• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Soldato
Assuming they are reference and you are running the "auto" fan profile they will run at up to 94 degrees (and throttle depending on load) to keep the noise in check.

Yeah both reference.
I've heard they're supposed to be very loud even at 94C though, but that isn't the case. They're about the same noise as my OC'd 780 Ti.

Associate
Last night I posted that my new/second hand Asus reference 290 was running at 94 degrees at about 60% fan speed on afterburner and asked here if it was worth re-applying some decent thermal paste to the cooler. So that is what I have just done. I took off the heat sink and the thermal paste was just a thick wad of what seemed to have the consistency of grey plastacine. There was far too much. I cleaned it all off using some 2 part arctic cooling thermal paste removal liquid and the actual copper of the heat sink that touches the GPU is a bit shoddy as it just doesn't even look flat and seems very scratched. But, I applied I thin covering of MX-2 to the GPU and carefully put it back together I have just run Planetside 2, which is what I was playing last night when it got to 94 degrees and tonight it has reached 76 degrees with the fan hitting 53%. Ambient temp is certainly a bit lower tonight but not that much. Just goes to show how bad that thermal paste and the application method is that AMD use.

Soldato
Last night I posted that my new/second hand Asus reference 290 was running at 94 degrees at about 60% fan speed on afterburner and asked here if it was worth re-applying some decent thermal paste to the cooler. So that is what I have just done. I took off the heat sink and the thermal paste was just a thick wad of what seemed to have the consistency of grey plastacine. There was far too much. I cleaned it all off using some 2 part arctic cooling thermal paste removal liquid and the actual copper of the heat sink that touches the GPU is a bit shoddy as it just doesn't even look flat and seems very scratched. But, I applied I thin covering of MX-2 to the GPU and carefully put it back together I have just run Planetside 2, which is what I was playing last night when it got to 94 degrees and tonight it has reached 76 degrees with the fan hitting 53%. Ambient temp is certainly a bit lower tonight but not that much. Just goes to show how bad that thermal paste and the application method is that AMD use.
That's a pretty huge difference. Might look into doing that with mine.

Associate
I should have taken a picture of the 'gunk' on the GPU as it was pretty bad but my phone does not want to save any pictures for some reason. I did put just the thinnest smear of paste on. I have arctic silver 5 and MX-2 and opted for MX-2 as my AS5 seems to have gone a bit watery. My warranty is now void as I destroyed the little sticker on the heat sink screw but the card is second hand anyway

Caporegime

Id put money on it being the same on my 7990, seen some pics of people taking the heatsink off and being confronted with the same grey plasticine looking crap you describe. I found one review claiming the 7990 has the same "phase changing" stuff as the 6990 but considering that card ran into the 90's obviously it didn't do much despite amd's claims of it being 10c cooler with it.

Wouldn't at all surprise me if its the same stuff on the r290.

Soldato

No different than what mine was like, the VRM covering wasn't a pad either it was thick and took ages to clean off.

Caporegime
I should have taken a picture of the 'gunk' on the GPU as it was pretty bad but my phone does not want to save any pictures for some reason. I did put just the thinnest smear of paste on. I have arctic silver 5 and MX-2 and opted for MX-2 as my AS5 seems to have gone a bit watery. My warranty is now void as I destroyed the little sticker on the heat sink screw but the card is second hand anyway

Be very careful with Arctic Silver 5, it has silver dust in the paste, it has been known to be conductive.

Soldato
Yeah both reference.
I've heard they're supposed to be very loud even at 94C though, but that isn't the case. They're about the same noise as my OC'd 780 Ti.

Based on my own testing I would say anything up to 50% is acceptable. Noticable above my other case fans (Define R3) but not intrusive. 50-60% is tolerable but getting to the point where I would be annoyed without headphones. Above 60% is too loud in my opinion and the less said about 80-90% the better.

Caporegime
Yeah both reference.

Don't let Broomstick hear you say that. Pun intended.

Will post a pic of my new cards tomorrow.

VROajTG.png

Based on my own testing I would say anything up to 50% is acceptable. Noticable above my other case fans (Define R3) but not intrusive. 50-60% is tolerable but getting to the point where I would be annoyed without headphones. Above 60% is too loud in my opinion and the less said about 80-90% the better.

Agree. I actually don't even mind up to 55%, but 60% and onwards is loud!

Back
Top Bottom