• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Launches FMF2-Amd Fluid Motion Frames 2

Soldato

New Feature Highlights​

• AFMF 2 Technical Preview– A major advancement in frame generation technology for AMD HYPR-RX
    • Lower Latency and Higher Performance
      • AFMF 2 enhances fast-paced gaming by significantly reducing frame-generation latency and performance scaling through new modes.
    • Fast Motion Optimization
      • Enjoy smoother gameplay and higher FPS with improved frame generation consistency during fast motion.
    • Improved Borderless-Fullscreen Support
      • Expanded display mode support for RDNA 3 series graphics products ensures compatibility with virtually all borderless-fullscreen games.
    • Expanded API Support
      • Enable AFMF 2 for any OpenGLNEW, VulkanNEW, DirectX® 11, and 12 titles.
    • Radeon™ Chill Interop Support
      • AFMF 2 now supports Radeon™ Chill, providing a low latency FPS capping option.

What to Know?​

AFMF is a state-of-the-art frame generation technology exclusive to AMD. It enhances frame rates and gameplay smoothness and is integrated into AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™. As part of AMD HYPR-RX, our one-click performance solution, it delivers exceptional gaming experiences on AMD Radeon graphics cards.

How to Enable​

• AFMF 2 can be enabled for any OpenGLNEW, VulkanNEW, DirectX® 11, and 12 title using HYPR-RX or the AMD Fluid Motion 2 Toggle.
    • AFMF 2 currently requires the game to be played in exclusive or borderless fullscreen mode with V-SYNC disabled.
      • For a better visual experience, use AFMF 2 with a variable refresh rate-enabled display.
        • Enabling Radeon™ Chill after AFMF will automatically set the FPS cap to reduce tearing.
      • Use the in-game overlay (ALT+R) in AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ to check AFMF’s frame generation status.
    • AFMF 2 adds frame generation technology to boost FPS outside the game’s engine. Users can enable the AMD Software Performance Metrics Overlay to see the resulting FPS.

How to Optimize​

• AFMF 2 introduces new modes that are automatically tuned for the best experience based on your configuration. These can be manually adjusted to your preferences if needed
    • AFMF 2 adds a new “High” Search Mode setting for improved frame consistency during fast motion, enabled by default for resolutions of 2560x1440 and above.
      • This reduces the jittering or stuttering encountered with AFMF 1 at higher resolutions.
    • AFMF 2 adds a new Performance Mode setting to reduce frame-generation overhead, enabled as “Performance” by default for integrated graphics products.
      • Integrated graphics users may switch back to the “Quality” performance preset for better frame-generation quality during fast motion. The “Quality” preset is the default when using discrete graphics cards.
      • Users can manually enable this “Performance” mode on discrete graphics cards to hit even higher frame rates when GPU bound to maximize the FPS uplift.
    • Users can find these tuning options within the “Advanced View” of HYPR-RX.

Multi-GPU Configurations​

• For any hybrid-graphics configuration, AFMF 2 will use the displaying GPU for frame generation, allowing the render GPU to focus on the game.

What’s Next?​

We are continuously refining HYPR-RX with AFMF 2, using feedback from gamers across thousands of games to drive innovation. Join the conversation by sharing how well AFMF 2 is working on your system.

Fixed Issues​

• AFMF may become inactive after enabling certain on-screen overlays.

Known Issues​

• Performance metrics overlay may intermittently report N/A after task switching with certain display configurations.
  • Baldur's Gate 3 may experience an app crash on AMD Ryzen™ AI 300 Series Processors.
  • Intermittent driver timeout may occur after opening the Xbox Game Bar while AFMF 2 and RSR is active with certain Vulkan games.

Download Link:

AMD FMF2 blog:

Last edited:
Ancient Gameplays

AMD Fluid Motion Frames 2 - Better Quality, Less Latency, Vulkan Support & More!!

zwormz gaming

Testing AFMF 2 in 5 Games - Is it THAAAT Good?? ( RX 6600 )

Daniel Owen

AFMF 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

@Dicehunter Vulkan support

Last edited:
i dont have amd cards to test this, but what this probably means is that the secondary gpu could be configured to supply real frames while the primary gpu will insert fake frames

Last edited:
interesting. I'll give this a go. Didn't like the result of AFMF 1.

OP the link doesn't work. This one does https://www.amd.com/en/resources/support-articles/release-notes/RN-RAD-WIN-AFMF2-TECH-Preview.html

EDIT: Is this in the 24.7.1 driver? I love options to set things up differently in case some hardware doesn't play nice like the G8 OLED seems to do in some cases. Cheers.
lthqukF.jpeg

Last edited:
It's hard to capture it, but I was overall impressed with it; used Jedi Survivor as a test as it's fairly heavy and has some CPU stutter especially when transitioning screens. Overall I was impressed; I turned on chill to framecap it and apart from slight garbling when the camera changes I didn't really notice it being on. I think you really should mostly only use this for single player stuff and should be at half your monitor refresh rate; it's fine at like 70FPS to get 140FPS - but I think would be horrible if you were doing 30 to get to 60.

Here's a recording; 4K FSRed to 1440p with most of the things set to High: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYhMzKUHPOs

I struggled with AFMF during the beta stages before it was released in the offical driver though it was more a lack of knowledge of what I was doing and getting it to work though I finally did get it to work on Dark Souls 3 though it was flaky and quick camera movements caused it to stutter badly then sadly I got rid of my rx 6600.

At the time the concept of it was amazing esp as someone who plays older and emulated game's as it's great they still working and improving it and the video @Xelene posted it's got a lot better.

Early impressions are positive to say the least!

This is a huge upgrade from FMF1 to 2.

Frame gen in every game from entry level handhelds/Z1 Extreme/laptops/apu's/dgpu just got a whole, whole lot better for AMD users.

Last edited:
Been running this on Starfield for the past few days at 1440p with my 6700xt and it’s made quite a difference. It actually looks ok, tho the crosshairs definitely have artefacts if you stop and look at them. Definitely going to keep using it.

Back
Top Bottom