• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD demonstrates Ryzen 9 5900X prototype with 3D V-Cache stack chiplet design

Caporegime
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16535/intel-core-i7-11700k-review-blasting-off-with-rocket-lake/7
IPC improvement in SPEC measured at 18.5% Int, 22.5% FP
and thats without AVX512

Intel is not always talking out of their ass.
In games AMD is ahead thanks to cache size/speed advantage. So with Zen3+evenbiggercache the advantage should be safe.

They beat thier own older CPU in one old synthetic FP benchmark, i guess for as long as they can do that they can claim an IPC increase, meanwhile AMD keep pushing forward with actual performance gains.
In any case are we talking about that or gaming here? look at the low resolution gaming results in your Anand link, in the majority of those Zen 3 is 20 to 30% ahead of Rocket Lake, and Comet Lake given there is 0 performance difference between them, low resolution benchmarks is the only way to get the true performance comparison, if you add 20% performance to a CPU the performance gain in a GPU bound scenario will be 0.

It used to be that Intel was the choice for eSports gamers, because eSports are a very light load on the GPU so the CPU does more of the work and with that faster CPU's shine through.

Well some of this is pretty embarrassing for Intel, Intel are lucky GPU's have not yet grown to such performance in AAA games that the differences in CPU performance really matters, because this looks at least as bad as Bulldozer.

Soldato
Darn. Really need to get myself a 5xxx series CPU and swap out my daughters 1600 for my 3600.

V-Cache is intriguing me for sure. Definitely a nice little uptick outside of usual IPC increases.

Soldato
Amd only have themselves to blame seeing as how you forget that gloflo is amds fab assets split off to protect the some assets since they were nearly bankrupt.
So GloFo's inability to innovate and compete in the foundry industry for 10 years after they became an independent entity is AMD's fault? Yeah OK, looking forward to your next line of AMD-bashing whinge.

Caporegime
They could use this on GPU's, make a smaller GPU die with less IF cache then stack more on top for the high end version.

All sorts they could do, the could stack a GPU on top of the CPU and some VRam on top of that and make a really good APU.

The problem tho is removing all that stacked up heat, its getting there tho, AMD are driving down the power consumption and that's critical for pancake chips.

Soldato
All sorts they could do, the could stack a GPU on top of the CPU and some VRam on top of that and make a really good APU.

The problem tho is removing all that stacked up heat, its getting there tho, AMD are driving down the power consumption and that's critical for pancake chips.
Cache makes less heat so for now that's what they use it for and stack it on top of other cache. The IF cache on the GPU is a big chunk of the die size so if they reduce it by 50% the die would be a good bit smaller. They could then stack some more on top.

Soldato
It's worth noting that the prototype was stacked in a sensible way. The new cache was placed over the 32MB L3 area, so it's sat on a part of the chiplet that doesn't generate much heat anyway. Then there's a thermally-conductive space filler that covers the CPU core area of the chiplets. So there's thought gone into the thermals here, it's not like a slab of SRAM is whacked on top of the entire chiplet soaking up the CPU cores' heat.

Soldato

Its funny you should mention driving down consumption considering zen 4 leaks say the Ryzen tdp will be moved up to 170w max compared to 105w now - that might be because the zen 4 6950x may be 24 cores instead of 16 but we don't yet know why the tdp is increasing to 170w on a node shrink. If I had to guess I'd say it's because the 6950x will be 24 cores and as per other leaks AMD is targeting 5ghz all core clocks or as close as it can get to that

Soldato
Its funny you should mention driving down consumption considering zen 4 leaks say the Ryzen tdp will be moved up to 170w max compared to 105w now - that might be because the zen 4 6950x may be 24 cores instead of 16 but we don't yet know why the tdp is increasing to 170w on a node shrink. If I had to guess I'd say it's because the 6950x will be 24 cores and as per other leaks AMD is targeting 5ghz all core clocks or as close as it can get to that

24 cores would be interesting. Just a top end thing or will all the core counts go up?

Associate
known power hog
Zen cpus are quite intelligent about temperature/power, nothing as crude and stone age as AVX offset intel cpus have.
If a task uses AVX and so uses more power per clock, clocks will dynamically shift to not exceed the power limit. So technically there is no need to increase TDP.
But increased TDP will give them some room to coax more performance out.

Soldato
Its funny you should mention driving down consumption considering zen 4 leaks say the Ryzen tdp will be moved up to 170w max compared to 105w now
No, the AM5 package is capable of delivering 170W. That doesn't mean CPUs will actually make use of it. All this means is AMD are anticipating another long life of the socket and this time building in some proper expansion room.

Associate
Another possibility is that with Zen4 and AM5 they are setting out the limits they would like to have over AM5's lifetime.
When AM4 was spec'ed, AMD were almost bankrupt and only had a few Excavator parts to show, so they were in no position to design a platform OEMs would be reluctant to actually build for.
Now things are totally different.
That render of the Zen 4 IHS this week
17yRH3P.png
At first looks rather strange, but the z height might make sense now that 3D stacking surprise is out of the bag.
There is additional cost for cheaper parts as AMD will have to fill the gap with something, but for stacking higher-end parts it makes sense.

Soldato
Damn I was just eyeing up a 5900X as an upgrade for my 3700X to get me to 144FPS with my 6800XT on my x470 Prime Pro, as a final upgrade for an old board, but if this is out this year maybe I'll hang on for it.

Similar feeling here now. If I am able to swap out my 3700x for something which is anywhere between 25%-50% faster depending on the task then that should keep me happy for a few more years. I can only hope to keep this as long as my 3570k (7 years!)

Soldato
I'm getting poorer and poorer as the years go by :p kids are eating up all my money if they aren't then the woman is :D anyways, as much as I want to jump on the AM5 wagon once it gets here I think a better strategy for me will be to pick up a solid Zen3 CPU which should be someone affordable by that time. Maybe even an XT version, or whatever they are going to be called, if AMD ever brings out a refresh of Zen3 with the added SRAM on it.

Back
Top Bottom