• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD GPU sales tanking

Caporegime
i'm not saying they won't, but is it our fault if they keep scoring own goals after own goals?

Its an interesting thought process, i think far too few people want to buy them, i think as a whole we just want Nvidia, the only perceived value AMD have is to kerb Nvidia, but that doesn't even work, not really, because Nvidia know their market, they know you, AMD are tokenism.

When you're asking whose fault that is you have to ask how did we get here?, Well it didn't happen over night, its happened over a couple of decades, and some fault lays on AMD themselves with this, but ultimately for us, as a whole AMD have been a token chain on Nvidia for those couple of decades.

Last edited:
Soldato
Exactly. AMD seen what crap Nvidia took for the terrible 40x0 pricing and the 4080 12GB debacle and instead of learning from Nvidia’s mistake, they did the exact same thing.

£899 for the 7900 XTX and £699 for the 7900 XT and they would have been well received after Nvidia’s swing and a miss. Instead AMD got laughed at. These were always achievable prices for AMD. They had an open goal and not only did they not score, they failed to even hit the ball.

On top of that failure, they decided the 7900 GRE would be released in China only. Release that for £550 on launch day and it would have flown off the shelves. Not only that none of those prices would be seen as “budget” on initial release, just realistic.

Not AMD because they just don’t know how to read the goddamned room. Utterly pathetic.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Its an interesting thought process, i also think far too few people want to buy them, i think as a whole we just want Nvidia, the only perceived value AMD have is to kerb Nvidia, but that doesn't even work, not really, because Nvidia know their market, they know you, AMD are tokenism.
When you're asking whose fault that is you have to ask how did we get here?, Well it didn't happen over night, its happened over a couple of decades, and some fault lays on AMD themselves with this, but ultimately for us, as a whole AMD have been a token chain on Nvidia for those couple of decades.

so when amd had the chance to gain marketshare and mindshare, and missed an open goal...it's still our fault somehow?
so your darwinism does not apply for amd?
the mental gymnastics is strong in this one.

Reactions: TNA
Associate
Would AMD be missed if they pulled out of the dGPU market?
I'd say yes, competition is good for the consumer. A monopoly can lead to stagnation and marginal technology improvements. For example, when Intel was leading the CPU market for years, releasing quad core after quad core with 5-10% IPC gains annually (approximating this), they became complacent and lazy IMHO. Then Ryzen came along and Intel got caught with their proverbial pants down. What has this competition resulted in for us the consumer? We have significant increases in performance that would have been unlikely if Intel still lead the market, and at more affordable prices. I recall the Intel 6 core 5820k went for a significant price increase from the commonplace quadcore cpus. So now we have increased performance with more affordable platforms and cpus.
Win for the consumer!

So I'm hoping AMD stays in, and comes up with a Ryzen equivalent innovation to shake up the GPU market.

Man of Honour
OP
Sad that all the Nvidia zealots are jizzing over themselves thinking AMD is finished. Hate the clowns who caused the top end gpu's to push over £1000.

amd not competing in the dgpu arena would be a sad place indeed...on the other hand, consumers are not responsible for the antics of amd much less nvidia
the nvidia zealots are silly wanting to push prices up though, but as always, the consumer votes with their wallet
amd deesparately needs mindshare but they're persistently failing at this

Soldato
I think it's a bit extreme saying they're finished. By all accounts it sounds like RDNA5 will be a new direction.

There was a time AMD were almost written off in CPUs, then they brought us Ryzen.

We should all hope they stay producing, Nvidia only really care about the AI market now.

I currently own both Nvidia and AMD GPUs fwiw.

Soldato
The gpu market has no real competition, AMD hasn’t stopped Nvidia raising prices and have only joined them by jacking their own to similar levels.

Consumers are over a barrel and have no genuine competitive choice.

Maybe Intel will bring some much needed competition but I don’t hold much hope as they can’t even seem to sort their CPUs out right now.

Soldato
Topic also covered here in the first few minutes.

I finding myself wondering if the significant GPU sales decline would be quite as bad if they'd originally priced their GPU's accordingly this time round but I guess we will never know for sure.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Spend big on R&D, undercut Nvidia significantly to try and gain market share, Nvidia simply waited them out until they ran out of money, which they did, and then AMD bailed them out.

I don't really recall any of that undercutting, the one big flop ATI had in the mid 2000's was r600, but by that point they were already owned by AMD from the year previous. R600 was meant to be as big a deal as R300 but there was talk that portions of the core were non functional, also recall talk about the dx spec changing late into the game so the core simply didn't work as efficiently for what they had planned for.

They tried to flog 2900xt as being budget oriented but considering the previous talk about it being a big deal, that was an obvious smokescreen as it just didn't work as well as they had intended. There was an article on this years back on anandtech, a retrospective after the 4000 series launched and how it was a success and what went wrong with R600.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom