• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Soldato
Just installed the card and so far I'm very happy. I see no difference from the 290x other than for some reason it's a lot quieter ?

Happy so far but will have a better play later. The 780 is on the desk standing by just in case.. :)

Caporegime
Just installed the card and so far I'm very happy. I see no difference from the 290x other than for some reason it's a lot quieter ?

Happy so far but will have a better play later. The 780 is on the desk standing by just in case.. :)

Might be the bios switch. I think one is silent mode (977mhz stock core) and the other is performance mode, faster fan and a slightly faster core clock speed. (maybe 1040mhz?)

Soldato
Might be the bios switch. I think one is silent mode (977mhz stock core) and the other is performance mode, faster fan and a slightly faster core clock speed. (maybe 1040mhz?)

I think it's in position 1 on both cards. I though it was either UEFI or Legacy but I could be wrong ?

Soldato
Not 100% sure but i think Shankly mentioned something about a performance mode and slightly different clock speeds with the MSI 290 gaming cards. Can't remember off hand specifically.

Just found this seems it is Legacy and UEFi.

This little switch lets you switch between a UEFI-enabled BIOS and a legacy BIOS. Unlike the AMD reference design, there is no quiet and performance BIOS. Both BIOSes run the same clock speeds and fan settings.

It's very quite compared to the 290x even though they use the same cooler. Running heaven it hardly makes a noise.

Soldato
The MSI Gaming OC BIOS switch changes between UEFI and Legacy versions of the BIOS. There is no difference in speed.

I did find that the UEFI BIOS gave a black screen on boot if the onboard VGA was enabled, but that seems to have been fixed in a newer motherboard BIOS. I think UEFI is supposed to be faster for bootup and resume from sleep, but Legacy is more compatible.

Caporegime
Just found this seems it is Legacy and UEFi.

It's very quite compared to the 290x even though they use the same cooler. Running heaven it hardly makes a noise.

Hmm, that's odd. Maybe Shankly can clear it up.

EDIT

Maybe its something to do with the MSI APP that comes with the card.

The MSI Gaming OC BIOS switch changes between UEFI and Legacy versions of the BIOS. There is no difference in speed.

I did find that the UEFI BIOS gave a black screen on boot if the onboard VGA was enabled, but that seems to have been fixed in a newer motherboard BIOS. I think UEFI is supposed to be faster for bootup and resume from sleep, but Legacy is more compatible.

Furry muff. I wonder if thats the same on my reference vtx cards?

Soldato
Cheers matt :)

I saw a deal on the 290 and I couldn't refuse! £280... pretty sweet, especially considering I sold my 7970 for £200(still pending) :)

Soldato
Is that reference or AIB?

This one :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-239-MS

This is the 7970 I had

http://uk.msi.com/product/vga/R79702PMD3GD5OC.html

With

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cooling/34809-arctic-accelero-xtreme-7970-vga-cooler/

You can still get that 290 for around the price I paid. I would have bought it from ocuk but I couldn't see them price matching £50 difference... Also the free next day guaranteed delivery for free kind of sealed it for me.

Already checked if I could unlock the card, I can't :( Damn 801s!

Last edited:
Soldato
Caporegime
Yeah I saw a few people going for them but I've never owned a power colour. The MSI warranty is pretty nice so I was happy to settle with them :p

i have run this one for a year, almost to the day http://www.powercolor.com/us/products_features.asp?id=430

The cooler is not much good but is able to keep the card cool enough, the card its self is solid, runs 1200 / 1600 24/7, its never complained. its more reliable and stable than the Gigabyte 7870 WF i had before it.

They are an underdog brand but they do make very good solid GPU's, as good as any but without the premium brand price tag.

I don't know about the warranty, its probably not that good although there is no reason why it shouldn't be, i might have bought your MSI had i spotted it, as it is Gigabyte seem to have the best warranty, but i'm not impressed with the build quality of their cards TBH.

Soldato
Yeah I thought the warranty would be a bonus when I come to sell the card again, hopefully I won't have to rely on it. I fully expect to sell this card when the new GPUs are out at the end of the year/early next year.

It all just seems to be pot luck with the quality of card you get these days, no matter the manufacturer. I tend to focus on resale value and warranty is a part of that.
Saying that if the card is cheap enough I'm willing to try something like powercolour.

It is funny though, I bought an Asus r9 290x on release from ocuk. I couldn't get the damn thing to work. I realised I was buying something I just didn't need, so I returned it.
I now had the same issue with this 290, couldn't be coincidence so I investigated it a bit more. It turns out the new r9s just didn't want to work with my gigabyte z68 so I was forced to upgrade to z77 chipset, not too bad considering it only cost me £20 in total (these 2600ks rock still).

Soldato
Just noticed this on my new MSI 290. Backplate is bent up and what looks like chew marks on the heatsink above which is not touching the component its supposed too. Looks like someone has tried to bend the heatsink back down.

Back it goes...:(

Back
Top Bottom