• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Polaris architecture – GCN 4.0

Associate
Re: War Thunder ... I was going to start playing it, but then they announced a GameWorks partnership with NVIDIA ... shortly afterwards they released a patch which destroyed performance on AMD, completely removed CF (which worked perfectly previously), and also semi-broke SLI on NVIDIA. They haven't commented even once on it and it's been three months ... previously it was one of the biggest attractions for CF as performance scaling was pretty much 100%. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole now, especially as since this patch they've been bleeding users badly.

Soldato
Eww, just like others have said. Another useless effect like chromatic aberration, motion blur and depth of field. All of them disabled on first game load.

But a 32:9 curved monitor would be just right i reckon. would make a nice replacement for double and triple monitor gaming setups.

Wow, sense of humour failures all round tonight I see.

Caporegime

If effects Taiwan and specifically only one of their 300mm gigafabs. It has zero effect on Samsung/GloFo production which is in Korea/Germany/New York.

TSMC only has two fabs that are slated for 16nm, 12 and 14. 14 is the one effected and how much of an effect it has is unknown as I can't really find any information on which got 16nm first, what capacity is run at each and even then both fabs only have part of the floorspace dedicated to 16nm.

If Fab 14 was where the largest capacity was or was coming then it could have potentially significant delays, if Fab 14 is pretty small for 16nm and Fab 12 is where most of the capacity is coming online it would have a minimal effect. Can't find that level of detail anywhere but ultimately it's looking like if it has an effect it will have an effect on Nvidia and not AMD.

Associate
Should the medium Polaris out perform the current Fury X? If so what would you guys predict the pricing would be? As I will be plumping for one of these, if it is faster than a Fury X.

Soldato

Less than 1% or so affected.
No real delay.
Pascal is already late anyhow.

isnt that sort of true, since Nvidia will be 16nm?

14nm slightly different so not the same. 10% or so more dense etc..

Should the medium Polaris out perform the current Fury X? If so what would you guys predict the pricing would be? As I will be plumping for one of these, if it is faster than a Fury X.

If predictions holds up we are likely to see a comparable performance.
Pricing is a toss up, I would assume similiar to what todays card cost.
Pricing tends to be following the resolutions, 1080p, 1440p and 4k.
Up to 1440p there isnt much push needed as 4k is the real thing that needs more performance. We are likely to see a more power efficient line up from both camps. Nano shows a 175w furyx/980ti performance delta so next is a 120w performance delta or so for similiar performance as todays Nano.
Since AMD redesigned the GCN for both tesselation and other front end stuff its promising to expect a more balanced Polaris for various resolutions.

HDR adds a bit more and then Dx12/Vulkan/Mantle so the gameplan and field is changing over the next few years.
Games with newer engines comes out and new screens and what else.

Overall the biggest change to PC gaming is happening atm.
Thanks to AMD and Mantle.
HDR is a logical step forward for a better image and games visually.

Back
Top Bottom