• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD GPU sales tanking

Soldato
The A770 is so good for it, I'm thinking about buying another. Now more than ever, I feel the companies will be skimping or overcharging for vram. Got to buy the good deals where you can.

Soldato

Q1 2024 saw AMD GPU shipments tanked 13.6%

AMD MI300X sales are poor

AMD decided to reduced HBM orders

AMD to delay MI350X refresh launch to 2026

Associate

I think there is many holes in that puff piece.

Associate
Mean you missed this bit out

The overall decline for PC GPU shipments versus the previous quarter is reported at -9.9%. If we dive into the performance of each vendor, then we can note that NVIDIA declined by -7.7%, Intel declined by -9.6% and AMD saw the biggest decline of -13.6% in the graphics segment.

Doesn't matter how its split in my eyes, everything is in decline.

Suspended

JPR include iGPU's as PC GPU's making that slide complete nonsense.

Associate
Its not better, RT is RT is RT but like @ICDP said RTX is proprietary, its black box .dll's, they don't know what they are looking at and i don't trust those .dll's to be optimized for AMD.

Never thought of it like that. Not saying there's anything shady, but it would make sense imo. Another Crysis underwater moment? Was it Crysis?

Suspended
Never thought of it like that. Not saying there's anything shady, but it would make sense imo. Another Crysis underwater moment? Was it Crysis?

It was Crysis 2 but the water thing is a misunderstanding, tessellated water under the land is normal on a map that has an ocean given that its based on a flat plane. its not going to make any difference to performance anyway given a that a 'wavy plane' ocean has very low tessellation properties.

The bollards in Crysis 2 are the real thing about this theory, normally an asset like that would have no more that a couple of hundred vertices, these things had serval million each, you would only get to that deliberately.

Last edited:
Suspended
The witchers hair, 64X tessellation per pixel, you can't see anything beyond a 3D square in a single pixel, so 4X, anything over that is 100% not visible and 100% wasted GPU resources.

The thing about all of this is it absolutely tanks performance on NVidia GPU's, but more so on AMD, or used to.... these day's AMD GPU's are tessellation monsters.

Its just bigger bar better marketing, at literally any cost, even to your own user base.

Last edited:
Associate
It was Crysis 2 but the water thing is a misunderstanding, tessellated water under the land is normal on a map that has an ocean given that its based on a flat plane. its not going to make any difference to performance anyway given a that a 'wavy plane' ocean has very low tessellation properties.

The bollards in Crysis 2 are the real thing about this theory, normally an asset like that would have no more that a couple of hundred vertices, these things had serval million each, you would only get to that deliberately.
Interesting. I always read that it was the water underneath the map that soaked up unnecessary cycles on AMD cards because Nvidia had better tessellation at the time. *

*No sorry it was excessive physx calculations that Nvidia forced so AMD looked bad.
I was there 3000 years ago.

Last edited:
Soldato
The witchers hair, 64X tessellation per pixel, you can't see anything beyond a 3D square in a single pixel, so 4X, anything over that is 100% not visible and 100% wasted GPU resources.

The thing about all of this is it absolutely tanks performance on NVidia GPU's, but more so on AMD, or used to.... these day's AMD GPU's are tessellation monsters.

Its just bigger bar better marketing, at literally any cost, even to your own user base.
Yeah I remember that. My GTX 780 wasn't happy when the Witcher 3 came out. On top of that there were also a "bug" in the PhysX implementation that cause horrible GPU accelerated performance on cloth simulation with kepler based GPUs. However, I figured a way around that by forcing the CPU to be default in the nvidia control panel or by deleting a specific dll from the game directory. Fun times.

Last edited:
Soldato

Couple months ago AMD was claiming huge demand for MI300x and they were confident of stealing market share from Nvidia

Instead they continue losing market share

Soldato
"The recent report from Baird regarding Instinct MI300X demand is inaccurate. The analyst has falsely attributed statements to Samsung that were actually from unnamed third party suppliers. Our engagements with Samsung and our other HBM suppliers are progressing as planned. We continue making strong progress ramping our MI300X products and remain on track to deliver more than $4 billion of data center GPU revenue in 2024."
AMD Spokesperson to Wccftech

Associate
It's like the weekly world news of tech sites.
I don't know if you were there when it was completely out of control in the comments. It was extremely politically charged,and extremely racist. Some of it was really funny,but there was one guy on there I forget his name, that guy was a lunatic lol.

Caporegime
I don't know if you were there when it was completely out of control in the comments. It was extremely politically charged,and extremely racist. Some of it was really funny,but there was one guy on there I forget his name, that guy was a lunatic lol.

Wouldn't surprise me, only time I see that site these days is the odd Facebook post that appears, and the comments are generally filled with the usual dribblers.

Suspended
It is interesting to me that while Computex is not always the launch window for GPU's they have always at least had a preview there of some sort.

This year AMD said nothing at all about gaming GPU's, not a single word, Intel talk about Battlemage iGPU's, a lot, even launching some... but nothing, nothing at all about Discrete Desktop GPU's.

Back
Top Bottom