• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
So the 5700xt is the same speed as the 2070 and 15% slower than a 2080, comparing reference models.

It's all relative, normally a user won't notice the difference of 15%, so effectively 15% is also "the same" speed. If you ignore the 3-4% difference between the reference models.

Associate
It doesn't struggle, it beats it fair and square:

RX-5700-XT-Speed.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-nitro-special-edition/27.html

Not sure I really count a heavily clocked limited special edition card vs reference cards as in anyway accurate. So it's 3% faster then, despite being 7nm and over a year newer, so not really confident they will be competing at high end anytime soon, especially once nvidia shift node.

I hope im wrong, AMD competing at high end would be brilliant for the consumer, just don't see it.

Permabanned
Not sure I really count a heavily clocked limited special edition card vs reference cards as in anyway accurate. So it's 3% faster then, despite being 7nm and over a year newer, so not really confident they will be competing at high end anytime soon, especially once nvidia shift node.

I hope im wrong, AMD competing at high end would be brilliant for the consumer, just don't see it.

N7 process means that the chip size of Navi 10 is 56% of the chip size of TU106. 251 mm^2 vs 445 mm^2.
TU104 or RTX 2070S is 545 mm^2.

Soldato
Yes, because they've never shown an ounce of such nous before then and likely will never again. Doesn't take anything away from the card though and they're pretty good bar the driver niggles. Hopefully Big Navi shows up soon to put nVidia on their ass for a bit!
Nvidia is no Intel so I wouldn't hold my hopes up. Still competition is always welcomed.

Caporegime
Yes, that Navi's efficiency as a function of its die size and number of transistors compared to the Turing derivatives is in line so to expect a big Navi to completely obliterate at least RTX 2080 Ti.

Except you have just proven the opposite since Navi is built on a 7nm process.

Turing on 7nm would use half the power and be a similar die size while 20% faster again.

Soldato
Nvidia wont get caught with their pants down. They will crash whatever amd has to offer before its even out.
Except Nvidia is not going to do a equivalent of 1080ti again to pre-emptive AMD again. They are probably still kicking themselves for giving the consumer "too much" performance (even when really it's not) and not held back more to dip-feed them.

They are probably gonna release new gen cards and stack pricing on top of existing gen cards like they did with 2060/2070/2080 over 1060/1070/1080ti at launch, and then adjust pricing when AMD release their cards plus release super cards again to be a tinny bit faster than AMD's offering, and minus the pricing mishap with the Super this gen that led to them having the 2060 and 2060S competing against the 5700 and 5700XT rather than their planned scenario of 2070 and 2070s demolishing the 5700/5700XT.

Associate
Yes, that Navi's efficiency as a function of its die size and number of transistors compared to the Turing derivatives is in line so to expect a big Navi to completely obliterate at least RTX 2080 Ti.

Oh okay, so it's basically half the size of an nvidia 12nm (or whatever they are on), so double the size then double the performance? If you think that then I'll assume the opposite is true :D

Not into boxing by any chance? I could likely make a fortune betting against who ever you pick. The Teddy
Atlas of the tech world.

Caporegime
OP
Oh okay, so it's basically half the size of an nvidia 12nm (or whatever they are on), so double the size then double the performance? If you think that then I'll assume the opposite is true :D

Not into boxing by any chance? I could likely make a fortune betting against who ever you pick. The Teddy
Atlas of the tech world.
This made me laugh. But very true lol

Soldato
Yes, because they've never shown an ounce of such nous before then and likely will never again. Doesn't take anything away from the card though and they're pretty good bar the driver niggles. Hopefully Big Navi shows up soon to put nVidia on their ass for a bit!

I actually agree with @Marine-RX179 Lisa Su is a shrewd operator. She was hamstrung by Vega cards and AMD's financial position. But, with the Navi release she had better cards and more flexibility, money wise, to work with. It's only a tiny, tiny victory in the grand scheme of things. Hopefully it shows that good things are on the way from AMD.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I actually agree with @Marine-RX179 Lisa Su is a shrewd operator. She was hamstrung by Vega cards and AMD's financial position. But, with the Navi release she had better cards and more flexibility, money wise, to work with. It's only a tiny, tiny victory in the grand scheme of things. Hopefully it shows that good things are on the way from AMD.
Hopefully. I want to see AMD back in the race right at the top with Nvidia. Would be cool for AMD to have the crown as the fastest GPU for a while. Would do wonders for their mind share together with their performance with CPU's.

Would love to see them in a position where the best CPU and GPU combo is both AMD. Long due. They need to fill those coffers while they can.

I was actually close to picking up AMD shares when they were under $2 a few years ago. Then they shot up and I felt like I missed my opportunity so did not bother, which turned out to be a mistake. Never thought they would done as well as they have. I made a nice little profit from AMD shares when I was at uni back in the Athlon days. Missed out this time :(

Soldato
Hopefully. I want to see AMD back in the race right at the top with Nvidia. Would be cool for AMD to have the crown as the fastest GPU for a while. Would do wonders for their mind share together with their performance with CPU's.

Would love to see them in a position where the best CPU and GPU combo is both AMD. Long due. They need to fill those coffers while they can.

I was actually close to picking up AMD shares when they were under $2 a few years ago. Then they shot up and I felt like I missed my opportunity so did not bother, which turned out to be a mistake. Never thought they would done as well as they have. I made a nice little profit from AMD shares when I was at uni back in the Athlon days. Missed out this time :(

Yeah, I missed the shares too, I am kicking myself.

Don't think AMD are going to have the fastest GPU for a while yet. All I want is that they make solid GPUs over a few generations and restore some faith in their brand. Just like they did with Ryzen.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah, I missed the shares too, I am kicking myself.

Don't think AMD are going to have the fastest GPU for a while yet. All I want is that they make solid GPUs over a few generations and restore some faith in their brand. Just like they did with Ryzen.
I think it will be much harder to pull off in the GPU space though.

Caporegime

No. Su has herself said that they no longer want to position AMD as a budget brand when it comes to GPU's, they were going to push it to the edge as far as they could get away with. Maybe the drops were a backup plan but in no way was it planned, just not professional in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom