• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Just looked at the R9-290X version, it really seems like £80 more for a sometimes 5fps increase, bizarre. £300 seems too cheap for something trading blows with Titans, even if I am only playing at 1080p.

Just looked at the R9-290X version, it really seems like £80 more for a sometimes 5fps increase, bizarre. £300 seems too cheap for something trading blows with Titans, even if I am only playing at 1080p.

Check this out for a comparison which shows the performance difference between the two Tri-X version of the 290 and 290X.

http://youtu.be/Xy2NqJ3MeGY?t=4m9s

Hardly seems worth it. I'll wait until the last minute to get the GPU as it's the last part I install anyway and an offer might come up. I think the 290 tri (non OC) is the sensible choice here for me as it will give me performance i was accustomed to with the 780. I may drop the CPU for a 4690k as well tbh.

Ooh just seen the 290 Tri OC for £289.99 delivered..

Last edited:
I went from a 780Ti to a 290 Tri-x and cannot tell any noticeable difference in game at 1440p.

The Tri-x uses the reference board with a huge 3 fan cooler. I run mine at 1100 on the core and it barely reaches 75.c and remains very quite, almost too quite at times for a 290... :)

I can vouch for the Tri-X as well. Great card and overclock really well. Also running at 1440p and happily run BF4 on Ultra/2xAA/SSAO at pretty much always over 60/70fps (using Mantle of course).

I went from a 780Ti to a 290 Tri-x and cannot tell any noticeable difference in game at 1440p.

The Tri-x uses the reference board with a huge 3 fan cooler. I run mine at 1100 on the core and it barely reaches 75.c and remains very quite, almost too quite at times for a 290... :)

Quite =/= quiet

Great, think that pre-order offer for £289 is great especially as I'm in no rush to build this new rig.

Nice price.... :)

Here is a pic of mine installed with my nice new PSU as well. It's a big card but should fit most cases without issue. It overhangs the reference board by about 2" on the end.

Last edited:
I can but my typing skills are useless. I'm also Dyslexic so often muddle words up, Sometimes just for the fun of it.

:)

To be fair if I could ruin someone's day but swapping two letters around I'd do it all the time :rolleyes:

I'm not sure braided cables are worth the money but my PSU will be modular and I'll be minus an optical drive this time so one less cable at least.

Last edited:
I'm not sure braided cables are worth the money but my PSU will be modular and I'll be minus an optical drive this time so one less cable at least.

I had a cable extension kit with my old PSU as all the cables were multi coloured. Most new PSU's now they are all black so look ok anyway.

The Superflower is a great PSU I have only seen the fan spin up once since installing yesterday and that was for only a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom