• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD prepares 12 core 24 Thread 5.1Ghz Mainstream CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
12 cores with a single one hitting 5Ghz is maybe just about in the possible bracket. 12 cores all at 4.5Ghz is maybe doable.

Soldato
Your opinion is loltastic. Apart from building a games console for circa 2mp benchmarking, Ryzen is the only option in just about every situation.
Sorry I don’t recall giving an opinion only linking to some benches.

** comment removed ***

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Guys after Vega promisses You belive any MAD upps AMD ********??? Im amazed lol

You get Hyped 2 easy ill see benchmarks then we can think...

The majority of leaks for Vega were showing it to be crap. They were ignored.

We had early 3dmark score leaks (multiple runs being conducted by some benchmarker) coming in showing a consistent pattern that it would be GTX 1080 at best and GTX 1070 performance at worst. Guess what the end result was.

Associate
Oh what fun it must be to make up such rumors and see how people react. Some people would actually build their expectations sky high and when the reality hits they are left disappointed and not wanting to admit their expectations were too ambitious.

Soldato
I think an optimistic 15% uplift in clocks is possible, perhaps 10% IPC in certain scenarios from tweaks to Infinity Fabric. Ryzen is definitely limited by the 14mn process it's built on, it's clear from the 4.2GHz wall on even the best examples.

Associate
Why don't we all believe it's real, then in January we find out it is:

a) real, woohoo!
b) a fabrication, we laugh and then get on with our lives

All aboard the hype train. Why not eh?

Soldato
Why don't we all believe it's real, then in January we find out it is:

a) real, woohoo!
b) a fabrication, we laugh and then get on with our lives

All aboard the hype train. Why not eh?
Because that is not acceptable. No one is allowed to believe what others don't want them to believe. No one is allowed to have their own opinions, views, hopes, dreams or desires.

Joking aside. If amd come up trumps then yipee. If they don't, well the world keeps on turning and I still have to get up in the morning to go to work.

Caporegime
OP
I think an optimistic 15% uplift in clocks is possible, perhaps 10% IPC in certain scenarios from tweaks to Infinity Fabric. Ryzen is definitely limited by the 14mn process it's built on, it's clear from the 4.2GHz wall on even the best examples.

That would actually be pretty bloody good, the IPC difference between Coffeelake and Zen1 is less than 10%.

Edit: actually because AMD's SMT is better the IPC difference in fully MT tasks is 0, its only in single threaded tasks that Zen1 falls about 5 to 8% behind.

Caporegime
OP
With Zen1 being a brand new architecture and on a 3Ghz process node i do think there is significant room for improvement, where AMD lacks most is not IPC, as i said its a bit behind in low threaded tasks, its not a lot; its actually clock speeds, Intel are a full Ghz ahead in clock speed, that combined with the 5% or so low threading IPC difference is what puts Intel that 20% ahead in most games at 1080P or lower.

Low hanging fruit should get them a 5% IPC gain and on a proper processing node clocks should also be normalised with industry standard, 4.3 to 4.5Ghz on all cores out of the box and 4.7Ghz to 5Ghz overclocks would put the 1600X replacement just about on par with the 8700K, probably beat it in MT Cinebench.

And yes i think AMD did remarkably well to come from nowhere and get this close to Intel's best with the first iteration of the new architecture, Intel have been working on the Core architecture for a decade.

I'm looking forward to Zen2, hopefully early next year so i can swap my i5 out for one sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom