• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD - How To Overclock The Official Way Using Afterburner + Step By Step Overclocking Guide + Comple

Installed msi ab and 12.11 cap 2.
unlocked unoffical and set 2 overclocking mode.
huge flickering no change is applied to mem or core clock.
set kernel mode and now it works to set clock and mem.
no xcl or dll.
changed back to user mode and now it works there also.
7970 windows 8 64bit.

Installed msi ab and 12.11 cap 2.
unlocked unoffical and set 2 overclocking mode.
huge flickering no change is applied to mem or core clock.
set kernel mode and now it works to set clock and mem.
no xcl or dll.
changed back to user mode and now it works there also.
7970 windows 8 64bit.

Just a heads up once you apply an overclock in unofficial mode the card will not clock down until a 3d app is run.

That's why its better to stick with AMD's official mode as everything just works once you run the /xcl command.

Just done a reinstall without the DLL file and it is working. :)

P.S Did you enjoy your lay-in this morning. ;)

Yeah watched the cricket. :D

I've updated the guide, removed the part about the DLL and added atiman uninstaller link.

Last edited:
Guide updated!

I now advise using Driver Fusion (which ive included as a download) instead of atiman or amd's own utility as Driver Fusion does not delete vital registry/chipset files unlike the other two. Plus it makes a backup as well if anything goes wrong. Used it myself yesterday and can confirm its 100% safe.

Afterburner Tip for overlay or crashing problems

If you're having problems with afterburners overlay not showing up on screen (for example if you run fraps at the same time) or if you find that afterburner is causing a crash in a certain game you can try this to fix the problem. I had a problem with sleeping dogs, i couldn't get afterburners osd and fraps to work together on this game. If i had them both running at the same time sleeping dogs would crash upon load. To fix it do this. Go to rivatuner, click the + sign, add the game exe, click the spanner, then enable the compatibility mode. Now i can run afterburner and fraps at the same time on windows 8 on sleeping dogs.

You can also play about with the detection level if you are still having problems getting the osd to show on certain titles.

http://i.imgur.com/TfG2RXH.jpg - << Click me

Please resize image.

Last edited:
Hi so what's the HKShip.exe is it the Sleeping Dogs exe?

Yes that was just an example of the exe showing up as you add it as a profile under rivatuner.

A few people mentioned crashing issues with afterburner after quitting a game, will be interesting to see if setting up a profile, using compatibility mode and changing detection level to low will solve their issues. I'm sure it was pgi or someone who had problems.

Yes that was just an example of the exe showing up as you add it as a profile under rivatuner.

A few people mentioned crashing issues with afterburner after quitting a game, will be interesting to see if setting up a profile, using compatibility mode and changing detection level to low will solve their issues. I'm sure it was pgi or someone who had problems.

Hi thanks just wondering weather this. May help if running with Radeon Pro as I as well as others have had issues

When you Have afterburner and RadeonPro running sometime Bf3 crashes black screens thanks

Try this first - changing from user mode to kernel mode

myp9NTV.jpg

If that doesn't work try - Create a profile in rivatuner for bf3.exe, application level detection low, enable compatibility mode. See if that works.

If that doesn't work create a profile for RadeonPro in riva tuner and have the detection level at none or low.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom