• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
With the specs of these new consoles I do wonder if Adobe Permiere and Sony Vega could be ported to next gen console though.
People on a lesser spec PC have been using those programs for a long time. One of the limitations for developers would be money/resources.
IE: Developers for both would need to ask themselves: "Is there a profitable market selling our products on console to offset the cost of production?" For example.

No reason why they can't while the console architecture is purley PC based now. I mean next gen consoles are looking at integrating Keyboard and mouse. If they can make a console operate like a PC they would win over a lot of people.
Would be so easy to optimise for as it's just one of a few hardware sets unlike Desktop or Laptop based systems.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
I'm surprised Microsoft haven't slapped a Windows boot option on the XSX. Surely Windows in the living room has been a goal for decades? And now they have a powerful Zen 2 computer available yet probably won't?

well it is running direct X 12 basically. as its ray tracing is DXR.

Associate
I doubt Nvidia targets their cards specifically at people who bought the previous generation. Surely the 2080ti is for people who previously bought a 780ti or a 980ti?

As a 980Ti owner I can say they missed that target audience wider than a North Korean missile test :) They basically made me skip another generation and will do so again if they can’t get there price/performance right. If I end up going console or Navi 2x then that could be 5-6 generations of Nvidia product cycle skipped over... I know Nvidia has its fans but I can’t be the only one acting along similar lines.

Soldato
As a 980Ti owner I can say they missed that target audience wider than a North Korean missile test :) They basically made me skip another generation and will do so again if they can’t get there price/performance right. If I end up going console or Navi 2x then that could be 5-6 generations of Nvidia product cycle skipped over... I know Nvidia has its fans but I can’t be the only one acting along similar lines.

Correct. I don't see the 2080ti as targeting either of those. Those cards, while high end at the time - are now considered cheap. So a lot of those owners can't afford the 2080ti anyway - I know 980ti owners who thought the 1080ti was overpriced, let alone the 2080ti

Associate
Same I WANT to upgrade my 980ti and I have wanted to for the past 2 gens but the price/ performance just isn't enough for me to warrant it

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Or go 1440p, as Tim (Hardware Unboxed) said recently, biggest jump from 1080p is to 1440p and the jump to 4k is much smaller :p

Yeah that's fair to point out that there is less gains beyond a certain price point where your outlay is getting less value or quality. My point is really that all TV's and soon to follow monitors will be settling to this resolution (because lets face it 1080 has been around for ages) not just from a marketing standpoint, but also because even the entry and low tier GPU's can all cope at 1080 without breaking any sweat (even the 2060 or 5600 can do 1440p, so lets say that is available to the masses).

We know the top tier nvidia cards are about the performance you need to play at that resolution for the past couple of years now, so if they can achieve a generational improvement of 20-30% faster with a die-shrink, this sweet spot is the holy grail. Realistically it has to be affordable to the masses which means no more than a complete console would cost for many people to commit. Enthusiasts and hardcore gamer's are not 'the masses' before it gets nitpicked. :p

Soldato
Hmm, never thought of that. Would people who bang on about eye candy settings and all that use RT at 1080p?

Well, in Metro Exodus, in the desert area, with a rtx2080, without RT, all else maxed out, it can't hold 60fps@1080p - it can even drop under 50fps in some (edge) cases! :D
RT ON and 60fps is doable at 720p (with other settings maxed out).

Some games are pretty demanding even at 1080p without RT if you go up in settings (Deus Ex: MD with 4xMSAA is the limit and with 8x it falls serious under 60fps) , so it's a matter of how much you'll willing to sacrifice in perceived image quality (as some settings tend to be dialed to 11 for no reason), and gain in resolution and frame rate.

Soldato
Hmm, never thought of that. Would people who bang on about eye candy settings and all that use RT at 1080p?

Varies game by game. In SotTR? Sure. In something like RDR 2? Hell no, it's 4K or bust (I know it has no RT; but if). Games all scale differently (visually) with resolution so there's no one answer, and I'd say it also depends on the effect. I just dgaf about reflections so I'd not use it in BF V regardless, but oh boy for Global Illumination? Always. And in open world games? I HAVE to have it and in fact I'll always max that setting first regardless of anything else.

Associate
Same I WANT to upgrade my 980ti and I have wanted to for the past 2 gens but the price/ performance just isn't enough for me to warrant it

I went from a 980ti to a 2080ti at launch. Looking back it was a great decision (coupled with 9900k at its launch). For 2 years, my pc remains at the top of the performance envelope and everything I throw at it runs at great performance. The 980ti was a constant bag of compromises, especially in VR back in late 2018 and I doubt it’s gotten better since.

Associate
Yeah if you're into your VR you had no choice but to upgrade from the 980Ti and to be fair I would have bought one too had the price been right or the performance significantly higher.

Some tough choices ahead though as the 980Ti isn't going to last another year and potentially some great console options this time around, things aren't as clear cut as once they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom