• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Mobster
Soldato
Way too simplistic

Lob some decent Samsung VRAM into the equation that has better timings and can clock higher without running into error correction problems.

Even if you can clock your memory at 1775 this may be slower than using a lower speed where there is no error correction.

Also with the Samsung memory clock for clock it will be faster than other types of memory due to better timings.

Im aware that timings play a role.

Caporegime
I think the higher Memory bandwidth helps more at higher res like Multi display and 4K than standard res.

I don't think 320Gb's vs 420Gb's has any effect on 1080P or even 1440P. which matters for an increasing number of people. :)

Soldato
Now I don't claim to know much about this, but surely when talking bandwidth it's about more than just the memory, it's also taking into consideration the memory controller or whatever?

I'm running quad channel RAM @ 1866MHz in my RIVE, so bandwidth should be about double that or a board with dual channel RAM. But that doesn't mean that my 1866MHz RAM is faster than 2400MHz RAM does it? Not the actual RAM itself, bu the config/setup it's used in allows for more bandwidth and greater performance.

As I say, not really my area, so may have gotten that wrong, plus it's also arguing over semantics to a degree.

Mobster
Soldato
Now I don't claim to know much about this, but surely when talking bandwidth it's about more than just the memory, it's also taking into consideration the memory controller or whatever?

I'm running quad channel RAM @ 1866MHz in my RIVE, so bandwidth should be about double that or a board with dual channel RAM. But that doesn't mean that my 1866MHz RAM is faster than 2400MHz RAM does it? Not the actual RAM itself, bu the config/setup it's used in allows for more bandwidth and greater performance.

As I say, not really my area, so may have gotten that wrong, plus it's also arguing over semantics to a degree.

Its faster in terms of bandwidth, but some applications might like tight timings over bandwidth.

Soldato
Its faster in terms of bandwidth, but some applications might like tight timings over bandwidth.

It's faster to read/write, bandwidth. The ram speed is irreverent without context of the bus width, as 2000mhz ram on 384/256 bus will not be as fast as 'slower' 1750mhz ram on a 512bit bus.

Like googaly said, its arguing over semantics and a waste of time, i'm just pulling your todger as Matt told me you like it.

With all things being equal, then memory type come into play, look at the KPE 780ti, slower ram to a degree but better results clock for clock (was used because worked best in the cold, but still)

Mobster
Soldato
Hawaii bios has straps, timing straps. It will increase timings as you increase the RAM clock to maintain a certain latency (higher bandwidth = lower latencies). This is to keep it from crashing and maintain stability .

Its so close to irrelevant that i dont even know why you brought it up Kaap.

Back
Top Bottom