• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Unfortunately there are only two reviews for this card, kitguru and overclock3d.net.

Kitguru;

idle temps - 32
load temps - 78
furmark - 85

overclock3dnet;

minimum temp - 34
max temp - 84

I think the load temps are fine as you said but it is concerning how my idle temps are rather high and don't drop by much at all when the fan speed is increased from 18 to 80%.

Your temps are fine. The problem is components that should be cooled are not making contact as they should. I doubt this will have any impact on overall core or vrm temps.

Have you checked the ram module by the pci-e slot ?

My card idles at 45 degrees currently and my room isn't too bad temp wise atm so it could probably drop to 40 in cooler weather.

for games, it hits 85 degrees, in cooler weather, it would probably hit 80......

Going to jump on another game for 30 mins to see temps etc.

Ok thanks.

Will have a proper look tomorrow and try to get some more photos posted.

I would imagine that this could be considered as a fault thus I should be entitled to getting a refund......

I don't think selling the AMD games on should have any input on refund stuff etc. since that is down to AMD and not MSI or ocuk.

No idea, I just thought the 290's ran hot regardless of cooler etc. anyway so didn't think much of my temps until moogleys posted about the problem.

What do you think I should do? Do you think it would have much impact on temps?

I have set a custom fan profile in MSI AB to give me a quiet fan profile, not that it was loud before, but the less noise the better. i set it to run 45% @ 75c, its practically silent at that, i run BF4 in Mantle with vSync off, so the GPU is at 99% / 100% constantly, the highest it will get is 76c with the fans at 46%.

I don't thing the MSI Gaming cooler is quite that good, but its shouldn't run a more than 80c with 50% fan, it really shouldn't. :)

No not yet, going to do that tomorrow and post photos, need to get to bed now.

If it isn't a big gap and you guys think my temps are fine, I'll probably just keep it.

Thanks for all the input and help! Much appreciated :)

I have set a custom fan profile in MSI AB to give me a quiet fan profile, not that it was loud before, but the less noise the better. i set it to run 45% @ 75c, its practically silent at that, i run BF4 in Mantle with vSync off, so the GPU is at 99% / 100% constantly, the highest it will get is 76c with the fans at 46%.

I don't thing the MSI Gaming cooler is quite that good, but its shouldn't run a more than 80c with 50% fan, it really shouldn't. :)

Hmmm damn :(, I will contact ocuk tomorrow and see what they say and see what others on here think I should do.

Would be great if I could measure the temp of my room!

Here are the temps of my system overall:

dQMpBNn.png

edit:

left figures are current
middle figures are min.
right figures are max

Last edited:
I just took my GPU out and had a look, I don't think there was any gap on the other side, tried to take photos but failed miserably :o

CI1P0Qrh.jpg

bYBzwu9h.jpg

uGi5YeSh.jpg

What type of case do you have and what are your fan setups?

Antec P100 case

2x120mm antec two cool fans at the front on the high presetting
1x120 mm gelid fan (originally for my cpu cooler) and 1x120mm bitfenix spectre fan at the top of the case
1x120mm akassa apache at the back

CPU heatsink has a 120mm akassa apache fan.

I can fit 2x140mm fans at the top so will be getting those sometime in the next few weeks.

its probably your cpu idle temps affecting gpu idle temps? shankly's cpu will idle in the low 30's compared to yours

Could be. I am going to be upgrading to the i5 4670k when the price drops in the next few months so hoping that might help....

It's the Ram chip that's half covered at the bottom of the card nearest the PCIe slot. It's hard to tell by looking but if you squeeze the cooler together you can see it make contact and then pull apart if that makes sense.

I have my mates card here now and his is worse than mine. There is no thermal pad at all on the VRM part so it's either fallen out or just not fitted ?

I have emailed MSi to see what they say about it.

I am pretty sure that mine is making contact, hard to say, eye sight isn't great :p :o

Will be interesting to see what MSI say about it, if they acknowledge that it is a fault then I will get a refund.

Just had a quick 15 min go on metro last light, room is reasonably cool currently, certainly cooler than last night anyway!

GPU temp - around 84/85
VRM 1 temp - 80/81
VRM 2 temp - still stuck, this time at 61

Fan speed - 64%

Last edited:
Ok my input, my temps seem to be about 55c when playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer but if I start BF4 the temps will go high 80s to mid 90s at 100% fan usage.
I've though there's been something wrong with my card for a while but when I called Overclockers the guy on the other end said it was fine.

Ok my input, my temps seem to be about 55c when playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer but if I start BF4 the temps will go high 80s to mid 90s at 100% fan usage.
I've though there's been something wrong with my card for a while but when I called Overclockers the guy on the other end said it was fine.

Have a look and see if the heatsink is making contact correctly as pics above.

Will have to check tonight when back home, if it is I'll be quite annoyed as I raised my high temp problems well within the 28 days of buying the card and was told by Overclockers it's perfectly normal.

Guys it looks like my layout is different to you guys?
See images

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

Edit
Same image twice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom