• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD on the road to recovery.

Soldato
Earnings date is today - but the share price drop so far is very significant - from $32 in the end of September to $23 today.
Humongous drop today, made worse by an across the board fall in stocks even before the earnings were released. Being let down by the GPU sales. Think it may bounce a bit once the initial panic is over, but the share price was high. Now down below $19 - yikes.

Soldato
Humongous drop today, made worse by an across the board fall in stocks even before the earnings were released. Being let down by the GPU sales. Think it may bounce a bit once the initial panic is over, but the share price was high. Now down below $19 - yikes.

Good opportunity to buy in on a nice drop like this, looking at short term investments (1-2 years) speculation would say that their server CPU market share is going to increase further than expected, and as such of the back of that I'd say $50+ was not out of the question by this time next year or even higher.

Soldato

Dosn't bother me, was looking and hoping they would drop below $20 at some point.....................bought just under £50,000 this afternoon....................in for the long run :D

Caporegime
OP
AMD plunges 22% on Q3 revenue miss, weak guidance; crypto revenue vanishes

So they missed their targets, however, they still made $102m after tax, which is really good. http://ir.amd.com/financial-information/quarterly-results

For those that don't know the difference between GAAP and Non-GAAP is basically GAAP is an industry standard of calculating profit and Non-GAAP is AMD's way of calculating profit.

So mixed news, Mining has dented their gross taking a little but they are still making a lot of money, this is money in their pockets, $102m of it.

uqdJHdh.png

Soldato
Dosn't bother me, was looking and hoping they would drop below $20 at some point.....................bought just under £50,000 this afternoon....................in for the long run :D

10 years? I don't think I could stomach long term in a market like this, I'd probably bottle it at 50-100% gains and leave some in as a free ride.

Soldato
How do I buy shares in AMD ? I’m a noob

I did it via my bank, Barclays. Not the first time i have bought via the bank, but the first time i've bought AMD shares. Like all shares though it's a gamble, i lost over £36,000 in TransManche Link in the 1980's (channel tunnel), so have been vary wary of putting large amounts into any one company since. AMD though is different, sub $20 is just a steal, so simply had to grab it while it's there.

Soldato
Buying in shares is buying investment in that company.
And any good investor has a nice wide, balanced and sensible portfolio.

Buying shares in 1 company because you think they are going to go up is just gambling pure and simple. Wouldn't recommend it. Shares must be bought with a completely unemotional head. Harder than it sounds. Hence why Warren Buffet is just so damn good at it. He can analyse an investment completely unemotionally. Every single person here has SOME level of emotional feeling towards AMD. And as such I wouldn't recommend buying shares in just AMD. It really is just gambling at that point. I have an investment portfolio and AMD are not on it. As much as I think their shares will go up, I would be buying emotionally. So I avoid it. In fact truth be told I don't know what all companies I am invested in. That's why you use an expert to do it for you as they are much better placed to chose them then I am.

Last edited:
Soldato
Buying in shares is buying investment in that company.
And any good investor has a nice wide, balanced and sensible portfolio.

Buying shares in 1 company because you think they are going to go up is just gambling pure and simple. Wouldn't recommend it. Shares must be bought with a completely unemotional head. Harder than it sounds. Hence why Warren Buffet is just so damn good at it. He can analyse an investment completely unemotionally. Every single person here has SOME level of emotional feeling towards AMD. And as such I wouldn't recommend buying shares in just AMD. It really is just gambling at that point. I have an investment portfolio and AMD are not on it. As much as I think their shares will go up, I would be buying emotionally. So I avoid it. In fact truth be told I don't know what all companies I am invested in. That's why you use an expert to do it for you as they are much better placed to chose them then I am.
I disagree about the emotional part. Just because we have an interest in something doesn't mean we have an emotional attachment. Depends how people are wired up I think. Top investors also state to invest in markets you know and understand well :) (ie, know and understand their products and services). I invested in AMD last year at a time when I was up to that point anti-AMD products :). I sold a chunk near the recent top. Buying was simply through analysis and seeing the potential. I also bought Nvidia shares at $18 for the same reason although I was a buyer of their products too of course and highly fond of their products. I'd have missed out on big profit if I hadn't of bought due to worrying about emotions.
Been a long term investor and trading without emotion gets easier with time. It's one thing I find funny about crypto speculation, so many are completely emotional about it all :D.

@easyrider I use a Stocks ISA personally - no tax to pay on profits. You may have to complete a form to enable trading on US markets which used to be done annually but not sure if I've done one for a while so they might have done away with it. It'#s only a one pager.

Last edited:
Soldato
Microsoft made record profits and their stock went down.LOL.
A strong market sell off will drag everything down. However, you're not looking at after session trading. Results are released after a session ends. So MS went down something like 5% during the session but after the results were released they've since recovered 3% or so.
Not relevant in this case but sometimes shares can go down on good news. One reason is as stated above(overall market conditions), another because the good news is already priced in and/or no buyers left :). AMD been hit hard due to overall market conditions(ie tech stocks hammered anyway), lacklustre performance in some areas (GPU)and a not so great expectation for the next quarter, and of course their share price had been driven a bit high without the results to back it.

Soldato
A strong market sell off will drag everything down. However, you're not looking at after session trading. Results are released after a session ends. So MS went down something like 5% during the session but after the results were released they've since recovered 3% or so.
Not relevant in this case but sometimes shares can go down on good news. One reason is as stated above(overall market conditions), another because the good news is already priced in and/or no buyers left :)

TBH,even Nvidia is down.

cRrEfgQ.png

It was at nearly $290 at one point a few weeks ago. Way too much speculation with tech stocks in general - either too high or too low. It must help short sellers a lot longterm.

Soldato
Interesting thing is it's not all too dissimilar to other bubbles. In this case we're had recently loads of upgrades on AMD stock from analysts, short interest has actually been quite low (I think) and the bulls have been roaring :) - prime time for a reversal (contrarian approach, be wary when sentiment too good). Even some long term bearish analysts recently turned bullish.
Great potential moving forward though I think. It still looks more of a correction to the recent rise that simply went way too far.
Same great potential for NV too I think.
I thought the chances of great results and a jump rather than drop were quite high. Got that wrong :).
Tech isn't going away so longer term tech stocks will always have good potential. Speculation comes from short term trading.

Last edited:
Associate
Just topped up a bit more of their shares. Missed the drop below $20, but oh well. Though kinda disappointed with AMDs inability to convert Intels shortages into their own benefit

Caporegime
OP
Just topped up a bit more of their shares. Missed the drop below $20, but oh well. Though kinda disappointed with AMDs inability to convert Intels shortages into their own benefit

Well, there is a lot of evidence that AMD are selling a lot more Retail CPUs than Intel right now.

For example.

Jl72TnH.png

AMD have made $270m pure profit in the last 6 months

Back
Top Bottom