• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD confirms Ryzen 7 5800X3D launches this spring, Zen4 Raphael in 2H 2022

Soldato
The price/performance will make this a dud most likely, might be decent at games but every other task already outclassed by something like a 12700k. And AM5 just around the corner.

Seeing the game performance will be interesting but I'm not expecting anything great.

Associate
The price/performance will make this a dud most likely, might be decent at games but every other task already outclassed by something like a 12700k. And AM5 just around the corner.

Seeing the game performance will be interesting but I'm not expecting anything great.
Interesting to know, you have inside knowledge i take it to know the price? Could you share please?

Soldato
Interesting to know, you have inside knowledge i take it to know the price? Could you share please?
AMD is a premium company, this is their premium gaming product and if the GPU market has taught them anything over the last year is that there are plenty of numpties who will pay well over the odds for gaming focused products especially if supply is tight.

Suspended
Soldato
Chicken / egg

If AMD sets the price high enough, the won't sell many. One way to make a part "low volume" is to over-price it.
I agree, but I think it's something to do with TSMC's new process technology that is being used for stacking the cache that hasn't been ramped up fully yet. Also, most of the good chips are going to Milan-X for a lot more profit and market share where it really counts.

Still I hope for the best and that the rumours are wrong because an 8 core chip is a difficult proposition at a high price unless it has truly revolutionary gaming performance.

Associate
It's probably going to be a proof-of-concept dry run for Zen 4. So limited run, and fairly expensive. Which isn't too much of an issue. Those already on 5xxx CPUs can simply upgrade to Zen 4, and anyone else who want's to squeeze some more time out of Zen 3 (from 3xxx or below) can grab a cheap 5800X or 5900X.

Associate
I don't, just taking a guess based on what happened with Zen 3 and taking their time to lower prices to be competitive.
Thing is iwhen Zen 3 was released it was the premium performing part by quite some margin so they did not need to worry about price, even if teh 5800X3D takes the performance crown it would not be by much so they do not have teh same leverage to price their parts so high

Soldato
AMD just cut price of all zen 3 CPUs it seems

5950x got biggest cut, amd clearing stock for zen 4

intel also doing price cuts though

Back
Top Bottom