• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Navi 3X" (RDNA 3 discussion thread) ***

Soldato
Some interesting from RGT on YouTube. RDNA3 sounds like it's showing promise. I think if you don't need to upgrade the smart money is waiting to see what these potential MCM cards will do. This could be like the move from single core CPUs to multicore, a big leap in performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
They need much better RT performance, and to start whipping their SuperRes division to get the product out! Otherwise their only hope is for more mindless demand and supply issues (aka pull an Intel). Right now it's pretty disappointing to see a whole lot of nothing coming out of Radeon in terms of software.

Soldato
They need much better RT performance, and to start whipping their SuperRes division to get the product out! Otherwise their only hope is for more mindless demand and supply issues (aka pull an Intel). Right now it's pretty disappointing to see a whole lot of nothing coming out of Radeon in terms of software.

I'm sure it's coming. Remember they are a generation behind Nvidia. Given they are fighting two larger companies on two fronts I'd say they're doing pretty well. This is a very different AMD from 10 years ago.

Soldato
Some interesting from RGT on YouTube. RDNA3 sounds like it's showing promise. I think if you don't need to upgrade the smart money is waiting to see what these potential MCM cards will do. This could be like the move from single core CPUs to multicore, a big leap in performance.

This guy (paul) just makes it all up, and maybe references the odd patent etc. there's no way anyone could know any detail about AMD MCM GPUs at this early stage. MCM is far more likely to be utilized in the 8000/9000 series, maybe as an early design, given the recently released MCM patent.

NV's early MCM research shows 2, 4 or (maybe) 8 MCM chiplet designs, I'd be surprises if AMDs approach wasn't somewhat similar. They mentioned 80-90% efficiency, so maybe 2 MCMs would grant upto 180% performance vs a single large die.

Frankly, just saying it has 160 CUs (like 2 MCM version of the 80 CU RX 6900 XT) lacks imagination - they just took the number and doubled it. The same thing happened with 90% of RDNA 2 predictions, they said 80 CUs for 'Big Navi' (double the top Navi 10 chips) - But the card most can actually afford has 72. Then the top 1% are Rx 6900 XTs...

The rumour mill just makes it up :D. They had no idea how many ROPs RDNA 2 cards would have, or memory bus etc.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There is a chance the cards will be launched later this year - 2021, or at some point in Q1 2022.
Also, it is likely the global situation will improve by that time and the production will resume as per normal.

Why do you need that trolling?
LOL. No chance. The poster you're responding to is just as frustrated as most people who can't get their hands on AMD's unicorn reference cards.

Completely understandable.

AMD haven't delivered RDNA2 properly yet, and talking about RDNA3 coming out this year is just more unicorn fantasy land. AMD aren't capable. CPUs they're doing OK, GPUs they might as well not bother.

Soldato
AMD aren't capable. CPUs they're doing OK, GPUs they might as well not bother.

I think the 5600XT is pretty great actually, beats all of Intel's current line up on ST performance. I think TSMC's 5nm EUV fab process will prove superior to Intel's problematic, massively delayed 10nm, for desktop CPUs in 2022. Hopefully, rocket lake /11th gen Intel CPUs will force AMD to reduce 5000 series prices...

For GPUs, I think it will be a much more even fight between AMD and NV, with both very likely using a similar 5nm EUV process.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So let me get this right....
In an Investors conference call Dr Lisa Sue said said they will be using the same techniques they used with Zen 3 to improve IPC and performance per watt again by 50% like they did with RDNA2
Others are saying RDNA3 will be MCM, Like Zen 2 / 3 it will have a separate IO die and multiple core chiplets, the flagship being 2X 80 CU, or in other words 2X a 6900XT.

Caporegime
For GPUs, I think it will be a much more even fight between AMD and NV, with both very likely using a similar 5nm EUV process.
I very much doubt it will be a 2021 product or even early 2022 as the poster I quoted was saying. End of 2022, maybe.

Even then, it could be the best GPU in the world, but if AMD can't get them into people's hands, they might as well not bother. At the volumes they're selling atm (barely a trickle) they might as well have delayed the launch by 6 months.

Caporegime
@FoxEye the 5600X is as fast as the 10900K in gaming, in 2020 every 8 out of 10 CPU's sold to DIY'ers was Ryzen.

In GPU's after a 5 year absence from the high end AMD's new Flagship GPU is every bit as fast as Nvidia's best in Rasterization performance.

AMD are capable.

Caporegime
Thought this was a thread about RDNA. I guess it's a thread about how great the 5600XT is? My bad.

Clearly they are only capable of delivering one product at a time. Trying to launch new CPUs and new GPUs and new consoles together was beyond them.

The volumes of GPUs they are shipping is miniscule. And that after saying they would have a better launch than nVidia ("there will be plenty of stock; not a paper launch").

Associate
They won't have the same pressure from Sony and MS in the future, they can make more graphic cards. But i don't think we will see new generations this year, not even from Nvidia.
I am more concerned about their lack of performance in the software department, than in the hardware department.

Soldato
You are completely correct, the rx 6000 launch has been pretty abysmal, nothing wrong with the GPUs themselves though, especially the rx 6800 xt.

Consoles were prioritized, its what always happens. Imagine the disappointment / complaining if it wasn't this way? Console chips are lower power, lower spec and can be more easily mass produced. As a result, low-mid end graphics cards like the rx 6700 xt are still nowhere to be seen.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thought this was a thread about RDNA. I guess it's a thread about how great the 5600XT is? My bad.

Clearly they are only capable of delivering one product at a time. Trying to launch new CPUs and new GPUs and new consoles together was beyond them.

The volumes of GPUs they are shipping is miniscule. And that after saying they would have a better launch than nVidia ("there will be plenty of stock; not a paper launch").

CPU's, GPU's and the two mainstream Consoles.

Look, Nvidia sold 20 Million RTX 2000 and 3000 Series GPU's Total, Sony expect to sell 18 Million PS5's in 2021 alone, they already sold 4 Million in the last quarter of 2020, and none of this is Including Microsoft.

Asus just launched 6 new high end Laptop's, ALL of them Ryzen, and one more budget Laptop with an "Intel Inside"

Yes AMD have a supply issue, that supply issue is because of demand for thier products, they are selling twice as many products as Nvidia, its such a terrible thing to be in high demand.

Caporegime
Geez @humbug, maximum AMD defence mode ENABLED

Ever heard of "spreading yourself too thin" or "don't over-promise and under-deliver"?

"There will be plenty of stock; this is not a paper launch." Cue virtually no stock for the next 3 months since launch... Never mind tho, I wouldn't expect you to understand. Say it with me, "AMD! AMD! AMD! AMD!" :p

Caporegime
Geez @humbug, maximum AMD defence mode ENABLED

Ever heard of "spreading yourself too thin" or "don't over-promise and under-deliver"?

"There will be plenty of stock; this is not a paper launch." Cue virtually no stock for the next 3 months since launch... Never mind tho, I wouldn't expect you to understand. Say it with me, "AMD! AMD! AMD! AMD!" :p

Don't even think about it, I will buy whatever is best for me, i have bough more prodcts from Intel, Nvidia, AMD in my time than most people have had birthdays, you're just talking crap.

Caporegime
Back on topic.

So let me get this right....
In an Investors conference call Dr Lisa Sue said said they will be using the same techniques they used with Zen 3 to improve IPC and performance per watt again by 50% like they did with RDNA2
Others are saying RDNA3 will be MCM, Like Zen 2 / 3 it will have a separate IO die and multiple core chiplets, the flagship being 2X 80 CU, or in other words 2X a 6900XT.

Caporegime
Don't even think about it, I will buy whatever is best for me, i have bough more prodcts from Intel, Nvidia, AMD in my time than most people have had birthdays, you're just talking crap.
Ahem. Says the man who drive the "RX 480 will be a 980Ti killer" hype train. :p

Anyway most of us have been around long enough to know what's what. To know where a poster's allegiances lie :p

Back
Top Bottom