• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD on the road to recovery.

The news about a possible class action for the 14th gen CPUs might have something to do with it...
Actually I suspect not.

The mainstream media hasn't really picked up on that yet, nor AFAIK has any financial media.

Although ironically the announcement of extending the warranty (first of boxed and tray'ed followed by a quick recanting to only boxed...) probably will be noted by the financial press.

This was purely about losses, no more dividends, certainly no more share buybacks.

All this bad news is why Intel don't want to stand over their products whatsoever. Nevermind do any form of recall.

0.o

r8UJY1q.png

aPg4iij.gif

The cpu market really does feel like winner takes all. As consumers we hope for a 50-50 market that provides competition and low prices. But that's not how it's worked out; Intel spent years dominating at AMDs expense and now it's reversed with AMD dominating and Intel staring down the barrel. As consumers we are the losers in this struggle for power

The cpu market really does feel like winner takes all. As consumers we hope for a 50-50 market that provides competition and low prices. But that's not how it's worked out; Intel spent years dominating at AMDs expense and now it's reversed with AMD dominating and Intel staring down the barrel. As consumers we are the losers in this struggle for power
Except when its Nvidia vs AMD in which case its Nvidia go, go go! Right?

Tell that to all the AMD fanboys, the consistent bashing at every opportunity to drive the narrative for a negative outcome. What a lot of them don't realise is... when there's no competition, AMD will do what Intel did and just trod along at a snails pace and charge whatever they like for years to come.

Ofc die hard fans would still call that a win.

Competition is healthy and as a consumer we definitely need more of it especially now in the tech industry where one seems to dominate over the other.

The past 5 years the CPU market has been very strong even at the cutting edge. I don’t see that changing anytime soon. The discrete gaming GPU market has gone to the dogs.

Tell that to all the AMD fanboys, the consistent bashing at every opportunity to drive the narrative for a negative outcome. What a lot of them don't realise is... when there's no competition, AMD will do what Intel did and just trod along at a snails pace and charge whatever they like for years to come.

Competition is healthy and as a consumer we definitely need more of it especially now in the tech industry where one seems to dominate over the other.

Relax, Intel win by default and them setting alight a few million desktop chips isn’t going to change that.

Intel still comfortably dominate the GPU, CPU, DPU every market with ending in a U belongs to Intel. Intel has fully earned the nickname Wintel.

Right now Intels focus is dominating the semiconductor industry. Once that is achieved Intel share price will climb to dizzying new heights and the AMD, Nvidia, Qualcomm maybe even Apple bloodletting will recommence.

Last edited:
I chose my words carefully :D
very wise. some may be saddened by the loss of a monopoly ;)
after all, there could be life in the old dog yet. Intel has greased the slippery pole of US politics very well in previous years.
time will tell.

Relax, Intel win by default and them setting alight a few million desktop chips isn’t going to change that.

Intel still comfortably dominate the GPU, CPU, DPU every market with ending in a U belongs to Intel. Intel has fully earned the nickname Wintel.

Right now Intels focus is dominating the semiconductor industry. Once that is achieved Intel share price will climb to dizzying new heights and the AMD, Nvidia, Qualcomm maybe even Apple bloodletting will recommence.
really?
:eek:

"AMD will do what Intel did and just trod along at a snails pace and charge whatever they like for years to come"

Intel did it - so eveyone else will. Nah, I don't buy that. Maybe we will find out soon lol

very wise. some may be saddened by the loss of a monopoly ;)
after all, there could be life in the old dog yet. Intel has greased the slippery pole of US politics very well in previous years.
time will tell.

The monopoly remains. Outside of maybe a AMD and TSMC, Nvidia, GloFlo and Samsung merger, Intel remain number 1 in the semiconductor business. Even then Intel would still compete.

People seem to confuse AMD being light years ahead on technology front as AMD being ahead of Intel, but if you look past the technology lead it’s simply not the case. Not even close.

Sounds like sarcasm

At the end of the day, the most recent financial data shows AMD's revenue is growing at 20+% per year while Intel's revenue growth is negative

Whether it's AMD, Nvidia, TSMC etc - at the end of the day, in the current market these tech giants are all growing their revenue, yet Intel is going down, imagine how badly you have to screw up to go down in a market that's going up

Last edited:

AMD and Nvidia must pay for their admission into Intels market. How dare they steal double digit percentages from Intels pocket. The mechanism that allows this? TSMC. So Intel have decided to take on TSMC.

Last edited:
Sounds like sarcasm

At the end of the day, the most recent financial data shows AMD's revenue is growing at 20+% per year while Intel's revenue growth is negative

Whether it's AMD, Nvidia, TSMC etc - at the end of the day, in the current market these tech giants are all growing their revenue, yet Intel is going down, imagine how badly you have to screw up to go down in a market that's going up

You really could do with some sense of scale. Out of those three companies one is a giant and two are midgets.

The monopoly remains. Outside of maybe a AMD and TSMC, Nvidia, GloFlo and Samsung merger, Intel remain number 1 in the semiconductor business. Even then Intel would still compete.

People seem to confuse AMD being light years ahead on technology front as AMD being ahead of Intel, but if you look past the technology lead it’s simply not the case. Not even close.
I do not know what it takes for continuous healthy competition for consumers.

Given the chance, I am sure AMD will increase their prices - we already saw that with Zen3. So in that respect they are no better than any corporation.

However, we also know that given a chance Intel will increase prices and do as little as possible (but when you are on 80% marketshare, you do have to compete with own products of the previous year(s) so you have to offer something, plus OEMs need at least new model numbers each year...)

We can also speculate that if AMD had 80% of the market then they too might employ the dirty tricks Intel (and Nvidia) have used for year - its even easier for them since others already invented them!

However, while AMD are certainly no angels but until they have actually done all of Intel's dirty tricks I will give them benefit of doubt.

How much benefit?
  1. If the price/perf is better with AMD, I will obviously go with them.
  2. If price/perf is the same, then I would most likely still go with them.
  3. If their price/perf was worse, how much worse would it have to be for me to swap to the alternatives? Probably no more than 10% - but for me the dirty tricks of their competitors do get remembered.
  4. If a competing product offered better price/perf and yet was an obvious attempt to dump and then raise prices - well I would hope I'd spot that and take it into account.
Back to what is best for competition, well the ideal for two players is a 50/50 split. But better than that is that one of ARM players starts pushing into the desktop market including - this important but not very likely - DIY desktop as that would really keep AMD and Intel on their toes. A more limited ARM vendor push into gaming laptops or similar with a closed eco system (everyone want to emulate Apple's margins) would probably not keep the x86 players on their toes though.

Aside from the illegal stuff Intel did in the Athlon / Opteron days, one of the reason they bounced back was that they were big enough to have two CPUs teams. So while consumers might like a low a price as possible, I suspect the ideal as the companiens competing are big enough to afford the main R&D and second team.

For us consumers, a 3-way split like in the Socket 7 days would be ideal - well with Intel, AMD, Cyrix, and IDT we actually had a 4-way split then.

Last edited:
I do not know what takes for continuous healthy competition for consumers.

Given the chance, I am sure AMD will increase their prices - we already saw that with Zen3. So in that respect they are no better than any corporation.

However, we also know that given a chance Intel will increase prices and do as little as possible (but when you are on 80% marketshare, you do have to compete with own products of the previous year(s) so you have to offer something, plus OEMs need at least new model numbers each year...)

We can also speculate that if AMD had 80% of the market then they too might employ the dirty tricks Intel (and Nvidia) have used for year - its even easier for them since others already invented them!

However, while AMD are certainly no angels but until they have actually done all of Intel's dirty tricks I will give them benefit of doubt.

How much benefit?
  1. If the price/perf is better with AMD, I will obviously go with them.
  2. If price/perf is the same, then I would most likely still go with them.
  3. If their price/perf was worse, how much worse would it have to be for me to swap to the alternatives? Probably no more than 10% - but for me the dirty tricks of their competitors do get remembered.
  4. If a competing product offered better price/perf and yet was an obvious attempt to dump and then raise prices - well I would hope I'd spot that and take it into account.
Back to what is best for competition, well the ideal for two players is a 50/50 split. But better than that is that one of ARM players starts pushing into the desktop market including - this important but not very likely - DIY desktop as that would really keep AMD and Intel on their toes. A more limited ARM vendor push into gaming laptops or similar with a closed eco system (everyone want to emulate Apple's margins) would probably not keep the x86 players on their toes though.

Aside from the illegal stuff Intel did in the Athlon / Opteron days, one of the reason they bounced back was that they were big enough to have two CPUs teams. So while consumers might like a low a price as possible, I suspect the ideal as the companiens competing are big enough to afford the main R&D and second team. For us consumers, a 3-way split like in the Socket 7 days would be ideal - well with Intel, AMD, Cyrix, and IDT we actually had a 4-way split then.

AMD can’t charge too much for their parts as all that really achieves is to increase Intels market share and slow growth for AMD. Look at Nvidia they have been increasing price no end as mechanism to accumulate, but even after decades Nvidia have hardly made a dent in Intel monopoly. Nvidia have just grown the market for Intel to retake.

AMD can have the fastest, cheapest, bestest CPU, GPU, APU by a factor of three and Intel still wins with garbage. That’s not to say AMD wouldn’t have success but, it’s never going to be 50/50 market share between AMD and Intel. Not even close.

Back
Top Bottom