• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

I've been getting this issue with the 290 Pro since I've changed from the 780 where my monitor won't wake from sleep correctly (This is the monitor in sleep not the system). It wakes and appears to be getting a signal, but it is only displaying a black screen. I'm using the latest beta drivers and have only had this issue since having the card.

Any ideas? :)

I've been getting this issue with the 290 Pro since I've changed from the 780 where my monitor won't wake from sleep correctly (This is the monitor in sleep not the system). It wakes and appears to be getting a signal, but it is only displaying a black screen. I'm using the latest beta drivers and have only had this issue since having the card.

Using Display port ?

Yes it happens to me sometimes, but not all the times. It's an issue which is under investigation. The temp solution, for me at least, is to turn your monitor off then on again and move the mouse and it picks up the signal. Or just stop the monitor from turning off...

Yes it happens to me sometimes, but not all the times. It's an issue which is under investigation. The temp solution, for me at least, is to turn your monitor off then on again and move the mouse and it picks up the signal. Or just stop the monitor from turning off...

Ah at least I'm not the only one then!

No big deal, as I've just turned it off as you say. Works fine when the entire system wakes from sleep.

Cheers ;)

Just put a secondhand Sapphire 290 in my pc, slapped a heatkiller w/b on and am well impressed with it so far, it plays everything nice at 1440p

Only thing I have found to be annoying and might even be unrelated it that now my pc seems to wake up all by itself from sleep mode. I have unticked all the network traffic options on waking pc up so it's not that.

Anyone got any idea?

Fitted my Sapphire 290 Vapor-X OC yesterday and it's fantastic. Cool looking card that's really quiet and performs really well :D

+1

I've got mine clocked to 1100 core and 1550 memory stable. Not seen temps go past 74c so far :)

I think the core on my card might go a little further but the memory is about there. What clocks have you managed?

+1

I've got mine clocked to 1100 core and 1550 memory stable. Not seen temps go past 74c so far :)

I think the core on my card might go a little further but the memory is about there. What clocks have you managed?

Nice :)

I've not overclocked it yet so it's running at the pre-overclocked speeds still. It's handling all the games I throw at it so not felt the need to overclock it. The most strenuous game I have is Planetside 2 and it handles it no problem on ultra graphics settings now :D

Last edited:
Any word from MSI yet moogleys? :)

I think I might just keep mine as I haven't had any problems so far..... ONly one blue screen, but I am not sure if that was because of the GPU or the poorly optimised wolfenstein game :p

Hopefully my temps will drop by a bit more once I get 2x140mm fans at the top and 2 better 120mm fans at the front of my case + a cooler running CPU.

Any word from MSI yet moogleys? :)

I think I might just keep mine as I haven't had any problems so far..... ONly one blue screen, but I am not sure if that was because of the GPU or the poorly optimised wolfenstein game :p

Hopefully my temps will drop by a bit more once I get 2x140mm fans at the top and 2 better 120mm fans at the front of my case + a cooler running CPU.

Nope nothing it is going back today. To me it may run ok but the fact there are parts that should be getting cooled and not is unacceptable and just shows poor build and quality control.

I have a Sapphire Tri-x arriving today so hopefully that will be ok.

Cool, look forward to hearing your thoughts on it! :)

Does look like a really nice cooler and I actually think it would fit in my case just about.....

I do agree with you and your points on the MSI card., I think it is only my VRM chip near the PCI 8 pin connection that isn't making full contact with the pad. So unless I am getting stupidly hot temps and/or blue screens etc. then I think I should be ok....

It is certainly a decent bit cooler today though!

J5JsI6R.png

I've not overclocked mine yet but I might give it a try in few days. I'm getting 72C on stock settings with 80% fan. Did you have fan running at 100%?

I think my fan speed tops out at about 65% at 74c. I do have my case near a window though which probably helps. Also I've got all my case fans going full chat.

Back
Top Bottom