• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Polaris architecture – GCN 4.0

Caporegime
so is this a dualchip or a big one die core?
anyhow this feature on a gpu is nice for all the online recording and displaying.

"the new display engine in Polaris. Which will enable gamers to record and stream 4K gameplay at 60 FPS with no performance cost."

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-flagship-polaris-spotted/#ixzz3zUWdFUdR

More interesting in full.

Raja also spoke briefly about the makeup of the new graphics architecture. Featuring a new geometry processor, a redesigned command processor and completely new 4th generation Graphics Core Next compute units – the main component of all modern AMD GPUs – with “a very high increase in performance”. He also spoke about the new multimedia cores and the new display engine in Polaris. Which will enable gamers to record and stream 4K gameplay at 60 FPS with no performance cost.

Associate
Not sure what you ask for, OLED support high refresh rates and low latency and adding HDR allows a more dynamic range of contrast and colors and light.

All supported by Polaris GPU from AMD.

So we're talking about OLED panels with high refresh rate support? Sounds good if true.

Associate
No use to me, would take me 12 months to upload a video at 4K :p Yay for "super-fast" (government speak) 17/0.8 broadband. /grumbles

Yeah its kinda meh, coming from Hungary where the 15/5 is about the smallest pack you can get, and you pay about £25-30 for a 200/100 connection for a month.

Associate
Will somebody ELI5 hdr monitors? Is it a new panel type named after high dynamic range? Will it support high refresh rates and low response times?

HDR is high dynamic range indeed.

Basically they have a much larger colour palette (a lot closer to the maximum the human eye can see), combined with higher max brightness and more gradiation in brightness.

So a good example (for the brightness) is a starfield with mostly black space in the background. HDR is meant to allow for the black to still be black, but the stars to be strong-white, so it's more realistic.

OLED will help hugely with this as well, since each pixel is its own light source, so it can show true black and maximum white as little as one pixel apart.

Associate
Yeah its kinda meh, coming from Hungary where the 15/5 is about the smallest pack you can get, and you pay about £25-30 for a 200/100 connection for a month.

That include line rental? Or is it just an excuse to squeeze more money out of us only here in the UK? I paid ~£27 for a good 50/10 connection, back when I lived in Bristol, which is supposed to have some of the fastest internet in the country (I didn't go for 100+ since I didn't need it). You guys have it good.

As for the monitor/resolution speak, just had a look at Steam user stats, the most common monitor resolution is 1080p at 35.11%, while only 1.34% of Steam users have 1440p monitors. 4k usage is at 0.07%, so overall the uptake of higher resolution monitors isn't too high. That said these are Steam statistics and they aren't necessarily fully representative of all PC gamers, but a good indication nonetheless.

I guess monitor resolution is like upgrading to an SSD. Before one uses higher resolution, they don't know what they are missing. But once one experiences it, they never want to go back.

It's got me wondering, is the relatively low purchase rate the reason why the good monitors are priced so high? One of the reasons I don't own a 1440p monitor is because the good ones (i.e. with G-sync/IPS/144Hz) are very costly at the moment. Other reason is that I'm waiting till I have a single GPU that can make the most of that 144Hz refresh limit at 1440p. Hopefully Polaris/Pascal will perform amazingly at higher resolutions.

Most folks (once again according to Steam survey) have 970/390 level cards at the moment, which are best 1080p. The most popular of the higher end cards is the 980 and even that doesn't beat out older/weaker cards like the 750ti/960 in terms of popularity (how many people use one). I guess I'm not alone in waiting for a better GPU before getting a better monitor.

Link to Steam survey if anyone is interested.

Associate
That include line rental? Or is it just an excuse to squeeze more money out of us only here in the UK? I paid ~£27 for a good 50/10 connection, back when I lived in Bristol, which is supposed to have some of the fastest internet in the country (I didn't go for 100+ since I didn't need it). You guys have it good.

As for the monitor/resolution speak, just had a look at Steam user stats, the most common monitor resolution is 1080p at 35.11%, while only 1.34% of Steam users have 1440p monitors. 4k usage is at 0.07%, so overall the uptake of higher resolution monitors isn't too high. That said these are Steam statistics and they aren't necessarily fully representative of all PC gamers, but a good indication nonetheless.

I guess monitor resolution is like upgrading to an SSD. Before one uses higher resolution, they don't know what they are missing. But once one experiences it, they never want to go back.

It's got me wondering, is the relatively low purchase rate the reason why the good monitors are priced so high? One of the reasons I don't own a 1440p monitor is because the good ones (i.e. with G-sync/IPS/144Hz) are very costly at the moment. Other reason is that I'm waiting till I have a single GPU that can make the most of that 144Hz refresh limit at 1440p. Hopefully Polaris/Pascal will perform amazingly at higher resolutions.

Most folks (once again according to Steam survey) have 970/390 level cards at the moment, which are best 1080p. The most popular of the higher end cards is the 980 and even that doesn't beat out older/weaker cards like the 750ti/960 in terms of popularity (how many people use one). I guess I'm not alone in waiting for a better GPU before getting a better monitor.

Link to Steam survey if anyone is interested.

Theres no such thing there as line rental, just a one time fee when they connect you. I just checked the prices for the hungarian upc fiber (2 year contract):
30/3 - £8.30
50/5 - £11.90
120/10 - £15.45
240/20 - £21.40
500/22 - £24

Caporegime
Theres no such thing there as line rental, just a one time fee when they connect you. I just checked the prices for the hungarian upc fiber (2 year contract):
30/3 - £8.30
50/5 - £11.90
120/10 - £15.45
240/20 - £21.40
500/22 - £24

Well, ****** me. I'm paying the equivalent (with line rental) of the 240/20 package, and getting 17/0.8.

The UK is sliding ever backwards under BT's monopoly careful stewardship. They'll still be telling us "nobody needs faster speeds" in 2050.

Caporegime
Well, ****** me. I'm paying the equivalent (with line rental) of the 240/20 package, and getting 17/0.8.

The UK is sliding ever backwards under BT's monopoly careful stewardship. They'll still be telling us "nobody needs faster speeds" in 2050.

Like everything else in this country public infrastructure exists for shareholders to line their pockets.

Never-mind upgrading any of it, Lord Mote wants a new Yacht so there's no money, can we have more?

Klo

Klo

Soldato

Using this, the UK per capita does on average earn around 1.5 the salary of Hungry per capita accounting for PPP, so you should times all those prices by 1.5 to make them roughly equivalent.

Still cheaper than UK though.

Soldato
Using this, the UK per capita does on average earn around 1.5 the salary of Hungry per capita accounting for PPP, so you should times all those prices by 1.5 to make them roughly equivalent.

Thank you.

And no doubt he's comparing the capital city of Hungary to some semi-incorporated town outside the M25 too.

Associate
Upload is brutal here, I get a dizzying 0.4Mbps :(
(8Mbps up)

This is the 5th place I've been in in Edinburgh where it's been on broadband speedchecker s having fast options but actually buying them has proved impossible. Makes me doubt the validity of the claims of x percent above y speed etc.

Associate
not sure about my up but download is about 4mbps. Quite saddened by the poor internet speed in my area and slow upturn. Even after that government initiative to get fast broadband around the country none of the big companies have been of any use. Just 1 mile or so away Virgin is available at around 100 mbps so I hope they come soon but it's currently been a slow wait.

Associate
I'm with Virgin 160Mbps down and 10mbps up. I surprisingly after a year of constant moaning I am getting the full speed 24/7. I always laugh when I go to Virgin Media forums and old tiers and hopefuls of the company and forum keep telling me that, hey it is ok, BT and Sky is also doing it. Talk about setting your bar way too low.

Caporegime

Still cheaper than UK though.

So I should still be getting 120/10 then, not 17/0.8. Point still stands.

Thank you.

And no doubt he's comparing the capital city of Hungary to some semi-incorporated town outside the M25 too.

What are you rabbiting on about? I can't make any sense of that.

Back
Top Bottom