• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Polaris architecture – GCN 4.0

bru

bru

Soldato
These are clearly low to mid level cards.

Interesting summery they come up with there.

Anyway this is what I came up with, just remember this is just a theory and nothing confirmed. Ah, in case you are wondering Weston, Banks and Baffin are all ‘Arctic Islands’.
AMD2016.jpg

Man of Honour
Yeah i think big Polaris will come later but i doubt they will refresh Hawaii again, even if Baffin as a much smaller GPU replaces the 380X.

I think they will just continue to sell the 390X and Fury X as they are, not rename them as VideoCardz suggest.

I can not see much point in renaming the 390X.

The Fury X on the other hand could have a lot more life in it if they could get it to run with HBM2.

Associate
Interesting summery they come up with there.

AMD2016.jpg

Looks like ******** / uninformed speculation to me. They even forgot to include Polaris 11. LOL. There definitely won't be a Hawaii gddr5x product and i very much doubt there will be one at all unless contract with TSMC necessitates it. 14nm FF chips of less than half the size and less complex PCBs due to lower power draw will have way higher margins. For same reason, a Fiji respin is quite unlikely imo, especially given HBM1 won't be worth it with hbm2 available.

Last edited:
Soldato
A Fury but less bottlenecked? :D

Not sure I using 4GB now and apart from Tomb Raider I not went over 4GB at 1440p

But for me upgrading a GPU is going one better it makes no sense for me to stick with 4GB one reason I didn't jump at the FuryX even though I was very close the nail in the coffin was the pump issues I wasn't taking a gamble.

I expect this time bigger, better and pump issue free :D

Soldato
Not sure I using 4GB now and apart from Tomb Raider I not went over 4GB at 1440p

But for me upgrading a GPU is going one better it makes no sense for me to stick with 4GB one reason I didn't jump at the FuryX even though I was very close the nail in the coffin was the pump issues I wasn't taking a gamble.

I expect this time bigger, better and pump issue free :D

I would like to think AMD are able to keep the TDP down to a level were they don't need a pump on anything else other then a dual chip cards.

The 14nm cards really ought to bring massive leaps in performance, Nvidia were able to crack out a ton of extra FPS with the move the Maxwell whilst keeping on the same process so AMD with effectively 2 and bit worth of node drops plus a new architecture (which they have had years to work on) really should bring some amazing numbers.

bru

bru

Soldato

You have got to love the very careful use of chilli's without any reference to the word 'hot', something that the new cards when they finally arrive shouldn't be.

If they are going to show Polaris again, as we would expect them too, where on earth is the FuryX2 going to fit in to the grand scheme of things.

I can see it now.

Here is our new super efficient, super small, all new Polaris chips, wow their great aren't they, oh don't look over there, that is the super hot, massive juice guzzling, twin Fiji card that we promised, many, many months ago and because it is using two Nano spec cores and needs water cooling to rein it in it isn't actually that quick either. Yours for an exasperatingly large amount of money because we are not a value brand. :D:p:D

Associate
You have got to love the very careful use of chilli's without any reference to the word 'hot', something that the new cards when they finally arrive shouldn't be.

If they are going to show Polaris again, as we would expect them too, where on earth is the FuryX2 going to fit in to the grand scheme of things.

I can see it now.

Here is our new super efficient, super small, all new Polaris chips, wow their great aren't they, oh don't look over there, that is the super hot, massive juice guzzling, twin Fiji card that we promised, many, many months ago and because it is using two Nano spec cores and needs water cooling to rein it in it isn't actually that quick either. Yours for an exasperatingly large amount of money because we are not a value brand. :D:p:D

Isn't the Fiji X2 basically two Nanos on the same PCB? That would make it pretty power efficient. Also the first Polaris gpus are going to be mid-range cards so they won't compete with the Fiji x2, which is probably aimed at VR enthusiasts.

bru

bru

Soldato
Yes it is power efficient if you leave it at stock and don't fiddle with the power settings, but unfortunately at those settings it throttles a lot and isn't really that fast, considering how fast it can be when you do fiddle with those settings. But of course when you do the power efficiency kinda goes out the window at that point, but it does fly by then, Bottom line you cannot have that sort of horsepower and that sort of efficiency together, not on 28nm anyway.

Associate
2 Nano at stock on 1 PCB is enough for its purpose though. It won't be necessary to squeeze 100mhz extra out the core when all you want is a dedicated gpu to display to each eye for VR.

bru

bru

Soldato
The point being, that two 596mm^ chips on 28nm this late in the day, are going to seem pretty archaic compared to all the new, tiny, super efficient, 14/16nm chips that are supposedly also going to be shown.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
it was same event he released the titan-x, pretty sure he did! i remember him looking sxy in his leather jacket

....maybe i daydreamed it

Back
Top Bottom