• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD confirms Ryzen 7 5800X3D launches this spring, Zen4 Raphael in 2H 2022

Soldato
My pc is used primarily for gaming but at the time of purchase I thought I'd use the pc for more than that. It has turned out to be a waste which is why I'm strongly considering selling up.

The 5800X3D seems ideal on paper.
In realistic gaming scenarios you probably won't notice a difference between the 5950X and 5800X3D outside of a few titles at 1080p. Having the 5950X gives you the option that if you do ever need to use for stuff other than gaming then you will have the extra umph.

Associate
In realistic gaming scenarios you probably won't notice a difference between the 5950X and 5800X3D outside of a few titles at 1080p. Having the 5950X gives you the option that if you do ever need to use for stuff other than gaming then you will have the extra umph.
Absolutely, that was the thought process to justify keeping the 5950x.

Also as games use more cores the 5950x is future
Proof to a degree.

Caporegime
My pc is used primarily for gaming but at the time of purchase I thought I'd use the pc for more than that. It has turned out to be a waste which is why I'm strongly considering selling up.

The 5800X3D seems ideal on paper.
Wait and see how it performs in the games you are interested in and then make a choice. :)

Associate

What is a realistic gaming scenario?

My gaming scenarios are Stellaris where late game the issue is slow tic rate making a segment of the game drag even more than normal or Civ 6 GS where again, late game turn time with lots of AI makes it drag or Old World with similar turn time issues or Path of Exile where all my dips below 60fps are down to my CPU choking.

So just because a CPU won't make much difference for AAA 4K gaming does not mean it won't impact other games that never get tested.

Soldato
What is a realistic gaming scenario?

My gaming scenarios are Stellaris where late game the issue is slow tic rate making a segment of the game drag even more than normal or Civ 6 GS where again, late game turn time with lots of AI makes it drag or Old World with similar turn time issues or Path of Exile where all my dips below 60fps are down to my CPU choking.

So just because a CPU won't make much difference for AAA 4K gaming does not mean it won't impact other games that never get tested.
I think your 2200G with 4 Zen 1 cores without SMT and 4mb of L3 cache has never been good for gaming whereas @ChocAndGray is already rocking a 5950X. Night and day difference there.

Associate
I'll be interest to see its performance in 'CPU heavy' games such as MSFS & ARMA 3. Even at high resolutions MSFS can become CPU bound
around airports, and single thread performance is a factor with Arma 3. These are pretty niche cases though.

Soldato
For £99 it has been a pretty good chip to be fair to it but yes. There is no comparison between a 5950X and my CPU.
IMO the 5700X looks to be the chip to get from the next slew of releases and its what I've just recommended my brother go for over 5800X3D.

Associate
IMO the 5700X looks to be the chip to get from the next slew of releases and its what I've just recommended my brother go for over 5800X3D.

I think the 5800X3D will be ~15-20% faster than the 5700X which is a generational step forward. As I won't be upgrading this platform for 4/5 more years going 5800X3D will likely mean I can put off an upgrade for 1 extra year vs the 5700X.

Soldato
I think the 5800X3D will be ~15-20% faster than the 5700X which is a generational step forward. As I won't be upgrading this platform for 4/5 more years going 5800X3D will likely mean I can put off an upgrade for 1 extra year vs the 5700X.
The 5700X should easily overclock to 5800X levels while costing £280 at the MSRP while the 5800X3D will cost 50% more yet only provide 15% extra gaming performance according to AMD but remember that 15% is conditional on using a 3090 or 6900XT at 1080p res. Notch the res to 1440p or 4K or if your using a lower spec'd card and it essentially becomes equal.

Soldato
Provided the 5800X3D works as intended and delivers what's promised it will effectively be 2 generations ahead of whatever is in the consoles (about 40% faster) so if your a gamer I can't see you needing to upgrade for a long, long time.

Associate
The 5700X should easily overclock to 5800X levels while costing £280 at the MSRP while the 5800X3D will cost 50% more yet only provide 15% extra gaming performance according to AMD but remember that 15% is conditional on using a 3090 or 6900XT at 1080p res. Notch the res to 1440p or 4K or if your using a lower spec'd card and it essentially becomes equal.

At 4K I will notice a huge difference in turn time in Civ 6. Right now turn times for large maps late game can be around 60s. The 5800X3D is probably going to drop that in half if not more. At 4K in Stellaris I will notice that that 'fastest' simulation speed end game has not dropped below start of game 'normal' speed because the simulation has overwhelmed the CPU. Same in Old World with turn times too. Same will apply in town with Path of Exile where I will notice the lack of stutters due to my CPU being overwhelmed despite my GPU sitting at 8ms frame times.

Your statement is only true for AAA games. It is not true for a huge plethora of other games where the CPU matters more. Is there any point in going above 60FPS in Civ 6? No not really and even 30fps is fine for civ 6 or Old World because they are turn based. Is there any reason to go above 60fps in Stellaris, also no because it is a menu driven grand strategy game where you might zoom into a space battle to watch lasers go pew pew for the fun of it.

You also forget that over a 5 year span I am likely to upgrade the GPU and as soon as this year or early next it is entirely possible that whatever marketing name AMD gives Navi 33 will match 6900XT performance in 1080p and by RDNA 4 / Hopper that could be your £250-300 GPU.

It is also unlikely my gaming habits will change and the next round of Grand Strategy games or 4X games are very likely to be better threaded and CPU performance requirements will only increase. As long as Civ 7 keeps the strategy map even my current APU would be enough to run it at a comfortable frame rate, turn times will be the issue.

