• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD confirms Ryzen 7 5800X3D launches this spring, Zen4 Raphael in 2H 2022

Soldato
AMD have kept their promise for AM4 - If the 5800X 3D matches the IPC of the intel chips, bravo AMD.

on back of that - AMD haven't released their AM5 Kit, let's not even talk about ThreadRipper DDR5.... People have short memories, Will Sting some if the platform you've just left for a 12600k, ends up being matched...

Associate
I'm interested to see how this CPU pans out when released. Wonder if it would be worth the upgrade from a Ryzen 3600X as a last hurrah to socket AM4

Soldato
From a 6-core zen2 to an 8 core zen3 +Vcache, I think would be a nice upgrade depending on the pricing.

Someone who bought the "no compromise" 5950X (as AMD called it) would have to, well, compromise to switch to the 5800x3d.

Soldato
Someone who bought the "no compromise" 5950X (as AMD called it) would have to, well, compromise to switch to the 5800x3d.

Something that was said in the past isn't necessarily true in the future - shock horror - to literally no one.

I want a refund on my pinnacle of technology Intel Pentium III 1GHz, as they obviously lied. :cry:

Soldato
Something that was said in the past isn't necessarily true in the future - shock horror - to literally no one.

I want a refund on my pinnacle of technology Intel Pentium III 1GHz, as they obviously lied. :cry:

Something said in the past can illustrate a change in the future.

AMD has gone from bragging about their "No compromise" CPU's to promising a one-trick chip that, even if it meets AMD's slides, won't do that one trick much better than the competition's offering (if at all)

And if AMD gets too greedy with their pricing, it will go up against a 12900KS where it could lose in gaming and almost certainly will get wrecked in productivity.

Associate
I'm interested to see how this CPU pans out when released. Wonder if it would be worth the upgrade from a Ryzen 3600X as a last hurrah to socket AM4
Due to the high cost of manufacturing and it being a "halo" product it's rumoured to be expensive and even extremely expensive. It might be better to go for one of the other 5000 series processors. Also there will be deals on the 5000 series in the leadup to the release of Zen4.

Associate
Due to the high cost of manufacturing and it being a "halo" product it's rumoured to be expensive and even extremely expensive. It might be better to go for one of the other 5000 series processors. Also there will be deals on the 5000 series in the leadup to the release of Zen4.

This is very true, may get a decent deal on a 'standard' 5800X or something. Doubt I'd need more than 8 cores for now as I only game on my PC (only BF2042 as it happens). Depends if the possibly marginal performance gain is worth the temps and noise increase.

Associate
If you're on AM4 it gives you a choice. Upgrade your whole platform - which is expensive! Or upgrade to a 5x00 or a 5800x3D. It's a choice.

Possibly not a good choice, but at least there are options.

Associate
If you're on AM4 it gives you a choice. Upgrade your whole platform - which is expensive! Or upgrade to a 5x00 or a 5800x3D. It's a choice.

Buying whole new platform is the most expensive option, especially if you have solid board, and Intel boards cost more for similar features. I have VIII hero so for me it is best option to wait Zen 4 if i want new platform and performance increase that is worth, and with AM5 i will have support for at least 2 next gen cpu.

Soldato

If your already on AM4 already have a 5000 series CPU then upgrading isn't worth it and probably won't be so till atleast zen 5 rolls around and for those on 1/2/3000 series then an upgrade to the vanilla 5800X would make more sense unless the 5800X3D by some miracle costs less than £400.

Soldato
And someone already tested Milan-x version 3dcache, minimal latency increase with that massive amount of cache so i wouldn't be surprised if Zen3d take over the gaming crown.

No, what the Milan tests showed was that performance was worse when the extra cache was unused but performance was better when all the cache was used - so the extra latency does affect performance, apps/games that don't need lots of cache can run worse, games/apps that need lots of cache run better

This is why AMD is and will continue to offer v cache and non v cache CPUs separately because v cache is not a simply across the board performance boost it can actually reduce performance

Associate
No, what the Milan tests showed was that performance was worse when the extra cache was unused but performance was better when all the cache was used - so the extra latency does affect performance, apps/games that don't need lots of cache can run worse, games/apps that need lots of cache run better

This is why AMD is and will continue to offer v cache and non v cache CPUs separately because v cache is not a simply across the board performance boost it can actually reduce performance
Lower performance is because of lower clocks, not latency. AMD did some design changes, and combined with b2 stepping it could negate that. And it was said that lower clocks are to fit into TDP limit, but you can overclock it.

Soldato
Lower performance is because of lower clocks, not latency. AMD did some design changes, and combined with b2 stepping it could negate that. And it was said that lower clocks are to fit into TDP limit, but you can overclock it.
Depends on temps though as the vanilla 5800X already runs hot unless you drop the TDP a bit.

Soldato
The new 5800x B2's are much easier to cool, I've just started seeing them in system builds, all the production dates were last couple of weeks of 21 or first in 22.

Power usage to hit the same clocks seems to be lower, but I've not had the opportunity to push one yet. Hopefully will be less busy in March and get more time to tinker. :)

Associate
The new 5800x B2's are much easier to cool, I've just started seeing them in system builds, all the production dates were last couple of weeks of 21 or first in 22.

Power usage to hit the same clocks seems to be lower, but I've not had the opportunity to push one yet. Hopefully will be less busy in March and get more time to tinker. :)
Yeah, that's why i think b2 + design changes could negate added heat and decreased OC potentional of 3d cache, or at least improve it by good margin.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom