• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

I can't remember who said it, but I agree with them. I can actually hear my GPUs at idle.
I've enabled ULPS so it's not too bad, but I can still hear the top card. Hm.

20140521_203624_zpsf91efe4d.jpg

Last edited:
I can't remember who said it, but I agree with them. I can actually hear my GPUs at idle.

Might have been me, i was moaning that even at idle they were noisy so took the card off my bench till my blocks turned up. My card also suffers some pretty 'meh' whine :(

Hopefully my second (what will be primary card soon) is silent (no whine)

20140521_203624_zpsf91efe4d.jpg

Might have been me (as I said in the other thread, got a bit confused why it was brought up).
LtMatt was having a go at me and my hearing saying that they were silent at 20% fan. I remembered them being worse at idle than they were when I tried them again. Still don't think I'd call them silent, but as long as I don't game on them they're not really that noticeable.

I have waterblocks for them, I'm just missing a few other components before I can put my loop together. Still I'm 1 for 2 when it comes to killing gpus when attaching waterblocks...

Might have been me (as I said in the other thread, got a bit confused why it was brought up).
LtMatt was having a go at me and my hearing saying that they were silent at 20% fan. I remembered them being worse at idle than they were when I tried them again. Still don't think I'd call them silent, but as long as I don't game on them they're not really that noticeable.

I have waterblocks for them, I'm just missing a few other components before I can put my loop together. Still I'm 1 for 2 when it comes to killing gpus when attaching waterblocks...

I wouldn't mind watercooling these but I've never done it before. It sounds like a lot of hassle.
I'm also 1 for 2 when it comes to killing gpus, though mine was air coolers :D

I have been thinking about asking the admins to add google spreadsheet embedding so threads like this can be managed better.

How do I go about that?

Hi guys,

Just used my new Asus 290 DCUII today for the first time, and monitored temps in AB whilst playing a game and it peaked at 86c with a fan speed of 50% odd, does that sound about right?

Sounds about right. I think from memory (read a review of the card months back) that the Asus card is on bios switch 1 which is a quiet/silent fan profile, so yes temps will be a bit higher. Unless you manually create a profile yourself, using afterburner for example. If you flick it to switch 2 it uses a slightly more aggressive fan profile, i think.

No that doesn't look right...

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/03/03/asus-radeon-r9-290-directcu-ii-oc-review/8

50c in Valley according to that ^^^

Is the cooler properly seated?

Really panicked there for a second, it says the 50c temp is a Delta temp above ambient, so I guess it could be about 70c if the ambient was 20c?

Still less than my 86c? Also depends on their cooling setup I guess?

The cooler looks to be seated correctly? I'll download Valley and give it a go now.

Back
Top Bottom