• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Quick Question, I'm streaming from 4OD and my 290 fan has ramped up to 40%. Should it be this high? Has been previously sitting at 10%.

Did you not change the paste on the cooler? Is the card actually getting hot, because i remember you saying you started to peel the cooler off the board but chickened out, did you replace the paste or just screw it down?

Did you not change the paste on the cooler? Is the card actually getting hot, because i remember you saying you started to peel the cooler off the board but chickened out, did you replace the paste or just screw it down?

lol if he actually screwed it down onto old TIM

Edit: IIRC the VRM pads wouldnt get loose, so the cooler got lifted off the core and the thermalpad is now ****. I thought this was common knowledge. <--- If this is the case take the cooler off COMPLETELY and replace TIM PROPERLY, clean the core with alcohol, sounds like you forgot a screw or something

Last edited:
Nice price.... :)

Here is a pic of mine installed with my nice new PSU as well. It's a big card but should fit most cases without issue. It overhangs the reference board by about 2" on the end.

How do you rate it for acoustics? Assuming my asus rma comes back with a credit note option I intend to snag either a tri-x or vapor-x. Hopefully going the corsair watercooled option when its available for the reference card with the vapour x or tri-x being aircooled since theyre quieter.

Last edited:
How do you rate it for acoustics? Assuming my asus rma comes back with a credit note option I intend to snag either a tri-x or vapor-x. Hopefully going the corsair watercooled option when its available for the reference card with the vapour x or tri-x being aircooled since theyre quieter.

Very quiet. My AF140 fans running at 900rpm are louder. :)

Last edited:
Good to know there's some good third party boards out there though, you'd think amd just would have went the same route they went with the 7990 and used a triple fan like sapphire, obviously its capable of taming the Hawaii core, wasn't the case on most 7990 cards that I seen.

Got a nice cheap little bundle of a 3570k + Mobo from MM as I really want to hop on the DDR4 bandwagon when it arrives. Now I have more for GPU. R9-290 Tri X(OC/no OC) seems fantastic but if you had extra to spend what would you opt for. Or is it really that good value there isn't any point?

going to trade in my ref 290 for a non ref 290, any thoughts on what the current best bang for buck 290 is?

They all seem much the same but I gather anything new and sub £300 is basically great for a 290 (non x). The Sapphire Tri X comes heavily recommended and after seeing benches the premium for a r290x isn't worth it at all.

Last edited:
Had a Tri-X and i was DOA :( blackscreen issue, couldnt get it running for more than 5mins without it dying, been using my 290 since then and for the past 5 weeks or so been using Xfire 280X just to see how different it is than a single gpu setup.

think i'll get a 290X, see if i can pickup a 290X - TriX or something :)

Had a Tri-X and i was DOA :( blackscreen issue, couldnt get it running for more than 5mins without it dying, been using my 290 since then and for the past 5 weeks or so been using Xfire 280X just to see how different it is than a single gpu setup.

think i'll get a 290X, see if i can pickup a 290X - TriX or something :)

get a ref card like a smart person

I don't think he's deaf so probably best not getting reference ;)

Sound is the only argument you got FOR custom cards? Why not get a ref card with a better cooler?

Edit: Actually IIRC the TriX IS ref. And you dont even think water cooling is an option?

Last edited:
I currently have the Ref 290 lol, my point is i want to upgrade from this to another similar card, i dont overclock, and dont want the hassle of a full loop WC setup, so the next best thing is a decent retail card

BTW, I am just keeping my MSI one, happy with the current temps etc. and I haven't had any problems either.

Should a problem arise in the future, I have ocuk and MSI's great customer service :)

Got the same card as you over the weekend. Temps hit 85/86 when playing Far Cry 3. Idles about 42 deg but must double check that.

Will run some tests tonight with BF4 and check the fan speed, seems pretty quiet so far though.

Btw, my serial number indicates it was manufactured in Feb (V308-XXX1402XXXXXX). What date do you have in your serial number?

Edit: Case is Fractal Define R4 with stock fans and middle HDD bays removed. CPU idles at ~30 degrees.

Last edited:
I don't think he's deaf so probably best not getting reference ;)
Not deaf before buying the card, deaf after using the card. The only reason to buy reference cooled cards is if you've got a block sitting there ;)

Sound is the only argument you got FOR custom cards? Why not get a ref card with a better cooler?

Edit: Actually IIRC the TriX IS ref. And you dont even think water cooling is an option?

Reference as in stock cooler, not ref PCB.

Watercooling is an option but I knew what he was after and thus a reference cooled card really isn't as "smart" as was suggested. I'd rather buy a non ref with a decent cooler in the first place though. Simples. Not everyone wants to faff around with pipes and pumps (plus the added expense) when a simple off the shelf option suits enough.

Judging by his winky smiley i think he's full of himself, and he probably thinks water cooling is advanced thus others must think the same so in his mind it probably isnt an option for the guy asking what card to get :rolleyes:

Edit: He probably thought he was being smart and/or original with that post but its quite the opposite lol

Cheer up, it might never happen. I'm not going to justify myself to a troll but if that's what you think then good for you :) It's a fact it's a noisy card on air. If you weren't so "full of yourself" then you might actually think before writing blanket statements like "smart people buy reference". Unless you are referring to the PCB as mentioned and not jet engine coolers for people who don't want to use "advanced" things such as water cooling setups a 10 year old could rig :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom