• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Talking of PSU what do you reckon min I an get away with would be? I'm thinking 550 with a 290, 46/4790k and one or two HD.

550 easy, 650 to play safe, 750+ if you fancy adding another later. Make sure it has a nice strong 12v line and from a decent make. Be-quiet or Superflower is what I generally recommend.

My system at full load is pulling under 450w from the wall...

Was actually considering the Corsair AX760i because truth be told I've become a bit of a Corsair fan since having their cases and fans before.

Fair enough I'm not a big fan of Corsair PSU's mainly because the like of superflower offer better for cheaper but the 760i is a very good unit if not a bit overpriced.

Saw your picture in the Superflower thread. One thing I've just realized is the case I have chosen has a window instead of a 'normal' panel. This is actually really annoying because it's a pretty perfect case for me in terms of size and fan slots. I may have to go with the EVGA PSU instead as the LEDS would ruin it for me sadly (plus 10yr warranty not bad).

Saw your picture in the Superflower thread. One thing I've just realized is the case I have chosen has a window instead of a 'normal' panel. This is actually really annoying because it's a pretty perfect case for me in terms of size and fan slots. I may have to go with the EVGA PSU instead as the LEDS would ruin it for me sadly (plus 10yr warranty not bad).

My case has a window but it sits on the floor so I do not notice them. They are not bright just kind of glow white.

The EVGA supplies use Superflower as the OEM so pretty much the same thing anyway.

I've just tried to remove the reference cooler on my PC 290, as I wanted to change the TIM, but was unable to remove the heatsink due to the sticky pads on the VRMs.

I didn't want to apply too much pressure on removing the heatsink as I didnt want to dismount the VRMs rendering my £200 card useless - I also cannot replace it if something happens.

What would be the best way forward here? I don't mind leaving it, but would like to reduce the temps. Giving it a clean with an airduster has bought it down to 43c idle, but I want more!

Back
Top Bottom