• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Navi 3X" (RDNA 3 discussion thread) ***

Caporegime
Being wrong does not upset me, FoxEye.
No but apparently posting criticism of AMD does, as you jump to their defence every time.

Not sure why you'd think my aim is to upset you, tho. I've got much better things to do with my time.

When I post criticism of AMD it's because I think they deserve it, not to trigger you! It just seems to have that affect..

Soldato
I'm not the one triggered.

Indeed. I think there are a fair few trolls and oddballs on here. Truth be told we don't really know who they are, where they live, who they represent etc. I'm just ignoring anyone who's not really contributing to the discussion. Definitely improving the experience ;)

Caporegime
Question: why do you feel the need to jump to AMD's defence? Or do you not see it that way?

I care so much i don't own an AMD GPU. I engage in conversation, what you read in to that is your problem and yours alone.

Indeed. I think there are a fair few trolls and oddballs on here. Truth be told we don't really know who they are, where they live, who they represent etc. I'm just ignoring anyone who's not really contributing to the discussion. Definitely improving the experience ;)

They are part of life, it takes allsorts and allsorts makes it interesting. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I care so much i don't own an AMD GPU. I engage in conversation, what you read in to that is your problem and yours alone.
Alright but don't you think it's odd, that you responded to criticism of AMD's RDNA2 paper launch, by saying, "But look how great their CPUs are! And they make great laptops!"

Is that engaging in conversation about the topic at hand, or deflecting? This is an RDNA3 thread isn't it?

e: Do you disagree that AMD's RDNA2 "launch" has been a dismal failure, after they said they'd have plenty of stock?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Alright but don't you think it's odd, that you responded to criticism of AMD's RDNA2 paper launch, by saying, "But look how great their CPUs are! And they make great laptops!"

Is that engaging in conversation about the topic at hand, or deflecting? This is an RDNA3 thread isn't it?

That framing, Fox. No, that's not what happened.

Caporegime
Good advice that mate.

Associate
OK, I'll let you all get back to your regularly scheduled AMD loving circle jerk.

No wonder this place has a pro-AMD reputation. Zero tolerance for anti-AMD sentiment here :p
THAT'S WHY IT'S CALLED THE
AMD "Navi 3X" (RDNA 3 discussion thread)haha :p:o:cool:

Associate
For a minute I thought @humbug was talking to his imaginary friend Fox, but then I realised I put him on ignore list several years ago :D

There is some chatter around the watercooler, that AMD set out some relatively insane targets for RDNA3. I mean Radeon 7 was 7nm, 6900xt is also 7nm. Performance difference between those two?
Now add new node, and only an idiot would assume that AMD cannot bring some major improvements again, I'm sure their main targets will be to improve RT.

RDNA2 is the first arch done by "in the green" AMD. All the archs before that were done with shoestring budget.
RTX 2000 series was beating AMD GPUs so bad, that no one even expected AMD to even come close to 3000 series. Yet here we are, AMD going neck a neck with nVidia's best, just in one generation.
The pandora's box has been opened, AMD engineers have been underappreciated and underpaid for too long, they have a bone to pick, and since money tap is open now for R&D, I expect some great things from AMD.
One area where I am still sceptical about AMD's execution is software department, and how they will go about optimising games and some other software for their future GPUs. nVidia does that brilliantly.

Soldato
One area where I am still sceptical about AMD's execution is software department, and how they will go about optimising games and some other software for their future GPUs. nVidia does that brilliantly.
Which is another way of saying; how much money will AMD throw at developers to "tweak" their game to work better with their hardware. Kinda like how nVidia does currently.

Associate
Which is another way of saying; how much money will AMD throw at developers to "tweak" their game to work better with their hardware. Kinda like how nVidia does currently.

For a moment, AMD is going the right way around the game devs. I'm not a fan the way nVidia pushes their "optimisations".
In the past AMD wouldn't even send any of their GPUs to devs to optimise their code, now, things have changed for sure.
I'm more concerned about Photoshops and Blenders of the world, since nVidia has great stuff on offer in these kind of apps. I want to see AMD involve themselves in similar fashion. I don't want devs chasing AMD for help, I want AMD proactively involving themselves with various projects.

Caporegime
The fact that AMD have RDNA in all the consoles will 'help' them, its not the silver bullet to Nvidia's 'developers incentive' war chest but it does mean that for games to run well on consoles they have to be optimised for AMD's architecture, AMD get that for free.

Again as with Intel its not just about making real money again, for R&D, its also about taking some of that revenue away from Nvidia, the more money AMD take out of their pockets the less they have for incentivising developers.

On that note look at CD Project, Nvidia are all over Cyberpunk 2077 and its nice with RTX and all that, but they made little to no attempt to optimise for consoles and with that has no RT, runs like absolute crap and has a reputation for it with lawsuits, refunds, being taken off the market for older consoles and already in the half price discount bin because its not selling anymore on the new ones.

If you want you games to be successful on console getting into bed with Nvidia is not a good idea.

Soldato
On that note look at CD Project, Nvidia are all over Cyberpunk 2077 and its nice with RTX and all that, but they made little to no attempt to optimise for consoles and with that has no RT, runs like absolute crap and has a reputation for it with lawsuits, refunds, being taken off the market for older consoles and already in the half price discount bin because its not selling anymore on the new ones.

You'd almost think it was deliberate, wouldn't you. And of course Nvidia are pushing the marketing on RT to the nth degree and even threatening to cut off reviewers who don't push it in reviews. Total coincidence I'm sure.

Caporegime
You'd almost think it was deliberate, wouldn't you. And of course Nvidia are pushing the marketing on RT and even threatening to cut off reviewers who don't push it in review to the utmost to their liking. Total coincidence I'm sure.

What, like Nvidia paid Digital Foundry, a previously console centric channel is suddenly all things PC Master Race, particularly anything involving Nvidia?

Soldato
For a moment, AMD is going the right way around the game devs. I'm not a fan the way nVidia pushes their "optimisations".
In the past AMD wouldn't even send any of their GPUs to devs to optimise their code, now, things have changed for sure.
I'm more concerned about Photoshops and Blenders of the world, since nVidia has great stuff on offer in these kind of apps. I want to see AMD involve themselves in similar fashion. I don't want devs chasing AMD for help, I want AMD proactively involving themselves with various projects.
FYI AMD pays for a developer to work with the blender foundation on projects that are beneficial for AMD. Currently he is working getting the RT accelerator for cycles to work on AMD cards. While not perfect AMD are now trying and I expect things to get better if hubris doesn't take hold.

Associate
FYI AMD pays for a developer to work with the blender foundation on projects that are beneficial for AMD. Currently he is working getting the RT accelerator for cycles to work on AMD cards. While not perfect AMD are now trying and I expect things to get better if hubris doesn't take hold.

I know they are trying, just getting into the habit, but still a lot of work needs to be done ;)

Back
Top Bottom