• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
He says that RT performance is closer to a RTX2080TI.

I suspect that most gamers aren't going to care as long as we continue to get 3-5 AAA games a year on PC with Ray Tracing. If it picks up and becomes more widespread then it will matter.

However if/when it becomes more important, AMD will need to have its DLSS competitor ready - you guys will know that 2080ti level of Ray Tracing is not enough without image re-construction, even native 1440p is a real problem with 2080ti level of ray tracing performance if you want more than 30fps. For consoles its fine, gamers on consoles like 30fps but PC gamers will not stand for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I suspect that most gamers aren't going to care as long as we continue to get 3-5 AAA games a year on PC with Ray Tracing. If it picks up and becomes more widespread then it will matter

I am also looking forward to playing some titles that are already out in higher settings @ 4k. I can play some older games in the library on my vega maxed out but the tougher ones would have to be 1440p.

Soldato
"LLLLLLadies aand Gentleman..."
*Rumor
6900XT
6800XT

10 Games using the 6800XT vs 3080
@4K
AMD wins 5 games
AMD draws 2 games
AMD loses 3 games against 3080

@1440p
AMD wins 8 games
AMD loses 2 games against the 3080

DLSS competitor in December 2020...

Price?? Undecided at the time of the video. The rumor is to undercut Nvidia. But not confirmed. Rumor discussion is that, "Should we undercut Nvidia when we are on par with them?"

AMD supply should be reasonable. Not sure what that means.
Link?

Soldato
Looks good if true. He says that RT performance is closer to a RTX2080TI.
Indeed.
Makes me wonder if they will also win: Power consumption, Heat and Noise.
The only thing left is price at that point. Will they make the more conservative decision on pricing them at least $50 cheaper then the out of stock competitor?
If they do, will they have enough stock to really make a dent in the market?
Personally, I don't care about the RT results. Not enough interest for me to want any game because it offers RT.

It was in a video posted by Grim
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34114639.

I was summarizing the video.

Soldato
Indeed.
Makes me wonder if they will also win: Power consumption, Heat and Noise.
The only thing left is price at that point. Will they make the more conservative decision on pricing them at least $50 cheaper then the out of stock competitor?
If they do, will they have enough stock to really make a dent in the market?

I hope AMD does undercut them a bit,so to give Nvidia no room with their huge dies,and expensive VRAM. If not reviewers will find some way to spin the RT advantage if they are priced the same,just like with the tessellation advantage Fermi had.

I suspect that most gamers aren't going to care as long as we continue to get 3-5 AAA games a year on PC with Ray Tracing. If it picks up and becomes more widespread then it will matter.

However if/when it becomes more important, AMD will need to have its DLSS competitor ready - you guys will know that 2080ti level of Ray Tracing is not enough without image re-construction, even native 1440p is a real problem with 2080ti level of ray tracing performance if you want more than 30fps. For consoles its fine, gamers on consoles like 30fps but PC gamers will not stand for it.

I think if AMD slightly undercuts Nvidia,then it won't matter so much IMHO. If they price exactly the same as Nvidia it might lead to reviewers also concentrating on RT performance,and my main concern is how Nvidia will use Cyberpunk 2077 as a marketing tool.

Soldato
I hope AMD does undercut them a bit,so to give Nvidia no room with their huge dies,and expensive VRAM. If not reviewers will find some way to spin the RT advantage if they are priced the same,just like with the tessellation advantage Fermi had.
Good point. Undercuting Nvidia is essential. So that when they do the "but DLSS 2.0 in limited titles" by then AMD will have some sort of counter.
And to be frank, if availability is good reviewers should also count that as a plus (+) for their summary.

Lets face it, performance is going to be good if Nvidia decided to use their GA102 for their 3070 variants, ROFL.

Soldato
Good point. Undercuting Nvidia is essential. So that when they do the "but DLSS 2.0 in limited titles" by then AMD will have some sort of counter.
And to be frank, if availability is good reviewers should also count that as a plus (+) for their summary.

Lets face it, performance is going to be good if Nvidia decided to use their GA102 for their 3070 variants, ROFL.

This is exactly what happened with Fermi,as Nvidia needed to use larger dies and larger memory buses to compete with AMD. I do hope this is a Maxwell like moment for AMD in terms of performance/watt. Some AMD laptops with decent AMD dGPUs would be a nice change!!

Permabanned
I don't care enough about RT this gen and maybe next (plus I always wait 6+ months after game releases, so Cyberpunk 2077 isn't a concern).

I just want the best bang-for-buck rasterisation card for roughly around where the 3070 is supposed to be - by Xmas, otherwise I'll wait for refreshes next year.

Associate
I don't care enough about RT this gen and maybe next (plus I always wait 6+ months after game releases, so Cyberpunk 2077 isn't a concern).

I just want the best bang-for-buck rasterisation card for roughly around where the 3070 is supposed to be - by Xmas, otherwise I'll wait for refreshes next year.

Yeah there's still not really enough games out with RT for it to be worthwhile yet, it's only properly getting introduced widely with the consoles now, so it'll be this time next year where we'll start seeing a lot more games with good RT, so in other words, when RDNA3/Hopper are meant to be getting announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom