• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD confirms Ryzen 7 5800X3D launches this spring, Zen4 Raphael in 2H 2022

Associate
I don't see a problem if they rushed, we have a choice, i don't have to buy Zen3d. By releasing Zen3d to consumer they will have better feedback so it will be more ready for Zen 4 which should be better optimised for it.

Soldato
I don't see a problem if they rushed, we have a choice, i don't have to buy Zen3d. By releasing Zen3d to consumer they will have better feedback so it will be more ready for Zen 4 which should be better optimised for it.
I doubt we'll see it used on Zen4 as it's clearly not yet compatible with higher clocking parts. Maybe it will be ready for Zen 5 or perhaps AMD will have moved onto something else by then.

Soldato
I don't think Its rushed or anything it seems its a server feature but they needed to do something with bins that don't make the grade.

Show the 5900X3D but then when it comes to actual mass production they don't want to waste 2 chiplets with vcache so just release 5800X3D and market to gamers.

Has some trade offs but if actually peforms as they say it should still take some heat off 12900K at stock. With no overclocking and reduced clocks then will certainly be worse in some games if they already fit in the cache.

Fully expect the 12900KS will beat it in nearly everything though, but niche vs niche products.

Associate
I don't think Its rushed or anything it seems its a server feature but they needed to do something with bins that don't make the grade.

Show the 5900X3D but then when it comes to actual mass production they don't want to waste 2 chiplets with vcache so just release 5800X3D and market to gamers.

Has some trade offs but if actually peforms as they say it should still take some heat off 12900K at stock. With no overclocking and reduced clocks then will certainly be worse in some games if they already fit in the cache.

Fully expect the 12900KS will beat it in nearly everything though, but niche vs niche products.
In theory maybe, but i doubt they would release higher grade product that have lower performance, and even if your theory is true i belive in 99% games 3d will be better, otherwise no point releasing it because Zen 3 with right price is very competitive so no need to release anything better till Zen 4, and 3d would cause them more trouble than profit if your theory is correct.

Associate
It's been clear to me that showcasing a working product in June 21 that's morphed into a lower spec product releasing 10 months later shows that there have been development issues with it.

You're saying it's okay for customers of a $450 CPU to be Beta testers:confused:

Associate
i belive in 99% games 3d will be better, otherwise no point releasing it .
Real question - are the games it performs well in games that previously Intel was winning in. Increased performance in games that they already dominated in is useless.

Anyone got any insight?

Associate
Real question - are the games it performs well in games that previously Intel was winning in. Increased performance in games that they already dominated in is useless.

Anyone got any insight?
Far cry is game that favors ADL and Intel in general, 3d version beat ADL in that game according to their benchmark. I read couple of ADL reviews and they shines in far cry and looks much better versus Zen 3 than in other games, so if 3d version beat it then it is very impressive gain.

Associate
Far cry is game that favors ADL and Intel in general, 3d version beat ADL in that game according to their benchmark. I read couple of ADL reviews and they shines in far cry and looks much better versus Zen 3 than in other games, so if 3d version beat it then it is very impressive gain.
So we have reason to believe it might be specifically good at games that previously favoured intel?

Soldato
The weakness of Zen for gaming is latency which is why it has such large L3 to compensate for it. You can clearly see this when comparing overclocked memory latencies around 50ns for Zen 3 to around 35ns for Intel 10th gen.

Any game that strongly benefits from memory overclocking as an outlier will likely show large benefit, what is interesting to me is the potential gains to minimum frame rate that vcache will bring.

Older esports games such as CS:GO seem to show performance regression as the game fits in the Zen3 cache already and now the performance is slightly lower as lower boost clock.

Mainstream reviewers barely test things properly as it is, especially not in depth like testing £500 DDR5 vs crap bin DDR4 kits different story when you run 4000C14 DDR4 i.e Price parity. So will need to wait until some of the smaller channels/overclockers/forums get them for in depth testing.

Caporegime
The weakness of Zen for gaming is latency which is why it has such large L3 to compensate for it. You can clearly see this when comparing overclocked memory latencies around 50ns for Zen 3 to around 35ns for Intel 10th gen.

Any game that strongly benefits from memory overclocking as an outlier will likely show large benefit, what is interesting to me is the potential gains to minimum frame rate that vcache will bring.

Older esports games such as CS:GO seem to show performance regression as the game fits in the Zen3 cache already and now the performance is slightly lower as lower boost clock.

Mainstream reviewers barely test things properly as it is, especially not in depth like testing £500 DDR5 vs crap bin DDR4 kits different story when you run 4000C14 DDR4 i.e Price parity. So will need to wait until some of the smaller channels/overclockers/forums get them for in depth testing.

Zen 3 has a much lower intercore latency than 10'th gen, that also matters for games, most reviewers only benchmark CPU's at the GPU's limitations, what you end up with is margin of error levels of performance differences, modern CPU's are all capable of running a 3090 or a 6900XT at 1080P without a bottleneck, when you do a more scenetific benchmark, to get to the bottom of which CPU is actually faster Zen 3 quite often pulls out an impressive lead.

Intercore Latency.

Clock for clock Zen 2 is actually similar to 10'th gen in games, its only the higher clocks that push 10'th gen ahead, if you look at the intercore latency its very similar to 10'th gen.

GSVcwoc.png

7bjMXbF.png

zpIwVl8.png

o8x1OjC.png

jrZy5w5.png

nDJUCm8.png

Caporegime
There is more than one thing that matters for gaming.

Its memory latency, Its intercore latency, Its memory speed, its IPC, its clock speeds, its the size of the L3 cache...

Zen 2 has higher memory latency than Zen 3, its very much higher than 10'th gen, and yet clock for clock Zen 2 and 10'th gen are quite similar, they have a similar IPC, a similar Intercore latency, but a higher memory latency and overall that does give 10'th gen a small edge, but its small because memory latency is only one of many aspects.

Zen 3 is a much better architecture for games, much higher IPC, much better intercore latency, a large L3 and similar clocks, and that shows overall.

Last edited:
Soldato

Warzone minimums seem to benefit greatly from memory overclocking so it will be interesting to see how they fare with the Zen3D chip compared the existing Zen3 and ADL chips :)

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom