• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD GPU sales tanking

Soldato
While the GRE isn't a bad product it doesn't do enough to stand out. What's on offer? Similar to slightly worse performance for slightly less money, okay but the Geforce card offers better RT, upscaling, hardware acceleration, more software features and a lower power draw plus it's a stronger brand. If AMD is serious about this segment it needs a major rethink on how to attract customers. It's like the old Amiga 500 Vs Atari ST battles from back in the day, Amiga won because of it offered better and faster computing thanks to to it's custom chips which appealed to both game developers and consumers.
The problem for AMD is timing, had they came to market early last year with the current pricing and released all the card tiers faster then they would have done well, instead they spent a year trying to take advantage of Nvidia’s high pricing by squeezing consumers themselves and have now been caught out because they left it to long and it’s been Nvidia that cut the prices and released better value cards.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd bet on it tbh, but the gap just might narrow a bit not catch up (AMD have optimised a LOT for Vulkan iirc).

Vulkan is a bit of a cheat for AMD given that its Mantle under another name, i don't doubt there are some differences in the years since AMD gave it to the Khronos Group but the underlying core of it was designed and built by AMD for AMD.

I'm also glad CIG are using AMD's white paper on RT, While IMO that's a good thing for both Nvidia users as well as AMD, no matter which way you cut it Nvidia RT hardware is at least as good as AMD's in this generation, so the Nvidia performance can never be worse, only better.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The whole we are a premium thing AMD pushed was a waste of time in recent years. AMD launching late hasn't helped them.

Yep. It really has annoyed me and now on top they are technically behind nvidia too. Yet they want price cards like they are premium. Carry on I say. Give it a couple of more gens and Intel might have more market share :cry:

Then you will have humbug crying here about no one wants to buy AMD, when actually it was AMD who pushed away even their loyal customers over the years.

Last edited:
Associate
Vulkan is a bit of a cheat for AMD given that its Mantle under another name, i don't doubt there are some differences in the years since AMD gave it to the Khronos Group but the underlying core of it was designed and built by AMD for AMD.

I'm also glad CIG are using AMD's white paper on RT, While IMO that's a good thing for both Nvidia users as well as AMD, no matter which way you cut it Nvidia RT hardware is at least as good as AMD's in this generation, so the Nvidia performance can never be worse, only better.

I've googled but can't find it. Why are they using and method of ray tracing?

You've written it as if amd's implementation is superior so I'm just curious.

Caporegime
I've googled but can't find it. Why are they using and method of ray tracing?

You've written it as if amd's implementation is superior so I'm just curious.

Its not better, RT is RT is RT but like @ICDP said RTX is proprietary, its black box .dll's, they don't know what they are looking at and i don't trust those .dll's to be optimized for AMD.

Soldato
This got me thinking, does Vulkan favour AMD?
Like you say it's probably changed since AMD gave it to Khronos Group and they combined it with what they and made further changes. Like how many changes were needed to support Nvidia and Intel?
Also Mantle was developed around the same time as the 200 series wasn't it? So that was GCN? And it didn't support the architecture before that if I recall? So would it have supported RDNA? So can we be sure that Vulkan supports AMD any better than Nvidia or Intel at this point?

Caporegime
This got me thinking, does Vulkan favour AMD?
Like you say it's probably changed since AMD gave it to Khronos Group and they combined it with what they and made further changes. Like how many changes were needed to support Nvidia and Intel?
Also Mantle was developed around the same time as the 200 series wasn't it? So that was GCN? And it didn't support the architecture before that if I recall? So would it have supported RDNA? So can we be sure that Vulkan supports AMD any better than Nvidia or Intel at this point?

I don't know, its all just theorizing.

Soldato
AMD is the only real player in the console space. Nvidia selling Tegra chips to Nintendo at $20 a pop is insignificant. Intel is not even on the map with one handheld that completely flopped.

AMD put all its GPU eggs in one gaming GPU basket, that's their own problem lmao. So any slight decrease in console sales has a significant impact on GPU revenue for AMD

Last edited:
Associate
I've personally never had issues with AMD drivers, and I don't know many who have, at least in relevant recency. The ones who have had issues were all 5700 owners though.
I've had a few issues over the years,the one I always remember though is the mouse pointer bug :p I never did fix it. But I learned many years later it was just a bloody driver bug. Drove me crazy lol.

Last edited:
Associate
AMD put all its GPU eggs in one gaming GPU basket, that's their own problem lmao. So any slight decrease in console sales has a significant impact on GPU revenue for AMD
hasnt exactly helped that the next gen systems arent putting out games all the time. mainly getting carried by third party studios

Soldato
I think any sort of decline in sales would be inevtiable. As consoles age, along with handhelds, people just stop buying and sales dry up. It would be exactly the same if Nvidia made the GPU's for consoles; they would see a natural decline in sales. The video below suggests that some AMD GPU sales are still strong. I have no idea how credible this is.

MLID.jpg

Associate
I think any sort of decline in sales would be inevtiable. As consoles age, along with handhelds, people just stop buying and sales dry up. It would be exactly the same if Nvidia made the GPU's for consoles; they would see a natural decline in sales. The video below suggests that some AMD GPU sales are still strong. I have no idea how credible this is.

MLID.jpg

Price is always king though I am surprised the 7800XT still claimed to be selling strong, one bad thing with AMD is their global distribution is awful.

But I do read articles that sales are down for a lot of things, people who are spenders or enthusiasts have already bought what they wanted, the rest which is the bulk of people still can't afford a £/$/€400 plus GPU.

At the moment now, due to lowered DDR5 ram costs, people now can enter in to the AM5 platform with DDR5 ram or intel equivalent for that amount of money, the perceived value is really bad with PCs in general due to GPUs.

I imagine if prices aren't lowered for new gen stuff of anything, its gonna be bad sales ( not really bad income for AMD or Nvidia) but that side of things is gonna be rough, be another gen that most people still can't buy into and likely never buy into the AAA PC gaming space again.

But 'cozy' games if people know what I mean have shot up though, like they are doing really well and don't require lots of high end hardware to run.

Soldato
Even Nvidia saw a drop in gaming for their last quarter and that was with the release of the super cards offering better value so I don't think people can blame it all on the consoles for AMD.

Caporegime

That's easy.... Stable Diffusion / Machine Training.

Reasonably powerful, 16GB, cheap, a few hundred of them in a rack and you have yourself an ML training monster.

I'm surprised its taken people this long to spot them. They are perfect for the job and don't have an Nvidia tax. Its almost as if they were designed for it....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom