• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD prepares 12 core 24 Thread 5.1Ghz Mainstream CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
OP
Ryzen clock speed was held back by the processing node, not the architecture... as the slide below shows.

There is no reason why Ryzen 2 cannot clock 'like anyother CPU' IE 4.5Ghz to 5Ghz single core boost / all core overclock.

This is not the first time we have seen rumours that AMD are moving to a 6 core CCX, CanardPC got wind of a 48 core EPYC 2 and they are yet to be wrong on anything AMD, they were the ones who correctly predicted everything about Ryzen and all past AMD CPU's right back to the AthlonXP.

There is nothing unusual about 4.5Ghz all core clocks and 5Ghz overclocks, Intel's 10 core + CPU don't go to 5Ghz purely because they are very power hungry CPU's, far more power hungry than AMD's old FX CPU's, Ryzen 1 is already more efficient than SkyLake-X.

On the right the 7nm Node, not relevent here, but on the left AMD's current Ryzen 1 14nm LPP (3Ghz)

This one, i do believe it because its nothing out of the ordinary, Ryzen 1 is just very hampered.

IAVrGmq.png

Last edited:
Permabanned
If it is accurate, my word, I mean hey it still won't really dent Intel's market share.
Too many sheep in their flock, from their years of mass advertisement, and for sometime better performance.
But still; RIP Intel! ;3

Amen brother! :cool: ;)
I guess no one should miss Intel. We have AMD and they can take the control over the CPUs market.
The only thing is to not change their consumer-friendly policies. If they keep them, we will all be rather well :p

Associate
IF Ryzen 2 is even remotely close to the 5ghz clock speed :eek: [4,8 would still be incredible], then i'm gonna be so happy i didn't fall for 8700k. [still on 4770k at 4.5, so a 12 core ryzen 2 cpu at close to 5 Ghz and an even better ipc will be an insane upgrade for me] Hoping for a very Merry days in feb.

Associate
IF Ryzen 2 is even remotely close to the 5ghz clock speed :eek: [4,8 would still be incredible], then i'm gonna be so happy i didn't fall for 8700k. [still on 4770k at 4.5, so a 12 core ryzen 2 cpu at close to 5 Ghz and an even better ipc will be an insane upgrade for me] Hoping for a very Merry days in feb.
Indeed, I'm on a 4670k right now, but have been eager to try out some Zen architecture chips.
I'm doing a 1600X build for my friend right now actually, waiting for the AM4 bracket for the cooler to arrive, long tings..Hehe!
My i5 is unfortunately pretty bad, it wants more volts for the decent frequencies and being Haswell has terrible TIM too, so the temps are stupid.

Soldato
Guys after Vega promisses You belive any MAD upps AMD ********??? Im amazed lol

You get Hyped 2 easy ill see benchmarks then we can think...
It's probably just bait from Intel or Clickbait but even if the clock are just 4.5Ghz on 8 cores it's perfect, if it has 12 cores then it's GG for Intel.

Soldato
It does sound rather farfetched, but I've seen sources saying that Ryzen was a worse case scenario on the IPC, so anything is possible if that's true.
That sounds like a quote that's been reinterpreted 3 or 4 times to be completely changed from its original intent. AMD planned to get at least a 40% IPC gain from Excavator and managed 52% (I think that was their final official figure, obviously IPC is very application dependent so a single figure isn't that useful). I believe the original quote about Ryzen being a "worst case scenario" was because it was both a brand new architecture and a new process node, i.e. there are so many things that can go wrong, but there are also many areas where improvements can be made in future generations.

I'm pretty sure that's what was meant by the original quote, not that Ryzen was intentionally crippled or anything.

Soldato
Of course I’d buy this at that price. I’d be a fool not too.

But after Vega over promised and under delivered I’d rather wait and see what happens!

Permabanned
Of course I’d buy this at that price. I’d be a fool not too.

But after Vega over promised and under delivered I’d rather wait and see what happens!

Vega was a big slap in the face for AMD's loyals along with the rest of us so being wary is natural, we all are and after having a think about it I think the 5.1 ghz claim is fake, It's Intels current territory and wishful thinking for Ryzen which someone is playing on.
That said a chip capable of holding a 4.4 or 4.5 overclock would be great.

Permabanned
Yep, it makes zero sense. 8c/16t at 4.4-4.5 GHz is my expectation.

This is what I'm expecting will happen but I don't think it'll be that soon, more likely to be Q3 or Q4.

Why is this only gaining traction now? That slide has been doing the rounds for months now.

Someone else said it's been around for months as well, Have you got a source please?

Highly doubtful they will increase core count AND frequency at the same price as previous tiers, especially as that 12/24 rumoured chip would beast their Threadripper.

I expect as many do 8/16 still on a refresh to hit a base clock of 4.1 or so and OC to around 4.6, and to be perfectly honest that's all they need to hit imho, that extra .5 or .6 GHz will make a world of difference.

I'd be very happy with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom