one of those deliveries as I was going to get it delivered to me, setup then sent on, and they wanted £26 to cover the value under insurance.

Associate
I don't use any of their other services, I pay for Netflix and Spotify and I get free full res photo storage with my Pixel XL. I just counted the items I've bought from Amazon this year; 26 items. I just input "80/26" into my calculator, and it says £3.07. That isn't free! It's not even close to free.

And, I'd like to remind you of your original statement:

So you pay a subscription for a service you don't use much? Not entirely sure what your argument is? If I paid monthly for Spotify and rarely used it then that'd be largely pointless wouldn't it.....

In any case, your 26 items at the Post Office (assuming all items less than 100g (the weight of a single DVD), and the smallest parcel size) those 26 items would have cost you £114. Can I assume that your 26 items weighed more than that of a single DVD? Had you bought a circular saw as part of those items, as I did, it would have cost you £43 for a single item.

I'm also unsure as to why you remind me of my original statement? You've just proved me entirely right?

Even with your relatively low delivery total of 26 items;

Amazon - Next Day - £3.00 per delivery (whether it's a DVD or a Sofa)
Elsewhere - 3 to 5 working days £3.99 per delivery. (or £4.99 for a pair of trainers, as described above).

Man of Honour
I count the parcel as effectively free
As o use both streaming and music, and if you look at how much that alone would cost with other providers it would be more expensive.

Soldato
I count the parcel as effectively free
As o use both streaming and music, and if you look at how much that alone would cost with other providers it would be more expensive.

Agreed, but I'd personally prefer a service that is delivery alone because I already pay for Sky and Netflix and Spotify. Amazon force me to subsidise those that use their streaming services.

Soldato
77 orders this year, the majority fulfilled by Prime. I can't remember any not being delivered next day. I've selected slower delivery for Pantry credit a few times recently, and some of those still came next day.

Associate
Not much help there :(
Just offered to cancel my order or message the distribution centre and a £5 voucher
Still no movement on my order.
picked the call me option, told the same scripted response I've had twice already - "we'll message the fulfilment centre and ask them to expedite it"
Asked to speak to the supervisor who tells me they cannot action a replacement until it's despatched.
The only option available is to cancel the order and reorder again :rolleyes:

Soldato
I placed a order for 3 things fairly late on Monday and was surprised to see they gave me a delivery estimate of Tuesday still. Tuesday arrives and 1 of 3 items is delivered and it is in a rather tatty condition. :/ The other 2 items arrived on Wednesday so not the end of the world.

Soldato
Looks like Amazon are victims of their own success at the moment - they obviously didn't scale their Prime delivery service enough this season. Have had a few late deliveries leading up to Xmas but nothing to cause any hardship. With the video streaming as well still prob the best subscription out there

Back
Top Bottom