• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Bulldozer Finally!

Associate
hehe, just a little upgrade :p It would seem we're looking at 3.5Ghz at least for the highest speed parts for stock, which means 4Ghz minimum for turbo on all cores, and probably closer to 4.5Ghz with 2 cores or less loaded, thats going to be silly fast.

I'm suggesting maybe higher as I wouldn't be surprised if the rumoured 3.5Ghz release speeds aren't overly conservative estimates.

A lot of the architecture is known, a lot of very educated guesses can be made, Bulldozer vs phenom 2 are firstly, not even remotely related to each other, but secondly clock speeds will be completley unrelated, its on an uber 32nm process, down from 45nm which would bump up speeds anyway, but its a completely different architecture that lends itself to higher speeds.

do you have any idea drunken if this architecture will benefit much from liquid cooling like the i7/phenoms? iv noticed its pretty much a waste on SB with the limited voltage allowed through it for 24/7 usage, my wife just asked if id like a system upgrade to SB, i actually said no due to this reason.

Caporegime
ive been very happy with every intel chip i had to date, i overclocked my t7600 from to 3 ghz in my laptop, overclocked my i7 920 to 3.8, and all the other chips in normal houshold pcs have never gone wrong,

i dont dislike amd at all [will always have an amd gfx card for gaming] in fact seeing as im planning to upgrade towards end of this year with a sata 3/usb 3 motherboard ill have a look at amds offering, but as everyone seems to think , intel will still hold the crown and with doing blu ray transcodes, i think ill end up with intel again

tho i would like to try an amd offering

Soldato
Despite having built Intel rigs in the latter half of the last decade, I've always had a soft spot for AMD. I'm looking to rebuild my old gaming rig about the time bulldozer comes out so I may wait until then.

Caporegime
do you have any idea drunken if this architecture will benefit much from liquid cooling like the i7/phenoms? iv noticed its pretty much a waste on SB with the limited voltage allowed through it for 24/7 usage, my wife just asked if id like a system upgrade to SB, i actually said no due to this reason.

Not a clue to be honest, no one knows till people get their hands on some 32nm chips from AMD and see's what kind of voltage they take.

In general for years on end AMD processes have been, shall we say, voltage tolerate vs Intel's, if that will maintain at 32nm I don't have the slightest clue, maybe, maybe not.

Its a pretty different process for AMD this time around, several key differences to previous ones.

Associate
Looks very interesting to say the least.

Just wondering, if I wanted to switch to Bulldozer/AMD platform all I need to do is buy a AM3 motherboard & AMD processor and swap it with my i5 2500k CPU & P67 motherboard, that should work right?

Soldato
I'd guess £200 for initial 8-core. Whether that's the low or high end clock-wise depends how good Bulldozer actually is (since they need to match Intel's price points).

Soldato
I am genuinly looking forward to this.

I have never owned an AMD chip before..... and the potential to have 8 cores at a resonable price is definetly an attraction...

Hopefully these chips will be competitve against SB.

Soldato

I'll swap my gf for your wife. I had to fight for my SB upgrade!

Also looking forwards to Bulldozer, even though I have my 2500K, just out of interest!

Soldato
I am genuinly looking forward to this.

I have never owned an AMD chip before..... and the potential to have 8 cores at a resonable price is definetly an attraction...

Hopefully these chips will be competitve against SB.

not sure what to expect in single threaded workload, think there are some gains over K10.5 but im not sure if they are upto Sandy Bridge performance, though they should be superior in heavily multi-threaded workloads, much more effective than Hyper Threading, at least thats how I read into it. guess actual competition depends on what AMD have done to increase the IPC on Bulldozer vs. K10.5. :confused: its either they improve IPC of have an architecture geared toward higher clock frequency, but then we all remember Netburst so who knows.

Edit: speaking of Netburst, anyone got any guesses to what sort of clock speeds they could achieve on current 32nm? guessing they would be really highly clocked still!

Last edited:
Associate
the new Bullzoder based CPU will using new AMD 990FX motherboard not support the 890 model so you need to buy new motherboard and CPU - if you using AM3 CPU then it can install into AM3+ motherboard but not the Am3+ CPu into Am3 mobo. I rather wait for next one with new AM4 with DDR4 due in few years time and save some money -- I keep my AM3 (Asus Crosshair IV with 1100T) just now until few years. AM3+ is 942pins as AM3 is 941pins still can put AM3 CPU into Am3+ mobo as backward but still have to buy new mobo as well not just the CPU if you own AM3 mobo that wont support... when it release then buy mobo and CPU as bundle also I read some new that AM3+ wont have USB3.0 support from Southbridge

Last edited:
Associate
I'll swap my gf for your wife. I had to fight for my SB upgrade!

Also looking forwards to Bulldozer, even though I have my 2500K, just out of interest!

hehe, no chance, the wife always tells me to buy the most expensive stuff or il buy twice haha, great way of thinking when it comes to computers :p

tbh if i had the money spare when SB was released i probably would have got the 2500k, but im an avid overclocker and if i cant shove 1.6 volts through a chip without it exploding (joke) i kinda lose interest. real shame as SB looks to have awesome performance, just too many restrictions on voltages etc etc

Back
Top Bottom