• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Soldato
Shocking. Did the packaging look like it had been opened Moogs? Did you get it from OcuK?

Packaging all looked fine and nope not ocuk.

The silver metal bit has been bent up but is still not touching the component below. It looks like someone has noticed it at the factory and tried to pliar it together.

Soldato
Just running Heaven and the card at stock is hitting 85.c and throttling down the fan is staying under %40. Something is not right with this card so will give up and return and order another.

Soldato
Add me to the 290 club :)
Don't really game on my PC anymore but couldn't resist a reference Sapphire 290 with hynix chips for £230! (thanks to lewisstuart and his bulk 290 sale lol).

Tested it today with Crysis 3 and was surprised it wasn't as loud as I thought it would be! 40-60 FPS on everything high @ 2560x1080 was pretty good :)

Anyways - got an EK waterblock waiting here to go on to it - i'm surprised how big the 290 actually is! Also purchased the EK strengthening plate which arrived today with the backplate - think it's gunna need it looking at the length of the card lol.

Caporegime
Add me to the 290 club :)
Don't really game on my PC anymore but couldn't resist a reference Sapphire 290 with hynix chips for £230! (thanks to lewisstuart and his bulk 290 sale lol).

Tested it today with Crysis 3 and was surprised it wasn't as loud as I thought it would be! 40-60 FPS on everything high @ 2560x1080 was pretty good :)

Anyways - got an EK waterblock waiting here to go on to it - i'm surprised how big the 290 actually is! Also purchased the EK strengthening plate which arrived today with the backplate - think it's gunna need it looking at the length of the card lol.

Welcome to the club. Picture required for entry. :D

Soldato
Welcome to the club. Picture required for entry. :D

Ahaha - lucky I have a nasty habit of taking a pic of my PC everytime I open it :p

20140409_203119_zps6vcsia8l.jpg

Hopefully will get time to install the water gubbins this weekend

Soldato
too many stickers on the back of the PCB for my liking tbh! - Can't wait to get that EK backplate on it. Only prob I have is that the darn waterblock is a clear plexi/copper one so it might look a bit wierd! - hopefully the strengthening plate will cover most of it up :)

EDIT: Yup 540 case bud with 280mm Koolance at the top - hope it can handle the heat kicked out of the 290 and a 4960x too! :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
too many stickers on the back of the PCB for my liking tbh! - Can't wait to get that EK backplate on it. Only prob I have is that the darn waterblock is a clear plexi/copper one so it might look a bit wierd! - hopefully the strengthening plate will cover most of it up :)

True that. I didn't take mine off incase it voided the warranty somehow. Don't suppose it would though if you have the original box. At least it doesn't have warranty void stickers on the screws, so you can can change thermal paste or water cool.

Soldato
My plans for a 4K monitor have been dashed, so I've decided to take one of my 290s back :o I really don't need two for 1920x1080.

And good choice humbug, how you liking it?

Caporegime
My plans for a 4K monitor have been dashed, so I've decided to take one of my 290s back :o I really don't need two for 1920x1080.

And good choice humbug, how you liking it?

Oh what happened?

Did you try out Mantle first before sending one back, i hope so. You should still keep two imo. Will allow you to max everything out and have headroom should you upgrade at a a later date.

Its written next to GDD5; Elpida, have not attempted to overclock yet, but they seem fine :)

Interesting. Its rare to see Elpida memory overclocked at stock. Both of mine are Elpida and no problems here and both overclock well if i provide enough voltage. I think Elpida have the loosest timings though, then Hynix with Samsung having the tightest and fastest memory timings.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh what happened?

Did you try out Mantle first before sending one back, i hope so

I could afford it but due to investments I want to play it safe. At least until 4k 120Hz screens come out :p

Yep I did :) I hit the fps cap on BF4 a few times. Pretty ridiculous.

EDIT: mine is 1350Mhz Elpida also.

Back
Top Bottom