• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

If I didnt care about destroying the card, I would try it. As above, I cannot afford to replace it if something happens.

Twist, and pull. TWIST, and pull... gently does it. Sometimes i find it best to hold the pcb and gently peel the end where the pci-e connectors are away from the shroud. Comes off easily then.

Will I need to replace the thermal pads after doing this?

Nope, just leave them where they are. A few might get stuck to the pcb but that's fine. You can either leave them there or place them back on the heatsink. They'll make contact again once you seal things back up. Long thin line method is best for the Hawaii shaped core imo.

If I didnt care about destroying the card, I would try it. As above, I cannot afford to replace it if something happens.

You'd have to do something momentously stupid to destroy the card taking off a cooler....

Did you get the message I sent?
No mate, send it again? Was it via trust or direct to my email?

Twist, and pull. TWIST, and pull... gently does it. Sometimes i find it best to hold the pcb and gently peel the end where the pci-e connectors are away from the shroud. Comes off easily then.

^ that, twist and pull. The stick pads are not sticky, not enough to glue a cooler inplace anyway.

Guys what you reckon a water cooled 290 will clock too with max voltage through it?

It can do 1.2Ghz on stock cooler with +100mv, when under water it'll be given +200mv

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom