• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

I seem to have a bit of an issue with lines on screen. Had a quick go on BF4 and since quitting I get this in Windows. Is fine in Bios but even removing and re-installing the drivers I still get this ? I think it might be borked.. :mad:

Looks like a potential vram issue, but i suppose it could also be a connection issue. Can you try another connection ala display port or dual dvi?

Is this the card that arrived with the bent heatsink?

Had my new build for over a week now and decided to try overclocking my MSI R9 290 Gaming and without doing anything with the core voltage I got some minor artifacting at 1100. I rolled it back to my last known non artifacting core clock of 1080. I did also knock up the memory to 1350, from 1250, but the jump in performance (whilst testing with Valley and then Thief benchmark), was next to nothing.

Had my new build for over a week now and decided to try overclocking my MSI R9 290 Gaming and without doing anything with the core voltage I got some minor artifacting at 1100. I rolled it back to my last known non artifacting core clock of 1080. I did also knock up the memory to 1350, from 1250, but the jump in performance (whilst testing with Valley and then Thief benchmark), was next to nothing.

Artifacts means you need more core voltage. Try +0.006v or +0.012v.

Looks like a potential vram issue, but i suppose it could also be a connection issue. Can you try another connection ala display port or dual dvi?

Is this the card that arrived with the bent heatsink?

Yeah but tbh the pic makes it look a lot worse than it is. The VRM temps are all quite low as well. Everything now is working fine I just have lines as the pic above ?

Just typical I get a duff card when my new screen is arriving today. :(

Going to start a fresh and see what that brings.

Last edited:
Artifacts means you need more core voltage. Try +0.006v or +0.012v.

I've just enabled the core voltage function on Afterburner and it went straight to +25, it seems to run from 0 to 100 and not a direct voltage reading, so does this mean that enabling it the voltage went up from stock or is this +25 where the voltage sits at stock but now enabled is showing the result?

I've just enabled the core voltage function on Afterburner and it went straight to +25, it seems to run from 0 to 100 and not a direct voltage reading, so does this mean that enabling it the voltage went up from stock or is this +25 where the voltage sits at stock but now enabled is showing the result?

Stock should typically be 0, but it may be that your bios has it set at that. Or it may be afterburner setting it at +25v. Experiment. :)

What Greg said. Using it can help you get a bit more stability on the core and memory when used in conjunction with core voltage. Memory voltage is tied into core voltage with Hawaii. So if you want to overclock the memory further, add more core voltage. For your gaming needs 1350 will be plenty.

Thanks Matt, i managed to bench at 1450 Mem, as i put it to 1500 i got lines coming off the explorer window in desktop. putting it back to 1450 it was ok again.

have you seen that before?

Thanks Matt, i managed to bench at 1450 Mem, as i put it to 1500 i got lines coming off the explorer window in desktop. putting it back to 1450 it was ok again.

have you seen that before?

Likely means the memory is unstable at that clock, or you have not supplied enough core voltage for the memory to be stable at that clock.

Likely means the memory is unstable at that clock, or you have not supplied enough core voltage for the memory to be stable at that clock.

I think 1450 is high enough anyway, because of the 512Bit Bus it make no difference to benchmark scores, adding the 100Mhz on the Memory resulted in +6 points in Valley, it wasn't much in 3DMark / 3DMark11 either.

I have discovered a Black Screen, when i unlocked the voltage on MSI AB it had the +50mv already on the core, so i though "oh?" and turned it down, hit apply, Black Screen :D i had to go into Safe Mode to unistall MSI as it was loading up those volts and Black Screened everytime i rebooted.

I think 1450 is high enough anyway, because of the 512Bit Bus it make no difference to benchmark scores, adding the 100Mhz on the Memory resulted in +6 points in Valley, it wasn't much in 3DMark / 3DMark11 either.

I have discovered a Black Screen, when i unlocked the voltage on MSI AB it had the +50mv already on the core, so i though "oh?" and turned it down, hit apply, Black Screen :D i had to go into Safe Mode to unistall MSI as it was loading up those volts and Black Screened everytime i rebooted.

Yes its because your stock memory is 1350. If you had memory at 1250 you could lower the core voltage to 0, or even use minus numbers like i do. I run 1000/1250 at -0.037v and -0.100 AUX voltage.

After some playing around with settings I managed to get to 1130 on the core clock and +100, highest setting, on the core voltage. If I went to 1140 I got some artifacting. The GPU temp went from low 70's at stock to low 80's at 1130 & +100.

I decided to go back to 1100 and +50 so I get a 5 fps increase on Valley and temps in the high 70's. The memory I have left with a 100mhz increase over stock so it's at 1350. I'm happy with these numbers.

Yeah when I set the mV to +0 on one of my cards I start getting artifacts. My other card handles it fine though.

Back
Top Bottom