• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Caporegime
Cheers Matt! :)

I am quite happy with my 290X for less than a GTX770....

EDIT: quick taster of some 1080p benches (I won't bother with 3DMark11 as it scored 8,510.. :o) in Thief (max settings per bench thread).

DX11 - 34.2 FPS

Mantle - 59.6 FPS

Reasonable boost I think.....

And you're using an Athlon 760k? I'm going to be honest ive never heard of that cpu but it sounds very weak?

Soldato
And you're using an Athlon 760k? I'm going to be honest ive never heard of that cpu but it sounds very weak?

Yes it is essentially a A10-6800K without a iGPU (albeit costing £50). It is currently clocked at 4.4Ghz on all four cores thus performs similarly to a FX4300.

For 1080p it will hold the 290 back almost comically. However at 5888x1080, well that's what I am going to find out.

It's somewhat of a win win. If it does hold it back massively I will have an opening to upgrade, if not then I will have great performance. :D

Caporegime
Yes it is essentially a A10-6800K without a iGPU (albeit costing £50). It is currently clocked at 4.4Ghz on all four cores thus performs similarly to a FX4300.

For 1080p it will hold the 290 back almost comically. However at 5888x1080, well that's what I am going to find out.

It's somewhat of a win win. If it does hold it back massively I will have an opening to upgrade, if not then I will have great performance. :D

Mantle seems to offer nice performance for you if that Thief benchmark is anything to go by.

Soldato
Mantle seems to offer nice performance for you if that Thief benchmark is anything to go by.

Massive improvement just as you say.

Just did a quick Eyefinity bench on BF3 at ultra settings, average seemed to be around 60FPS which is slightly higher than a stock GTX 780 coupled with a 3770K running at 4.4Ghz. Minimums appeared much stronger on the 290 as well.
Afterburner was reporting GPU utilisation at 99-100% for the majority of the run.

Not bad for a £50 processor. :)

Caporegime
Massive improvement just as you say.

Just did a quick Eyefinity bench on BF3 at ultra settings, average seemed to be around 60FPS which is slightly higher than a stock GTX 780 coupled with a 3770K running at 4.4Ghz. Minimums appeared much stronger on the 290 as well.
Afterburner was reporting GPU utilisation at 99-100% for the majority of the run.

Not bad for a £50 processor. :)

Nice. Was that on Mantle or DX?

Soldato
Nice. Was that on Mantle or DX?

BF3 so DX11. I don't own BF4 (Well not on PC anyway) so can't test the benefits of Mantle there.

I will be including Thief in my 290 Eyefinity review so I can see what sort of benefit Mantle is providing in a generally GPU bound scenario.

EDIT: Ta Tonester. This is my little den / man cave so to speak.

Soldato

I feel a little better knowing I'm not alone. If I push my mem to 1400 I black screen in benchmarks, I had it on 1375 but then I black screened randomly watching a youtube video. 1350 seems stable though. I lose a little extra performance as well because it doesn't fit in my pcie 16x slot, so it's running at x8.

Soldato
I think that's about an average overclock for the core, but yeah you got naff memory. It barely affects performance anyway though.
Why doesn't it fit?

I have an ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV on my 290 and a Noctua NH-D14 on my CPU. I thought it would be ok, but the back plate heatsink on the 290 is just a few mm too tall.

Back
Top Bottom