Another factor is that even though I have a 4k screen I play a lot of games in 1080p windowed mode because it is a 40" 4k screen so a 1080p window functionally equivalent to a 20" 1080p screen and I can shove other stuff on the rest of the screen like how to guides or path of building builds or even a damn movie if I want.

So I will go for the 5800X3D. I could have gone ADL but lack of testing in the games I play and means I don't know if they are cache or architecture bound so I don't know if they would be better than Zen 3 or not. The one game that does get tested is Civ 6 turn time and from what I can tell the 5800X matches the 12900K for turn time give or take. In that game specifically it seems it likes 8c/16t but it does not like the multi CCD chips as much so it seems that 5800X fastest, 5950 2nd, 5900 3rd and 5600 4th from the Zen 3 stack. Can't find any 5700G results (will check Gamers Nexus in a minute because I am curious) to see if the reduction of cache impacts that parts performance.

EDIT: I found 1 test for Civ 6 turn time for the 5700G and it was actually faster than the 5800X. That was OG Civ 6 though with 6s turn times not gathering storm where a good turn time is in the 25-30s range for 12900K/5800X. Unfortunately GN didn't test that game in their 5700G review so no idea how it performs with Gathering Storm.

Wish CPU reviews actually tested CPU bound games rather than this AAA @4k nonsense because it is a right PITA to plan a build for these games with a lack of data.

Last edited:
Soldato
At 4K I will notice a huge difference in turn time in Civ 6. Right now turn times for large maps late game can be around 60s. The 5800X3D is probably going to drop that in half if not more. At 4K in Stellaris I will notice that that 'fastest' simulation speed end game has not dropped below start of game 'normal' speed because the simulation has overwhelmed the CPU. Same in Old World with turn times too. Same will apply in town with Path of Exile where I will notice the lack of stutters due to my CPU being overwhelmed despite my GPU sitting at 8ms frame times.

Your statement is only true for AAA games. It is not true for a huge plethora of other games where the CPU matters more. Is there any point in going above 60FPS in Civ 6? No not really and even 30fps is fine for civ 6 or Old World because they are turn based. Is there any reason to go above 60fps in Stellaris, also no because it is a menu driven grand strategy game where you might zoom into a space battle to watch lasers go pew pew for the fun of it.

You also forget that over a 5 year span I am likely to upgrade the GPU and as soon as this year or early next it is entirely possible that whatever marketing name AMD gives Navi 33 will match 6900XT performance in 1080p and by RDNA 4 / Hopper that could be your £250-300 GPU.

It is also unlikely my gaming habits will change and the next round of Grand Strategy games or 4X games are very likely to be better threaded and CPU performance requirements will only increase. As long as Civ 7 keeps the strategy map even my current APU would be enough to run it at a comfortable frame rate, turn times will be the issue.

Another factor is that even though I have a 4k screen I play a lot of games in 1080p windowed mode because it is a 40" 4k screen so a 1080p window functionally equivalent to a 20" 1080p screen and I can shove other stuff on the rest of the screen like how to guides or path of building builds or even a damn movie if I want.

So I will go for the 5800X3D. I could have gone ADL but lack of testing in the games I play and means I don't know if they are cache or architecture bound so I don't know if they would be better than Zen 3 or not. The one game that does get tested is Civ 6 turn time and from what I can tell the 5800X matches the 12900K for turn time give or take. In that game specifically it seems it likes 8c/16t but it does not like the multi CCD chips as much so it seems that 5800X fastest, 5950 2nd, 5900 3rd and 5600 4th from the Zen 3 stack. Can't find any 5700G results (will check Gamers Nexus in a minute because I am curious) to see if the reduction of cache impacts that parts performance.

EDIT: I found 1 test for Civ 6 turn time for the 5700G and it was actually faster than the 5800X. That was OG Civ 6 though with 6s turn times not gathering storm where a good turn time is in the 25-30s range for 12900K/5800X. Unfortunately GN didn't test that game in their 5700G review so no idea how it performs with Gathering Storm.

Wish CPU reviews actually tested CPU bound games rather than this AAA @4k nonsense because it is a right PITA to plan a build for these games with a lack of data.
I'm not saying you won't benefit, I'm saying that the difference between the 5700X and 5800X3D for turn times will likely be negligible since turn times generally benefit from the amount of cores / clock speed and not cache so a £400 5900X is probably the best option if you want to spend more.

Associate
I'm not saying you won't benefit, I'm saying that the difference between the 5700X and 5800X3D for turn times will likely be negligible since turn times generally benefit from the amount of cores / clock speed and not cache so a £400 5900X is probably the best option if you want to spend more.

I am interested in more than just civ 6 numbers, Civ 6 just happens to be a game that does get AI benchmarked. Other stuff like Stellaris / CK3 etc tic rates don't. Neither do newer 4X games like Old World / Humankind so picking a part for these kinds of titles is a shot in the dark.

Based on AMDs numbers the 5800X3D was quite a bit faster than the 12900K in FFXIV which is an MMO so gobs of cache might help with Path of Exile when in towns / lots of mobs are on screen. Watch dogs Legion also showed a 40% uplift vs the 5900X which is also a game that has a lot of AI and stuff running so might be an indication of how late game Stellaris etc might run. All guessword though because there is a lack of testing in these kinds of titles.

If a few titles see gains like Legion then I can see the 5800X3D being faster in specific titles than Zen 4.

Soldato
I'm looking for a last upgrade on my X570. I'm guessing that the 5800X3D will be the last/best one if gaming is the most taxing workload you have?

Back
Top Bottom