• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Just heard about these problems today - a little late to the party. There’s even people on the nvidia thread saying it’s not an issue. Hilarious.

Yeah I've been following the Nvidia threads on and off for a while. The mindset of these people amazes me.

Two Nvidia generations in a row now have had catastrophic hardware issues yet it doesn't matter. The fans are still DESPERATE to buy one.

Yet AMD have a minor driver issue (now fixed) and people avoid it. AMD's upcoming RDDA2 cards need to be 100% perfect in every way because people are looking for the tiniest excuse to avoid AMD.

Caporegime
Yeah I've been following the Nvidia threads on and off for a while. The mindset of these people amazes me.

Two Nvidia generations in a row now have had catastrophic hardware issues yet it doesn't matter. The fans are still DESPERATE to buy one.

Yet AMD have a minor driver issue (now fixed) and people avoid it. AMD's upcoming RDDA2 cards need to be 100% perfect in every way because people are looking for the tiniest to avoid AMD.

Let them pay stupid money for their broken GPU's, stick to being 'atheist' and take quiet satisfaction in your smart thinking. Cults are gonna willingly bend over no matter what.

I stay out of those threads, they give me a migraine.

Soldato
You are arguing semantics guys, the point is that even when AMD have a better GPU it doesn't seem to be reflected in the market-share. So if (note the IF) 6900XT is faster than 3090 and sold for £1000, people will complain that AMD should be charging half that price "cus AMD".

You can see it in this very thread. Some people genuinely claiming that Navi needs to beat 3080 AND be priced significantly cheaper for them to consider them as a purchase. History shows there is no way AMD are ever going to win over those individuals. 290X is a perfect example.

Associate
.......the 780TI was still only 4% faster than the 290X.
Nah.......

perfrel-2560.gif

perfrel-1920.gif

Caporegime
:o

I know but the titan wasn't the only card it was up against. You want to know why the 290x didn't sell as well as it could have, well, there's the reasons! It's not all because of the og Titan.

Have it your way, the 780TI launched 3 weeks or so after the 290X, by which point AMD had AIB versions.

The 290X was $550
The 780TI was $700

Performance difference of 7% going off @five8five slide.

How much market share did AMD gain against Nvidia? they didn't, they lost market share.

Soldato
And it was slower and more power hungry. Don't look for a smoking gun because there isn't one. There's lots of little reasons, any one of those could be used to justify an alternative card over the 290x. But then that's what I said originally so? *shrug*

It took a long time for the 290x to mature, and until then there were alternatives that were all better in some respect, and that's ignoring the original titan.

Caporegime
And it was slower and more power hungry. Don't look for a smoking gun because there isn't one. There's lots of little reasons, any one of those could be used to justify an alternative card over the 290x. But then that's what I said originally so? *shrug*

You're repeating the same nonsense reasoning the Nvidia fan base made at the time, using the reference design arguments as if they applied to AIB models.

AIB ones ran cool and quiet, it was a 290 Watt GPU, compared with 250 Watts of the 780TI, i had a Powercolor AIB version, PCS+ i think it was, it never got to 70c.

Be it because people were so gullible as to believe the heat nonsense spouted constantly by the Zealots of Leather Jacket Man even when applied wrongly to AIB versions or they already had Zero interest in AMD's GPU's to start with the 290X was comparable to the 780TI for much less money AMD lost market share to Nvidia because of it.

Intel's CPU's still game faster, for now. AMD had issues, real issues with Ryzen early on, AMD still outsold Intel then and now AMD outsell Intel near 9 to 1 in all the DIY space published data.

The GPU crowd are a different breed, AMD might gain some lost market share back with GPU's that offer a lot more for your money than Nvidia, but they can never beat Nvidia, i'm looking forward to better price to performance GPU's from AMD, beyond that i think they should just follow Nvidia's lead and ramp the high end right up because its not going to make the blindest bit off difference anyway and i'd rather they cash in on some of it and stuff their coffers for R&D to keep ahead of Intel.

TrM

TrM

Associate
You're repeating the same nonsense reasoning the Nvidia fan base made at the time, using the reference design arguments as if they applied to AIB models.

AIB ones ran cool and quiet, it was a 290 Watt GPU, compared with 250 Watts of the 780TI, i had a Powercolor AIB version, PCS+ i think it was, it never got to 70c.

Be it because people were so gullible as to believe the heat nonsense spouted constantly by the Zealots of Leather Jacket Man even when applied wrongly to AIB versions or they already had Zero interest in AMD's GPU's to start with the 290X was comparable to the 780TI for much less money AMD lost market share to Nvidia because of it.

back then if I can remember that far back correctly:) my biggest problem with 290x was how long it took for AIB cards to come out with custom coolers.
I’m sure it was a good couple of months for the better custom cooled cards come out. I tried the reference cooler out and hated the temps and noise keeped it till the next nvidia cards come out but was a easy upgrade due to the refrance design I wished I would have gotten the one u got might of keeped it longer

Soldato
back then if I can remember that far back correctly:) my biggest problem with 290x was how long it took for AIB cards to come out with custom coolers.
I’m sure it was a good couple of months for the better custom cooled cards come out. I tried the reference cooler out and hated the temps and noise keeped it till the next nvidia cards come out but was a easy upgrade due to the refrance design I wished I would have gotten the one u got might of keeped it longer
I just ran a 290x and a 295x2 straight out the box on day one and all was well for me. Two of the best cards I ever owned actually tbh...

Caporegime
Some, like Club3D and HIS had Axial Fan cooled ones out at launch, the usual MSI, Gigabyte did take a couple of months.

This shouldn't make a huge difference in sales, good AIB ones were available before the 780TI. HIS was a big name back then.

Soldato
My 5070XT works straight out the box?
Hence the quotation marks around "work". We all know the past few AMD releases have been pushed past their efficiency sweet spot and have greatly benefitted from some tuning to bring the temps and the heat down (which has often resulted in a performance boost). I was just saying don't throw the Ampere is hot and hungry mud slinging around because the Nvidiots will just fire back with "but Vega but Navi but Polaris blah blah blah". Let's not stoop to their level ;)

Soldato
Hence the quotation marks around "work". We all know the past few AMD releases have been pushed past their efficiency sweet spot and have greatly benefitted from some tuning to bring the temps and the heat down (which has often resulted in a performance boost). I was just saying don't throw the Ampere is hot and hungry mud slinging around because the Nvidiots will just fire back with "but Vega but Navi but Polaris blah blah blah". Let's not stoop to their level ;)

Completely agree with you on this. Each company has had their power hungry monsters, and their efficient sipping jewels. Just the cycle.

I am very curious where AMD is going to land power wise.

Soldato
I am very curious where AMD is going to land power wise.
I don't see AMD needing to go daft with 350W, but certainly they have some flexibility with their optics in pushing their midrange cards to about 270W and the flagship to 300W to get some oomph and still be a chunk under Ampere's draw.

Personally I'm hoping it's not needed; my best-case napkin maths has been based on the 50% performance per watt uplift claimed by AMD and I've done a 40CU model beating the 3070 at the same 225W as the 5700XT.

Soldato

No you just don't like the truth. I nearly bought a msi lightening 290x. Very nearly. Made a poll here because I couldn't decide, so don't think for a second Im just repeating some bassless nonsense I heard elsewhere. I knew everything I needed to know about the cards at the time.

I expect better from you, humbug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom