• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The endless bickering about semantics in this thread. It's like listening to a philosophical debate that just ends up being an argument about word choice. Why can't people just discuss / dream / theorise about the incoming hardware? I can understand posting some discussion and counterpoints but it's more like people want to rain on the parade. Rain on it when it's being organised, gathering, starting, proceeding and ending. And then stomp it into the the mud, regardless of how amazing the parade was / wasn't, whilst screeching about whatever it is they favour.

I'm surprised there isn't more use of the ignore button. The bickering is something to do I guess :D.
If I ignored every argumentative numpty who ****** me off every page would be a row of blanks :p

Soldato
He's not, he's fallen into the same trap I have done when people are defining tiers differently. Absolute positioning vs Relative positioning.

Absolutely, the 5700XT is a mid-tier card. Its performance and price do not rival cards like the 2080 Ti and 3080.
Relatively, the 5700XT is AMD's top tier card; there is nothing above it in their product stack.

Although I'll be honest in saying I've lost track of what the actual argument is now :p

Haaa. Gotta chuckle out of that.

The endless bickering about semantics in this thread. It's like listening to a philosophical debate that just ends up being an argument about word choice. Why can't people just discuss / dream / theorise about the incoming hardware? I can understand posting some discussion and counterpoints but it's more like people want to rain on the parade. Rain on it when it's being organised, gathering, starting, proceeding and ending. And then stomp it into the the mud, regardless of how amazing the parade was / wasn't, whilst screeching about whatever it is they favour.

I'm surprised there isn't more use of the ignore button. The bickering is something to do I guess :D.
If the competition launched had been better and, they were able to actually buy them I don't think they would be here. If you read into "those" comments its clear they are projecting.
:D

Soldato
Their ace in the pack is still DLSS. Quite simply because it can make the unplayable playable. AMD need to work hard on that now. Once they do? their RT performance will improve massively just like Nvidia's did.

But yeah, as someone who hates Nvidia (and owns three of their cards) DLSS is the best thing that has happened in years. RT pales in significance when compared to a tech that can nigh on double your framerates at 4k.

However, and I will say this; AMD are usually better at things like that when they knuckle down. VSR was every bit as good as DSR. Freesync was clearly better and easier to do than Gsync (which is why Nvidia have basically hijacked that train and stomped their name all over it) and Tress FX was massively better than Hairworks. It looked better, it didn't hurt performance anywhere near as much and so on. AMD's driver app is much better IMO. But that one is a "I don't really care". However they've also written their own APIs and had a hand in that too.

AMD can be brilliant when they want to be. They just need to do it now. Gamedoesn'tworks was a travesty for PC gaming.

The 'saving grace' for AMD on DLSS is that it only works in like 10 games... If DLSS becomes widely available/useable then AMD might have a problem, but until then it's not really as relevant as some folk seem to suggest.

Soldato
:confused:
It works on Radeons, too. It's called 'settings adjustment' - leave ultra settings and play with medium or high - the same end result ;)

Come on that is really silly. If you lower settings across the board the game looks worse. If it is continually adjusting and learning it changes, meaning you get better settings for so much of the time that in action you would not even notice it.

I can't notice the difference. Personally speaking. As I said though I do fully expect AMD to counter it. They will know damn well how good it is an know they need an answer. I don't care about RT. At all.

Soldato
The 'saving grace' for AMD on DLSS is that it only works in like 10 games... If DLSS becomes widely available/useable then AMD might have a problem, but until then it's not really as relevant as some folk seem to suggest.
And until then AMD have RIS and the Dev-implemented FidelityFX (so same deal as DLSS then - might as well not exist). I wonder if there's a version 2 coming alongside Big Ass Doggy Dog Tip Top Navi Daddy (that's the new name, right?)

Soldato

Yes very true. As I said though, they will be working on it without a doubt. Maybe there is a trick the new consoles use that big navi will use also, yet Nvidia won't be able to? IDK. I am sure they are not dismissing it as something that cuts visual quality and just forgetting it.

Permabanned
Come on that is really silly. If you lower settings across the board the game looks worse. If it is continually adjusting and learning it changes, meaning you get better settings for so much of the time that in action you would not even notice it.

I can't notice the difference. Personally speaking. As I said though I do fully expect AMD to counter it. They will know damn well how good it is an know they need an answer. I don't care about RT. At all.

There are many many reviews there showing that there is no image quality loss between ultra high - high, etc lower:

TrM

TrM

Associate
There are many many reviews there showing that there is no image quality loss between ultra high - high, etc lower:

and the best way to prove it is on a youtube heavly compressed video:) its like asking my dad to read somthing without his glasses on :(

Soldato
https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-big-navi-gpu-3dmark-benchmarks-leaked/

Alleged performance benchmarks for the AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT "Big Navi" graphics card have been leaked out. The numbers come from an AMD AIB partner who has mentioned to us that the performance metrics are based on an early engineering board and that they can further improve by the time the card launches.

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT "Big Navi" GPU 3DMark Benchmarks Leak Out - Allegedly Destroys The GeForce RTX 3080 at 4K Raster But Looses In Ray Tracing
Hmmm....

Last edited:
Caporegime
Soldato
I'd be pleasantly surprised if that's the 6800 XT, but tempered expectations say it's actually the top card. But even then it's a win. If Nvidia are touting the 3080 as their flagship card then whatever these leaks denote mean AMD have beaten Nvidia's flagship. RT performance would also be in line with the long-standing rumours: beats Turing, doesn't match Ampere.

But let the Hype Train relish these leaks as truly being the 6800XT because that just gives us a bigger beast to get in the 3090's face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom