• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Man of Honour
Hawaii bios has straps, timing straps. It will increase timings as you increase the RAM clock to maintain a certain latency (higher bandwidth = lower latencies). This is to keep it from crashing and maintain stability .

Its so close to irrelevant that i dont even know why you brought it up Kaap.

Because it can make a significant difference

Compare an ordinary 290X to the MSI Lightning at the same clockspeeds and you get a noticable difference in performance.

The same goes for comparing an EVGA 780ti Classified against a Kingpin edition.

Mobster
Soldato
Because it can make a significant difference

Compare an ordinary 290X to the MSI Lightning at the same clockspeeds and you get a noticable difference in performance.

The same goes for comparing an EVGA 780ti Classified against a Kingpin edition.

no **** bro.

Never, ever in this conversations did we compare 2 cards, one of which that are made specifically for benching. All i said was that faster RAM will give you a performance increase, but for some reason Tonester likes to be annoying.

You cant compare a lightnings RAM to my ref cards RAM because latency is lower. Comparing even ASUS ref to Sapphire ref RAM cant be done because the timings are different (But you could just flash so i guess it doesnt matter).

Now comparing a card to itself with higher and lower RAM works, and higher WILL give you performance increase unless you run into corrections which was the point all along.

Tonester said:
Faster ram doesn't = more bandwidth. More bandwidth doesn't = faster ram. Bandwidth is the combination of ram and bus.

then you appeared and said "its not that simple you've got timings and correction".

1. Correction isnt something you can do anything about other than to feed more volts or clock less.

2. Timings will change based on the bios, which can be flashed on various cards except for stupid cards like the Matrix and Lightning (Lightning has tight latencies which is why its better.) More MHz = More Bandwidth = More performance.

RAM Clocks DIRECTLY affect performance for the better unless its unstable, and this is against everything Tonester has said in the quote above.

Jesus christ can we change topic now? Or you pulling my leg as well?

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh brainfart. Thanks for pointing it out.

sorry :)

:) was only meant in light hearted manner :)

still liking my 290 - performance is pretty epic really

slightly bit of coil whine at idle (all the time - might even be one of the fans) - but its barely audible

overall a very impressive card

would have preferred to stay Nvidia for this round but the 290s - especially overclocked are very hard to ignore performance for the money

Mobster
Soldato
sorry :)

:) was only meant in light hearted manner :)

still liking my 290 - performance is pretty epic really

slightly bit of coil whine at idle (all the time - might even be one of the fans) - but its barely audible

overall a very impressive card

would have preferred to stay Nvidia for this round but the 290s - especially overclocked are very hard to ignore performance for the money

Both brands are good.

Soldato
seems like Fire Strike is the real key one to get stable - far harder than Valley

currently this card likes

150mv - 1200/6000 - nice - although VRMs a bit hot

or 50mV - 1140/5800

b54.png

Caporegime
Just tried both my cards separately. Neither of them can get over 1.2Ghz on the core, they artifact. One has slightly better memory though.

I think 1200Mhz is probably pretty good, 1225 is the limit for mine and you know it has good VRM cooling. i don't know how Rangerjr1 managed to get all? his to 1300Mhz, but i'm going to hazard a guess that it wasn't with +200mv :p

seems like Fire Strike is the real key one to get stable - far harder than Valley

currently this card likes

150mv - 1200/6000 - nice - although VRMs a bit hot

or 50mV - 1140/5800

b54.png

So welcome to the 1200Mhz 290 club. :D

Back
Top Bottom