• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 6800 & 6800 XT MBA LAUNCH AT 2PM TODAY - EXTREMELY LIMITED STOCK!

Associate
I think the point is that there is nothing stopping you finding it at MSRP if you can find stock - Your choice appears to be to wait or whatever, it will hit MSRP even here once they have made the money off the early adapters. At least here they are openly telling you that they will bend you over and that they are putting 13-15% on top meaning that the non XT it is a £70 markup so XT prices for the non XT and the XT is something altogether different with about the same stabbed on top again.

You can't argue, they are being entirely transparent with the fact that you are being overcharged.

I'm aware. It's not irritation at not being able to get one, or even irritation at the company itself. My Vega 64 is getting on a bit, but it won't kill me to have it a bit longer. What gets me is that so many people give such behaviour a pass, they don't even question it. To be honest I think it's just irritation at how desperate everyone is to just buy buy buy nowadays.

I disagree about not being able to argue it though. How far would companies go with extracting every last bit of blood from the stone if people didn't want or expect better from them? No one arguing it just leads to things being even worse. I know me moaning about it makes absolutely no difference, they've been behaving this way for a long time now, but it's not right to just entirely ignore it either.

It's a shame, they're not the company they used to be even 8-10 years ago. At least that's my feeling.

Associate
Hi guys, to avoid trapesing through 18 pages... Any evidence of the AIB launch next week bringing healthier stock levels?

Couple reviewers, who've spoken with the partners, are saying it's not great mainly be cause they're getting chips quite late, so to still build and push them through is going to heavily affect availability.

I can't see it being worse than the 18th though, that launch was significantly worse than Nvidia's.

Soldato
Don't fall for the "we care" approach of the company as whole. They care about their bottom line. I'm sure some of the staff care but they, ultimately, do what their superiors tell them to. Anyway, if you look at other forums OcUK are taking a hammering reputation wise. They've never cared to go into detail about some of their less friendly consumer practices in the past, they're only doing it now because even they can't completely ignore the negativity online. I guess a ducks back can only shed so much water.

If they cared about anything other than how much money they can squeeze out of us they'd have charged msrp like elsewhere. You'd think they'd want to improve their image, but no. Don't forget, if they are happy to lie about being the primary partner in the UK, what else will they happily twist.

Thing is though I'm sure ocuk would rather sell 50,000 cards at a lower price than 100 cards at an inflated price.

I imagine GPU launches are a large source of income. Pretty hard to achieve that when you're being drip fed stock and don't have the IT systems in place to handle such a disparity in stock Vs demand (which is not unheard of in e-commerce, I used to work for a smallish online business with a pretty top spec web backend but even there refunds had to processed by hand, you just never had a situation where you had to do 1000's).

Soldato
Hi guys, to avoid trapesing through 18 pages... Any evidence of the AIB launch next week bringing healthier stock levels?

None so far. You only need to look at Ryzen 5xx0 stock levels two weeks after launch to see AMD will most likely fail to deliver again. Maybe Hank Azor at AMD will clarify... oh wait, he's a lying sack of **** so can't be believed.

Think about it. If AMD knew reference stock was poor (a vapour launch) then why would they stick to a schedule that keeps a load of stock held up for a week. Surely any sane rational company would release ASAP and en-masse to show how good they delivered. Instead history will show the "Big Navi" release to be a dud even worse than Ampere. Rumours from the tech tubers such as Jay and NAAF indicate stock levels were even worse than Ampere. So again why would AMD want that utterly negative press if they were sitting on massive piles of unreleased 6800 GPUs?

We suck... nah only kidding here's loads, is not a marketing strategy that will win AMD any marketshare. Again look at Ryzen stock for a true reflection of what's to come from AMD. I went from 968 to 888 in a Ryzen 5900X queue in 2 weeks and most of that was cancellations. Needless to say I cancelled as it looks like sometime next year for decent stock from AMD and Nvidia.

In brief, you may be lucky to get a 6800 AIB next week but don't hold your breath. I will be trying to get one of either a 3080 or a 6800XT but realistically am expecting it to be next year. Anytime before then would be a bonus/miracle.

