• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 6800 & 6800 XT MBA LAUNCH AT 2PM TODAY - EXTREMELY LIMITED STOCK!

Associate
In other words, all this MSRP by NVidia and AMD are just marketing stunts, with small pilot number of "FE" models just to "prove" these prices are real. Then we see real AIB prices being £100+ higher (often more). Just very bad behaviour of both of AMD and NVidia here, creating hype trains and false impression of prices. And then there's also the horribly low stock... In any case, we can't blame retailers for that, I reckon.
And I assume competition having low prices whilst almost not having cards could've had some agreement with AMD for cheaper initial shipment (marketing stunt again) but we most likely won't have such low prices again for many months there.

Don't believe the ********. All other retailers managed to sell them for considerably lower prices than Overclockers did. This guy is not your friend regardless of what he'd have you believe he's just a typical businessmen but sadly one thats greedier than most. Overclockers consistantly charge inflated prices for everything not just launch items and you people constantly fall for his 'I am your buddy' sales pitch. The fact he drives around in a Ferrari should tell you that his profit margins are more than healthy!

Associate
I'm a bit confused by people saying the 6800XT benchmarks are disappointing. Are you talking about raytracing specifically? The review I read showed them pretty far behind the 3080 on ray tracing, but for everything else they seemed very competitive. I think the "9 game average" FPS had the 6080XT something like 3 FPS lower than the 3080, which seemed OK to me.

And the 6080XT just broke a world record in one 3DMark benchmark.

So what are people finding disappointing? Were you expecting the 6080XT to blow the 3080 out of the water?

Caporegime
£680 for the XTs, £600 for the non-XTs.

I believe XTs were £615 on a major competitor, but I only saw the price on that site for a few minutes before it disappeared, so I might be mis-remembering. People are saying OC were £80 more than others.
Post edited competitor talk avoid rule break.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm a bit confused by people saying the 6800XT benchmarks are disappointing. Are you talking about raytracing specifically? The review I read showed them pretty far behind the 3080 on ray tracing, but for everything else they seemed very competitive. I think the "9 game average" FPS had the 6080XT something like 3 FPS lower than the 3080, which seemed OK to me.

And the 6080XT just broke a world record in one 3DMark benchmark.

So what are people finding disappointing? Were you expecting the 6080XT to blow the 3080 out of the water?
Its significantly weaker at 4k than the 3080, some games around 10% slower so some people are a little disappointed. Add to that the absence of proper RTX and DLSS, and RTX 3080 is overall a more polished product with better features for the price point.

Associate
£680 for the XTs, £600 for the non-XTs.

I believe XTs were £615 on a major competitor, but I only saw the price on that site for a few minutes before it disappeared, so I might be mis-remembering. People are saying OC were £80 more than others.

AMD had them (still listed in their store though sold out) for £587, for XT. However, we live on a brexit island where all distros will try to scalp as much money from us now as possible. Which was to be expected really and I expect things to only get worse in time. I suspect competitor got little number of cards and as I said, might've been some agreement with AMD to lower prices (little loss with such small numbers). Supposedly they only had 30 or so of each card. OC had more and likely didn't get such offer, hence higher price. I can believe that. Yes, OC adds bigger cut than competitors usually but I've never seen THAT big addon. Hence something else seems to be at play here. Still, not good for customers for sure!

Associate
RRP was available at OcuK competitor for one model (not including delivery cost) and there were plenty of 6800's and 6800 XTs on the AMD store for RRP. You could still get the 6800 at 2:45pm when i last looked yesterday.
Ah OK, fair enough. I'm so annoyed that I didn't even think to check the AMD site. I didn't realise they sold direct :(

And I saw on another forum that they sent out emails to a mailing list a few minutes before 2pm giving links.

Associate
Don't know if this has been posted but Scott Herkelman was asked on Twitter about AMD reference cards. @sherkelman is AMD still making the reference cards of the 6800XT/6800?

His response: Yes, through early 2021.

I guess that is good news, but looks like I will still be fighting it out for an AIB card

Caporegime
Ah OK, fair enough. I'm so annoyed that I didn't even think to check the AMD site. I didn't realise they sold direct :(

And I saw on another forum that they sent out emails to a mailing list a few minutes before 2pm giving links.
I think a lot of people forgot to check the AMD store to be honest, but I've seen a few members post here that they or people they know managed to bag GPUs from the store yesterday.

One things for sure, there will be no gouging if you buy direct. I suspect it's the same for Nvidia too.

Associate
Its significantly weaker at 4k than the 3080, some games around 10% slower so some people are a little disappointed. Add to that the absence of proper RTX and DLSS, and RTX 3080 is overall a more polished product with better features for the price point.
Hmm, you think? Tom's Hardware have the 6800XT at 92.6 FPS in their 9-game-average, compared to 96 for the 3080. That seems pretty good to me.

I guess if it's 10% lower on a particular game you love, that could be disappointing. Personally I never expected anything other than "close to the 3080" and I'm totally fine with that, given how much of a leap the 3080 was over the past generation.

I run a Hackintosh (macOS on normal PC) so I can't use NVidia GPUs. So for me it's just exciting that AMD are finally in the same ballpark as NVidia, after years trailing in their dust.

Associate

It gets worse, I got from them email with direct links to buy both XT and standard version, 20 minutes before sell went live! Just it ended up in my spam folder so I didn't know till much later...

Associate
Do we know how long it will take to get the refunds (and more importantly money hack into accounts) cant really put another £650+ down on an AIB pre order next week unless the refund has been completed :(

Soldato
RRP was available at OcuK competitor for one model (not including delivery cost) and there were plenty of 6800's and 6800 XTs on the AMD store for RRP. You could still get the 6800 at 2:45pm when i last looked yesterday.
jyCPg4P.png
What AMD store? They have a uk store page? I couldn't find it and i looked for quite a while. (you have time while waiting for other pages to load)

Associate

I still haven;t been able to find where they sell anything direct to uk customers.. website just seems to link you to other companies

Associate
Do we know how long it will take to get the refunds (and more importantly money hack into accounts) cant really put another £650+ down on an AIB pre order next week unless the refund has been completed
I had my Paypal refund last night, within a couple of hours of the 'unavailable' email.

I guess debit/credit card refunds might take longer. But my experience suggests that OCUK are processing them quickly, and therefore it will be down to how quickly the banks process it.

Back
Top Bottom