• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Well it's only a corsair CX 500w so quality isn't all that great...

CX is budget, very budget.
If you're running stock, then yeah will be ample just don't clock it too hard. Not sure how the insides of the CX units have evolved, i know first gen CXs we're pretty decent inside considering the price whereas the M models started to skimp in a few areas.

1250MHz isnt enough? lol

Nope :cool:

Just need to find a piece of software that will allow me to give it up to 1.5v

Would the jump from a 7950 to a 290 be worth it for a single screen setup? And would my 500w psu be enough?

Should be, I run a 290 and 3770k off the little 450w Silverstone SFX PSU

But who's gonna run a 290 at 1300Mhz and only run a couple of 7950s at 960Mhz? Surely you'd be running them at closer to 1100Mhz or even 1200Mhz?

Is was just a comparison :rolleyes:

I have tripped my 850 Seasonic Gold X-series unit with very heavy volts/OCs on sig rig.

However if staying within the lines 450W quality unit is enough for a single GPU.

I'd of thought you needed more than 450. I'm constantly worried my 850 isn't enough for my crossfire

It depends on the unit in question mate. a lot of the decent low wattage PSUs are rated low, but output a lot more than quoted. Mine is a superflower 500w passive, it's rated for 500w but tests show it could easily make the 600w grade.

It's also down to how much you want to overclock your system, at stock systems use a **** less than you expect, if you're running for gaming then you need to account for your CPU being under utilised as well.

Not sure what mine uses @stock, might run a quick test actually. Overclocked though i'm easily pulling more than 600w from the wall.

Just been playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 with a 3770k at 4.5Ghz and a 290 at 1175Mhz core, 1575Mhz VRAM and it was pulled 480w from the wall at it's peak.

At 80% efficiency that's an actual power consumption of 384w

I have tripped my 850 Seasonic Gold X-series unit with very heavy volts/OCs on sig rig.

However if staying within the lines 450W quality unit is enough for a single GPU.

I imagine it tripped due to instability rather than overload.

I personally pay more attention to the current available on the rails rather than the wattage.

Back
Top Bottom