Last edited:
Associate
None so far. You only need to look at Ryzen 5xx0 stock levels two weeks after launch to see AMD will most likely fail to deliver again. Maybe Hank Azor at AMD will clarify... oh wait, he's a lying sack of **** so can't be believed.

Nevermind Hank- its Frank you need to worry about

Associate
Thing is though I'm sure ocuk would rather sell 50,000 cards at a lower price than 100 cards at an inflated price.

I imagine GPU launches are a large source of income. Pretty hard to achieve that when you're being drip fed stock and don't have the IT systems in place to handle such a disparity in stock Vs demand (which is not unheard of in e-commerce, I used to work for a smallish online business with a pretty top spec web backend but even there refunds had to processed by hand, you just never had a situation where you had to do 1000's).

Absolutely, I'm sure they would as well because it would avoid all this mess, I have most sympathy for the people on the phones. The thing is, a lot of the extra stress and work has been brought on by still accepting pre orders when they have no idea when they'll have the stock to clear those orders out. They're making the problem significantly worse for themselves than it ever needed to be.

Permabanned
Yep, consoles are a platform that enables a service, which is where the real money is made.
Yeah we know about this and have done for some time. I was only asking why neither Sony or Microsoft are making hay when the sunshine’s or any of the retailers. It seems it must be price fixing or whatever. :confused:

Associate
...so what did they expect when offering products offering the performance of the previous generation at half the price, of course the sales were going to be sky high...
I was considering getting a 5700XT for months, to replace my 1060, but never actually pulled the trigger due to the marginal improvement. When the 3070 was revealed it was a no-brainer and I had order confirmed an hour after it was availabel to purchase here - it was such a good deal: price to performance that I took me a second to decide I wanted it.

I'm a transport manager ...
I haven't noticed anything change in my day to day life when shopping in the store, etc, due to shipping times (so huge thanks to you and all your collogues across the UK, but it's definitely showing how slow international is, when I had to wait a full month for a tiny later to arrive from dbrand from the US. Also I agree, Gibbo doesn't have to be on here answering to every post and in a civil manner but it's much appreciated. Especially by those of us that aren't 12 year old stomping on the ground but have a head on their shoulders that is used to assimilate and grasp the situation.

Associate
Musta been one of the lucky ones who got a 6800 around 35 mins after the launch opened up.. I did find it amusing that as soon as all the retailers in the UK were completely out of stock Nvidia UK restocked the 3070 FE and that was in stock for almost an hour.

What I will say is that having got a 6800 series card direct from AMD and now also a 3070 from the NV website, the process and information passed on to the end consumer is a bit better green side.

2 emails from AMD so far

5 for the 3070 FE

Associate
Damn

Bagged a 5800x on launch, was holding off building the system as I was vying for a 6800xt but missed out.
Just built the 5800x/x570 rig up using a Vega card for now, no point having a 5800x sat in its box!

I'm in no rush :)

Now there is someone being a Grown up

Congrats on the system & for making the best of things - bet it purrs like a kitten!

Associate
Musta been one of the lucky ones who got a 6800 around 35 mins after the launch opened up.. I did find it amusing that as soon as all the retailers in the UK were completely out of stock Nvidia UK restocked the 3070 FE and that was in stock for almost an hour.

What I will say is that having got a 6800 series card direct from AMD and now also a 3070 from the NV website, the process and information passed on to the end consumer is a bit better green side.

2 emails from AMD so far

5 for the 3070 FE

Big fan of the channel - will be looking forward to seeing those reviews

Even if you are an East Coaster!

Pet Northerner
Don
I’ve seen pc games selling for more. But yes we know they make money from sales and loses in consoles. Yet despite already making loses we are to assume they are making even more of a loss due to shipping issues, currency, brexit and what not.

It'll actually be interested to see if MS and sony put up the numbers for the cost of the consoles including these variables.

The PS3 gives us an indication of the loss factor based on the original MSRP being close to $600 iirc

Back
Top Bottom