• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 6800 & 6800 XT MBA LAUNCH AT 2PM TODAY - EXTREMELY LIMITED STOCK!

Associate
Everyone needs to accept that AMD will probably have worse RT than Nvidia, at least until RDNA3. They’re still developing it and we don’t know if the cards have sufficient hardware to compete relative to Nvidia.

A second point, RT is basically useless without something like DLSS, so that’s also something we need to wait for from AMD.
I don't see a need/reason to use RT in games as even 3090 is not fast enough to handle it with high framerate and I am getting 3840x1600@160Hz monitor as soon as LG refresh their stock (hopefully before Christmas).
Not that it's still getting supported in many titles.

Associate
I don't see a need/reason to use RT in games as even 3090 is not fast enough to handle it with high framerate and I am getting 3840x1600@160Hz monitor as soon as LG refresh their stock (hopefully before Christmas).

Yea, even though Nvidia are better, it’s still bad. Maybe with consoles getting it, there’ll be some focus on optimising it.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

.l

Couple of the £659.99 cards had 10+ in stock for several hours the other night - sadly still selling albeit slowly at that price.

See, I don't see that as sad. I see that as less competition for cards when the start dropping back to reasonable prices. I'm more than happy for the fools to buy at inflated prices.

Associate

Well half the reason I upgraded is for actual 4K support over 60FPS average constant, so if the game's support is good enough to stop random drops/lagging I have no complaints!

Associate
on a serious note, is there any alternative gpu (reasonably priced) that can do 1440p at 144hz in games? I was eagerly waiting for a 6800 but it is not worth the price and given how things are, not expecting it to go back to its msrp any time soon.

Associate
Well half the reason I upgraded is for actual 4K support over 60FPS average constant, so if the game's support is good enough to stop random drops/lagging I have no complaints!
Same reason I want to upgrade just going from WQHD 120Hz to WQHD+ 160Hz monitor, though I will use it probably just in 10bit 120Hz mode.
Once RT can run in 90-120Hz range on QHD+ I will use it, until that I prefer higher FPS over some slightly better lighting effect, Though I think we are still at least 2 generations before we get there.

Associate
on a serious note, is there any alternative gpu (reasonably priced) that can do 1440p at 144hz in games? I was eagerly waiting for a 6800 but it is not worth the price and given how things are, not expecting it to go back to its msrp any time soon.
Depends on what you count as resonable I suppose. The previous gen cards are still priced pretty high with the Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT at £499and at the sort of ultra-high resolutions that I like to play games at gets around 70-80 FPS at 1440p

Soldato
I'll leave it until June / July next year. My Vega 64 will tide me over until then.

Starting to think the same thing, it's actually fine at 1440p and I don't play games on launch anymore since they don't work properly or perform well until months afterwards. This is all such a waste of time.

Associate
You know, part of me still thinks this is some kind of devious artificial scarcity strategy to drive another price hike. Because once prices go up, they rarely - if ever - come back down again. Remember when £400 was considered very expensive for a GPU?

Associate
You know, part of me still thinks this is some kind of devious artificial scarcity strategy to drive another price hike. Because once prices go up, they rarely - if ever - come back down again. Remember when £400 was considered very expensive for a GPU?
artificial scarcity is not logical in a competitive market. if they had the cards to sell they would be selling them.

Soldato
Is it competitive though? Two manufacturers, who are both matching each other for price. That doesn't seem very competitive to me. :confused:
Nice conspiracy theory but you'd be mad to think there are a ton of nVidia and AMD cards (not to mention Xbox SX and PS5) sitting around somewhere as part of a grand master plan to hold them back

Associate
Nice conspiracy theory but you'd be mad to think there are a ton of nVidia and AMD cards (not to mention Xbox SX and PS5) sitting around somewhere as part of a grand master plan to hold them back

I never said they'd manufactured them, did I. Do you not find it strange how every year we have another excuse for prices to go up? Where will it end? £1000 for an entry level card? Maybe £2000?

Back
Top Bottom